What kind of home security do you have?

@luke_ouellette I have a two year old tri-color Aussie and she’s our first line of defense… but she’s so sweet that I don’t know that she’d do anything other than lick someone until they want to leave. Aussies are the best though… SO smart! And training her was pretty easy because she just loves to learn.

3 Likes

That was my experience when we rescued our Aussie. My mom was able to train her in a day which amazed us because we’ve never had a dog that’s so smart and just wants to please us.
And yes, our Aussie is very sweet too but she’s gotten a bit… snappy on occasion so I’d hope she’d bite someone if she realized that they weren’t supposed to be in the house. Same goes for all of our other dogs too.

3 Likes

I have SimpliSafe company! I paid under $500 for 3 cameras and doorbell camera and I have to separate canary cameras connected over the web. Of course small monitor monthly fees for various alerts such as Break ins, Fire and Smoke pings you immediately. No phone line required. They also allow you to pay with Affirm works like a credit card you can pay monthly installation 3, 6, 9 or 12 months. I purchased my system with installments and my payments are $23 a month overall interest you will pay $23 extra dollars at the end. Pet Friendly and Customer Service reps are absolutely amazing reminds me when I speak with USCCA reps.

2 Likes

That sounds like an awesome option, @rwsisson! And good customer service? Major bonus!!

Pet-friendly is a definite must for me.

FYI - USCCA’s award winning Member Service and Social Care Advisors have been known to discuss pets from time to time. :wink:

2 Likes

The company is great they go by the name of SimpliSafe. I have the package “The Haven” I believe this package is $392 and but there’s cheaper packages. I purchased this package but added a few other related items for my wife such as: Motion, extra key Fob for my wife and couple more cameras extras censors etc. I’ve installed in my homes blind spots. I have an unique integrated system that I can turn on lights, AC/Heat and even open the garage door at least give it bump to send a message that somebody might be home. I’ve done this on camera before and those bumps took off running like Usain Bolt. :grinning::grinning::rofl::rofl::rofl:Here’s the package of the link to look into the companies equipment. Like I said Customer Service Reps. Are helpful and respectful definitely not pushy at all.

1 Like

@Dawn Yes please this would be wonderful with easy installments added to our monthly costs for members huh huh :wink::slightly_smiling_face:

@Thad I see makes sense. Main reason why I have multiple vest for various occasions but I don’t have something I can wear taking my wife out on a date but I am looking for the right product. Those costs run around $400-$500 sheesh! You can purchase plates here and there on EBay or at local state gun show to give you hands on visual. Just some more ideas maybe…

2 Likes

The jacket featured in the video is about $350 which is expensive but, not as bad

3 Likes

Oh that’s not bad, recent company I seen had there going for almost $500. What’s the name of the company providing this speculator product?

1 Like
3 Likes

I intend to get one. They are rated to stop up to 44mag or 12ga slug and, most weight 6 pounds or less depending on size

2 Likes

@Thad Nice thanks for the info. Wait the price has dropped to $329.00. :grimacing::flushed::flushed::frowning: Any lower than $300 is a no brainer.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think it’s just on sale right now so I posted regular price. There’s also a 4 week lead time.

2 Likes

I live in an apartment but that doesn’t mean that you can’t have security. Thankfully there are some budget minded options as well as the high end surveillance systems. A Ring doorbell is a great start but you want to have (at the least) an IP camera indoors as well. I had bought a small inexpensive 3 camera wifi system when I was caretaker for my father who had advanced Alzheimer’s and tended to want to wander off. Each camera has motion alarms which let me know if he went out a door (cameras were mounted outside) and let me know if he decided to go for a walk. Since he passed away, I use them at my apartment (one inside and the other two outside). I can see who is approaching my door, keep an eye on my motorcycle (I live in an area where vehicles get stolen) and still be able to see if someone enters my apartment.

4 Likes

I have a chihuahua and a Australian shepherd trust me they hear everything. I live in the country the chihuahua locks on the sound and my aussie at 80 pounds holds whatever at bay. After that it’s whatever force is necessary!

4 Likes

I love it that your dogs work as a team, @DavidLH1! Did you do any special training with them to get them to work together?

2 Likes

Hi @Dawn , (this is me taking a deep breath as I have a lot of security items in our apartment)

We have a RING doorbell and through many updates it has now become a very good security item for the front door.

Then to protect the inside, we bought and installed the SimpliSafe Security System and now have added an indoor camera to go with that system. Then we purchased 3 window break sensors in case someone decided to break the windows to get into the apartment.

Also for the inside, I have 5 D-Link cameras that I can see what is going on in various rooms of our apartment while at home and while away too and I have a D-Link DVR to record the footage.

If that is not enough, we live on the ground floor and apartment windows are not the most secure so I cut and installed pieces of 1” by 2” wood strips on the top of the bottom window to keep it from being opened by anyone on the outside.

Since we live in an apartment there is only so much I can do but when we get a house, watch out! I will be going for outside cameras, lighting and more.

Stay tuned for more.

4 Likes

Great point about the windows, @NJStraightShooter. My windows have the built in security tabs that make it so the windows can only open so far.

I don’t 100% rely on those tabs, but every little bit makes it that much harder for someone to get in my home.

3 Likes

When my kids were new borns and my wife was still recovering from her c section we had two people ride up into our driveway at night on a motorcycle while one grabbed a lighthouse statue out of my garden the other went to my side door and tried gaining entry, after no success they left. I had called the police when I heard the door handle but without a B&E they really weren’t interested. After that I took the security a little overboard. I bought a monitored alarm system, put flood lights all around the exterior, put cameras at every angle of the house, we’ve always had large dogs as well and worked with my wife what to do in the event of a home invasion and firearm tactics. While I do have double locks on every entry (windows included) and reinforced doors as well as glass break sensors and sensors on the window sashes. I want to look into security film for the windows, does anyone have any experience with these products (or suggestions on type and brand)?

5 Likes

If you decide to order one, just keep in mind they take awhile to get. I am still waiting on mine and my sons and we ordered in November.

3 Likes

@Dawn,

I have those plastic tabs in my apartment too… at least some of the windows used to. They broke off and is the reason I would rather trust wood than plastic.

3 Likes