What is your religion and why?

Thanks @Dawn

7 Likes

It has been my experience that many religious organizations focus over much on the afterlife and predictions of future events. Of the relatively few (out of over 4000) faiths I am familiar with, the core teachings seem to be more about how we should live together and behave toward each other in the here and now. It is these teachings I find to me most useful and, when practiced by the faithful, the best indicator of the value(s) of a particular faith. I have found that those who focus on how their faith applies to this life have been better ambassadors for their faith than those who focus on its predictions for the next.

Offered as is/where is, no warranties expressed or implied. Caveat emptor.

6 Likes

I have also heard it said that the believer and the atheist are no so far apart as may be imagined. Of the 4000 religions in the world, the believer rejects 3999 while the atheist rejects 4000.

So close.

11 Likes

I don’t have a “religion.” I have a relationship with Jesus. That makes me a Christian, or as we were encouraged to say on mission trips to Chennai, “Jesus follower.” “Christian” is a politically-charged term in India and elsewhere.

The “why” is much more a bit of arcana. One afternoon in 1996, I was talking with my boss about his faith (I was a seeker at the time), and suddenly realized what was missing in my life - a relationship with God.

I was raised as a Catholic, but walked away from that church when I turned 18. My parents were quite disappointed, but of my three brothers, one is nominally Christian, and the other two are various forms of agnostic.

Today, I belong to a non-denominational Christian church out of the Southern Baptist tradition. I read and study the Bible regularly and lead a Bible study in our home (virtually now, of course).

I have heard it said that it takes more faith to be an atheist than to be a Christian.

11 Likes

Thank you @Dawn for allowing this thread to stay.

8 Likes

Try to remember that the actions of sinners (which we all are) should not be confused with the Lord. A great many people loose their faith because of the actions and judgemental attitudes of so called Christians. This caused me to withdraw from the Lord for many years.

But one day I remembered that the nature of sinful humans is not the nature of God and His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ. I had to remind myself that no group of people should make me loose my relationship with Jesus. Fully God and fully man and the only man who never sinned.

This is His nature. Not ours. A church is a big room full of sinners. Please don’t let them build a barrier between you and our Savior.

Thinking about it this way let me forgive the judgemental and holier than thou people in my old church. Once I let that go, it was so easy to let Lord Jesus back in my heart.

God bless and protect you all in these difficult times.

9 Likes

That is the truth. The reason I stopped going to church was for that very reason. That didn’t stop me from believing in God. In fact it strengthened my Faith. I realized how much easier it was to pray to God without all the pressures of the church and the people in them. I can read the Bible anytime I want. I’m not saying church is bad. I’m just saying there are a lot of people wanting to push there direct beliefs on you. It’s not for everyone and I’m not saying that every church is like this. But I have been to a lot of churches over the years like it.

8 Likes

I have found a lot of value in discussing in a community the revelations we each get from the Bible. Sometimes, my interpretations are wrong.

6 Likes

Everyone has different beliefs - some believe in being able to carry a firearm and some do not. The same goes for a higher power.

If this conversation does not interest you, that is fine. There’s a thread in the “off topic” area about cars which isn’t my cup of tea. I read it because I make sure everyone is staying within the Community Guidelines. If I don’t like a topic (not a car fan, sorry guys) then I just go on about my business on other topics that do interest me (Sigs anyone :wink: ).

Not every topic is going to appeal to everyone. And we’re OK with that as long as the discussion is respectful.

13 Likes

Do you assume I have no interest in this topic? I have great interest in intolerance. I can’t help what some read into a statement. There are some things I don’t understand , so I ask. Only wish to know “why”

1 Like

I’m sorry, I’m not sure what you’re referring to. This isn’t a thread about intolerance it’s a thread about beliefs.

10 Likes

I’m a Christian without any affiliation to an “organized” religion. The church (body of Christ) is composed of all believers/practitioners in Christ. I follow the New Testament. Our Father convinced me through His written Word we can be forgiven of our sins through His Son’s blood. If we accept Jesus the Christ as our savior and serve Him we will be partakers of His blessings.

10 Likes

Problem #1:

You seem to see “religion” as a matter of “intolerance.” Many participating in this thread feel otherwise, our theological disagreements notwithstanding.

Problem #2:

When we communicate, we are responsible for encoding the message, selecting the communication method, sending the message, and confirming that the message was received and understood by the receiver. (Comm 101, Freshman year…)

You tossed out a snarky comment and then want to hide behind “I can’t help what some read into a statement.” That’s a bit disingenuous, don’t you think? If you want to engage on this topic, then engage. You won’t score any points by upping the snark level.

9 Likes

@David-65. What is it your trying to understand? What is it you want us to understand. Please be clear if your going to comment. I don’t want to shun you away. This is a topic of beliefs. But you have to stay respectful. no matter what your beliefs are I’m going to respect what you say because it’s your beliefs, it’s your right and it’s your free will.

I ask the same to everybody else responding to this thread. If you have a question ask it directly. If you have a comment do it respectfully. Please do not use sarcasm or any snide comments.

7 Likes

I will try and make this simple. I trust you will tell me. Why is this snarky? Had to look that up…

1 Like

This is snarky and disrespectful.

7 Likes

Ok so what I’m asking is, why is what important to us?
In your statement you bring up ooga booga, to you is ooga booga Jesus Christ? Is that what you’re asking? Why is it important to us about Jesus Christ tragic end. is that the question you’re asking?

If it is your question, I will answer it now. Jesus Christ was described to us as our savior. He was born through a virgin and his sole purpose on this Earth was to die for our sins. Along the way he performed miracles and had disciples. But what was important was his death.
It was prophesized long before it ever happened. Jesus Christ met all the prophecies. This is why we pray through the blood of Christ, this is why we say in Jesus name amen. Only through Christ can we pray to God. It says it in the Bible the only way to God is through his son Jesus Christ

Now if that is not the question you were asking, can you please clarify what it is you’re asking.

5 Likes

I love Jesus, I can’t judge anyone lest I be judged. I must have Mercy, if I don’t have Mercy God will have no Mercy on me. I am a simple man. I just try to do what Jesus did, love and let live. God will judge me. Everyone will have a chance to know Jesus. And in the end, standing before the Judgement throne, I know that every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord.

7 Likes

Thank you. At least I know what but not why. I didn’t wish to make this my lifes work. I don’t think like other people. So once again. I’m done. Take care one & all.

3 Likes

Well I might be the ODD BALL of this thread. and I say that because I’m Jewish. And I do believe in G-d. But not in Christ. From what I know about Christ he was in fact Jewish and a teacher. And it was his followers that turned it into Christianity. and that is fine. No problem with that either. And I think that Islam started the same way but using Muhammad as their Prophet which Islam is based on as well. Jewish people do recognize Christ. but just not in the way of being the SAVIOR. And that is fine too. It is what Christianity is based on. Which if fine it is the Religion. And ALL religions have their own beliefs for them. But what I don’t like or agree with is when one religion tries to force their beliefs on everyone that is a non-believer which some do all of the time. They move to a new country that isn’t of their religion. and then they start to push for their new country to change to their religion and also try to force their culture on them as well. And it is also ALL part of their religion to do it as well. And it should not be done NO MATTER WHAT THE RELIGION IS. I welcome any thoughts on this as well.

994214687-L-jewish_dogs

14 Likes