What is your favorite carry pistol?

Winter here again so I am carrying my PT-709 in a OWB holster w/2 extra mags. But because of the extra clothing and heavy coat I also carry a Beretta Tomcat .32 acp. in my outside coat pocket also. :+1:

1 Like

Iā€™ve been carrying the shield 45 for almost a year now. Itā€™s the gun Iā€™ve trained with the most now, and I love it. Itā€™s reliable, shootable, and easy to carry.

I may start cycling a full-size M&P in occasionally. The grip length is close to the same as my shield 45 with the +1 mag, itā€™s just a lot thicker. Should be easily concealable, especially in winter. That may not happen for some time though because I would like to run some carry ammo through it, and thatā€™s hard to come by and very expensive these days. So Iā€™ll be sticking to the shield 45 probably full time for the next year.

3 Likes

Springfield XDs in .45

The first year I carried it was a S&W 642 which, with the moon clips, remains a trusted reliable back up when the XDs canā€™t be carried. ( which is almost never )

3 Likes

Sig P365 because it just disappears.

5 Likes

Depending on the shirt Iā€™m wearing, either a P365 or P365XL w/Romeo Zero. I keep a Canik TP9 Combat Elite Executive for home defense.

2 Likes

My EDC is a Springfield Armory XD-e in 45 ACP. Sometimes I will carry a Springfield XD mod 2 in 9mm.

1 Like

P365 XL with Sentinel red dot mostly as IWB, sometimes P365 SAS when pocket carry

1 Like

Iā€™m full time M&P 9. I switched to AIWB.

A lot of this was after binge watching ā€œActive Self Protectā€. Having a bigger gun means + accuracy, + followup shots + capacity (for multiple assailants). Thereā€™s a lot of value in ā€œcarry the biggest gun you comfortably canā€.

2 Likes

My favorite? The two I have:

1 Like

Glock 43x

3 Likes

Right now itā€™s the Glock 45 Iā€™ve moved into the EDC role.

2 Likes

Without a doubt, my favorite pistol is my 1911-a1 commander, .45acp. Being an old school guy, I learned to shoot in the military, when the 1911a1 was the issue pistol. Through something that could only happen in the military, (Catch 22) I wound up assigned to operate the base pistol range, and instruct pilots on basic fundamentals of shooting the 1911 before deploying to the S. China Sea off the coast of Vietnam. Furthermore my ā€œjobā€ extended to shooting on the base pistol team. I know, tough job but someone had to do it. Right?

Then I became a police officer in the day when the wheel gun was king, 1971. [S&W mod. 19, 4", .357 mag.] Again I wound up shooting in S. California LEO revolver competition. I carried my beloved revolver until 1987, when the police departments began transitioning to semi-autos. In the not so good era of doing that, the 1911ā€™s had a bad reputation among the ignorant brass hats, of being ā€œjam-O-maticsā€ and not authorized for on duty carry. So I opted for a S&W ā€œwonder 9ā€ model 59, 9mm. That filled in the gap until the development of the .40 S&W, when In the early 90ā€™s I went with a S&W 4006 in both patrol and investigations .

Round about 2001, I retired and since have carried a variety of ā€œfavoriteā€ pistols. Currently I carry a Springfield XDs, 9mm in cool / cold Oregon weather, and for summer or need for deep concealment, the Ruger LCP in .380. Last weekend I completed my annual HR-218 qualification with the XD with a ā€œcleanā€ target, so I can continue carrying as I travel ā€œall across the fruited plainsā€ in retirement.

I somehow broke through the ammo barrier last month, and got my hands on Black Hills Honey Badger in both .380 and 9mm. After my admittedly unscientific, but very impressive testing, Iā€™m carrying those rounds in both of my EDC pistols with full confidence. My former duty guns are family heirlooms, in my will to go to my son, but I still take them out for a dance every now and then.

Retired and living in the realm of respectable obscurity.

4 Likes

Kimber Micro9 conceals nicely and a great gun.

3 Likes

Springfield XDM 5.25" 10mm, would be nice and have a great holster (Urban Carry), just the right size.

Have ammo, but it is hard to find here.

1 Like

The list is long and distinguished. :rofl:

1 Like

Sig Sauer P365 with 10rd pinky extension mag in a Crossbreed Reckoning holster. 12rd mag for backup.

1 Like

My trusty S&W 36ā€¦

4 Likes

Is your XDE a 9mm or 45acp ? I have a 45acp that I really like and am considering for an EDC. Not as many rounds, and 9mm is quite potent nowadays, but I just like the feel and performance at the range.

1 Like

I have a 9mm XDe. A while ago I made a decision to focus on three calibers: 22 LR, 9mm and .308.
I have .357 Magnum revolvers, a nice Kimber .45 ACP, a Remington 7mm ā€¦ The problem is that you can go broke (especially nowadays) keeping a good stock of all the various types of ammo you would need to stay proficient in all of these. So I decided that I would focus on the 22LR, 9mm and .308 as my well practiced and proficient rounds. Naturally, I would want my carry gun to be one of the well practiced and proficient rounds so the 9mm is it. I have found that the .45 is only marginally better than modern 9mm rounds for muzzle energy but you get fewer rounds in the magazine. So, I do have a nice 1911 in .45 and I keep a couple of 100 rounds for it on hand but to be honest I seldom shoot it. Same with my .357. 9mm is my goto pistol round. Notable exception is my carrying of the Ruger LCP which is chambered in .380 ACP (or 9mm Luger Short as it was originally called.). I do work in practice with the LCP in the late Spring in anticipation of carrying it in the summer but I have to tell you that of all the guns, that little guy has the worst felt recoil. The small size and light weight of the pistol means all the recoil goes straight into your palm. After about 30 rounds with that pistol I find myself messaging my shooting hand palm. The thing is that with summer garb that little LCP is just too easy to carry and conceal as compared to its bigger brothers. During jacket weather (Spring, Fall and Winter) the 9x19mm is the pistol of choice.

1 Like

#1 (EDC) Kimber EVO SP 9mm
#2 (When Iā€™m feeling a litter lighter) Springfield 911 .380acp

1 Like