What is "woke"?

I can’t disagree with this:

7 Likes

ANSWER: “Bullshit! Your rejection of truth and fact doesn’t mean they go away. I reject your attempts to pervert them to gain power.”

10 Likes

Interesting to say the least.

3 Likes

Back in the 20th century, attending (black) churches, there was always one woman in the congregation who would remind everyone to “stay woke!” It meant, generally, to pay attention to the way black people were being treated. There was a strong hint of conspiracy theory to it, but let’s be honest, it’s conspiracy theory based on historical facts. The government repressed African Americans, both in subtle and overt ways. Telling us to “stay woke” was both a reminder of the past, and a warning that oppression was not just in the past. My own personal observation is that about half the congregation would agree and nod, and another half would kind of silently roll their eyes and wait for the subject to change.

Somewhere in recent times, “woke” came to be equated with anything and everything related to activists on the left. Every hashtag regurgitating slacktivist is called “woke,” no matter how lame their cause. (Bill Burr hilariously blames white women. I won’t attempt to explain it, you can look him up on YouTube.)

I think it’s a shame. Growing up, “woke” was a concept that involved inherent distrust based on history. Some folks could get a little nutty with it, but in general it was a reminder to look out for ourselves and each other, because our overlords do not have our best interests in mind. This new version of “woke” that was stolen from black churches is quite the opposite, in many ways. It implies that you should follow your leaders and social media influencers, and don’t think too hard about the marching orders we get from on high.

7 Likes

I find it frustrating how many words and symbols get appropriated by small groups these days who twist their meaning and impose the new definitions on the rest of us.

Rainbows aren’t beautiful atmospheric phenomena any more and :ok_hand:isn’t OK any more. Though I’m surprised they haven’t banned it from the emoji options yet!

8 Likes

I’m not buying the left’s vocabulary.

They’ve misused the word racist in their attempt to shut down honest and intelligent discussion of various topics.

Also, redefined marriage and determination of life in the womb.

And the worst of them all, from “pastor” Rick Warren:
“What is a pastor?” :man_facepalming:t4:

7 Likes

Amen.
And Awoman.

8 Likes

I believe you should have also quoted this from the column:

“NO!!” will shriek the Woke. “Submit to us, or we will destroy you.” ANSWER: you grimly smile and say, “finally, you speak truth.”

And then you either submit or prepare to fight because they will indeed try to destroy you. There’s no compromise, no middle ground.

7 Likes

Sounds like an ultimatum!

5 Likes

Every member of the human academy will have to give an account of their deeds while in the body in that great getting up morning. I practice not judging people’s proclivities while ignoring my own. I don’t argue ones spiritual or religious beliefs, and here’s why: We are ALL going to find out sooner or later anyway.

And by the way, I’ve been in the gospel ministry for the last 35 years, and a pastor for the last 20.

6 Likes

Woke is stupidity on steroids. Next stage is Idiocracy.

10 Likes

I never heard of it until recent. Thought this review gave food for thought. Don’t let who’s speaking deter you, you’ll be surprised on the twist. Worth it.

5 Likes

THAT WAS WORTH THE TIME TO READ!!! Thank you for sharing. I am going to get a lot of mileage from that l article.

2 Likes

6 Likes

If the fighting ever comes I will be (woke) to the fact I was right and all those whom think I’m crazy for stocking up on arms, ammunition,and survival supplies can pound a beach of sand.

6 Likes

One thing I give him credit for is he does always present both sides of an issue. He doesn’t just toe the line or anything.
We saw him live several years ago and he was absolutely hilarious.
And of course there were some angry people in the audience, a couple even left.
He deals in facts not emotion which I can appreciate.

5 Likes

I enjoyed Maher when he was trying to be funny, but not so much since he decided to take himself so seriously. However, I’ve heard many people who have been to his show state that he’s a very gracious host, especially to those with whom he disagrees. This is a nice contrast to the all-too-common attack shows that pollute the news channels.

And Maher supports most of the Bill of Rights, so he has that going for him. Now if he would just come around on the 2nd Amendment…

5 Likes

When TSHTF, “WOKE” becomes food, fuel or bait!

Yesterday I experienced the new generation. I needed a card laminated. A young girl behind counter approximately 18 - 21 gleefully laminated my wallet sized card in an 8 x 10 sheet. When done, I asked if she could cut about an inch from the card and I’ll trim the rest at home. Wait for it, the reply was “what’s an inch?”
Mind you this is in a pack and ship location. A business dedicated to weights and measures!
I figure she’ll last a week! So…I did my part and educated her, informed her that from the first knuckle of your thumb is approximately an inch,
She’s still staring at it!

We better start praying these people don’t end up as an airline pilots or attending in an emergency room!

Woke has no place in society!

7 Likes

Should have tried “25 millimeters” and REALLY thrown a wrench into the works…

4 Likes

4 Likes