What have you learned recently regarding firearms

Like this chart and description. Thanks Harvey

3 Likes

Just like one country song says about fun, No such thing as to much lol

2 Likes

That it’s probably not a good idea to clean your gun on a table in your front yard.

3 Likes

…in your underwear and drinking a beer…

2 Likes

Been Guilty of that for sure. We have a home range which is a through the woods hike, Anyway at times as we come back up after shooting we all sit at a big table converse and clean,and thats long rifles ,handguns and a shotgun here and there. The road we live on I would say it 98.9% gun friendly

2 Likes

This months Concealed carry mag has some great info. Check it out.

2 Likes

I learned you can feed a round into an AR with a mini 14 mag, but it may mess you up adjusting a gas block :laughing:

1 Like

Surprisingly most people do not understand minute of angle scope or red dot adjustments >> Example: A one minute of angle adjustment
( One click ) Will move the strike of the bullet 1 inch at 100 yards, how much will one click move the strike of the bullet at 50 yards ?
Also most people buy scopes without knowing if they’re buying a first focal plane or a second focal plane scope.
These things are not critical but in order to get the (most) out of your equipment starts with understanding how it functions.
PS: Craig is the go to man for your questions.
:us::us::us:

2 Likes

Thanks for your input @Blacky and I’m trying to educate myself with rifles and get more acquainted with them. I also agree with @Craig6 being the man with his knowledge of rifles and any questions he may be able to give you an answer.

2 Likes

I learned the differences between Northern Summer carry and Southern Summer carry recently. And it cost me several hundreds of dollars in upgrades of handgun, holster and magazine holders.

You’re welcome Sig Sauer :kissing_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

Thanks for you scope comments, Blacky. I need educating on that.

I’ve CB one to recognize and accept that I cannot s as Keats carry. I go to the VA and base a lot.

2 Likes

My firearms are worth more then I paid for them, value price set by the need of the buyer. :us:

2 Likes

@Blacky I’ma have to make a couple points on your comments.

A “Click” is a noise not an adjustment. Most folks never take the time to figure out if their “click” is actually doing what they think it is doing.

1 MOA is NOT 1" at 100 yards it is 1.047" (there are more numbers but 1.047 is sufficient) The reason the .047" is important is that not only do the numbers multiply as the distances gets further out they are also multiplied again when you adjust your sights. So in general if you are zero’d at 100 yards and you and your boolit computer determine that you need 44 MOA of UP to get to 1000 yards and your adjustment value is 1/4" for every “click” you are going to come in low.
44 MOA = 176 “CLICKS” (They put numbers on the knobs for a reason)
44 * 1.047 = 46.068"
46.068 * 10 = 460.68" (Remember your at 10X the distance you are zero’d at)
Your scope adjusts in inches so you get 44"
44*10 = 440"

You just missed low by 20.68" (I can do this in Mil’s and IPHY too for the same results)

You are ABSOLUTELY correct in that the key to the above is to know what your scope is actually doing because most run of the mill scopes do NOT adjust to 1/4" or 1/4 MOA. To determine that you must have a scope mounted to a rifle capable of determining it. I can put my best optic on a 2 minute rifle and I will never know what it really does, the rifle will allow you to determine the scopes capability and verse visa. There is a whole lot more to be said on this topic but most folks are happy with minute of pie plate at 100 yards so I’ll leave it be.

Cheers,

Craig6

8 Likes

@Craig6 >> I’m good with that info but do you think many other people will understand it ? Hopefully the points I made were well taken and easy to understand. Good point about clicks, some adjustments are friction not click. PS: do you think most people know IE: ( let’s say 1 moa. ) adjustment at 100 yards will not move the strike of the bullet 1 moa.
at 50 yards ? ( that’s the point in function not numbers I was trying to make ) Unless you are doing long range shooting a 1st focal plain scope is really not needed. Again I made the point as educational ( to understand how your equipment works )
PS: I missed my target by ( .0235” @ 50 yards ) bad day at the range for shooting mosquitoes.
THANKS

3 Likes

@Blacky You really need to tighten up your shooting :rofl: :rofl:

You are correct that inside a hundred yards things are pretty small. That being said a MOA (Minute of Angle) is a MOA at any range because it is not a linear measurement it is a measurement of ANGLE. So 1 MOA at 50 yards is .5235" as you correctly pointed out. While .0235" is very small if you wanted to know what your scope was doing and you had a rifle accurate enough to do it with but only 50 yards you could dial on 10 MOA from zero and with any luck your boolit would impact 5.235" (5 1/4" for gov’t work) in the direction you dialed. If you dialed on 20MOA it would hit at 10.47" (remember you are half the 100 yard zero). That’s where stacking numbers can actually help you figure stuff out.

Cheers,

Craig

3 Likes

@Craig6 >> thank you for the information that is important for ( longer )
Shooting distances. Point well taken ( ouch )
Cheers
BLACKY

2 Likes

I keep seeing the word “boolit”. I thought it was just a joke or you guys just couldn’t spell worth a flip. I looked it up and learned that it’s a new term devised to delineate the difference between a machine made bullet and a cast bullet (aka boolit). Am I correct?

4 Likes

@KillJoy >> yep I think some kind of a chat room or organization made
A big deal about it. ( NEVER ENDING SUPPLY OF BOOLSHIT )
But not BULLETS - oops. Is Boolit French ?

3 Likes

I use it as kind of a trade mark in my posts. You may notice I use other terms similarly. Not all my “special” words can be used in every post but many can. I do not participate in the sanctification of my satirical misspelling, it’s just me being me.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

No hassles my brother I know what you meant. :+1::+1:

2 Likes