What happens after you Defend Yourself

You mean ole Tater Salad?

That’s him

I agree in New York State if an police officer can arrest another active or retired officers they are hailed as hero’s.

I stay very clear from law enforcement. If they ask me for anything like my license that’s all they will get unless they as me for my insurance other than that I have no friendly conversation.

Keep my mouth shut I had nj parkway police state to me one time you are retired law enforcement and retired military veterans. Retired you no longer count.

With that said my firearm is my personal protection firearm. Considering I carry the HR218.

Don’t tell them your caring or anything unless they ask.

Keep your mouth shut.
Once you were active we use to be blue once retired your one big fish if they can arrest you.

@Mike164

2 Likes

Be very careful with these new breed of law enforcement officers. Big time Browne point and promotion point. If they can collar a retired law enforcement officers and retired military service members they will climb the ladder quickly.

Don’t speak
Don’t get friendly with them
Answer their question period no more.

They are not your friends. They will trap you off using any tactics. They all seem to forget they are going to retire too.

1 Like

Since I have been grown I have had nothing but good experiences with police officers. I usually go out of my way to be friendly. Maybe they just want me to go away.

You may or may not want to answer their question

I will cooperate 100% but first I need my attorney

1 Like

But do you understand what is being asked? A simple example: do you know what color the sky is? If you answer: yes it’s blue….that’s the wrong answer. Let me know if you need help figuring out the correct answer.

Is it really the wrong answer, though?

NASA science says the sky is blue

Forbes says they are violet, but we see them as blue (I would argue, in court if necessary, that if we see them as blue, it’s not wrong to say they are blue).

Encyclopedia britannica also says it’s blue

If blue is wrong, there are a lot of folks out there that need to make changes.

Read the question again

1 Like

I guess, but, in typical conversation it is generally understood that the question is really asking for the answer of blue, or “it depends”, or looks up and describes current color

I guess I get it, you didn’t directly answer technically to the letter the question as it was presented (like saying “Yes, I do”) but rather answered what colloquially we would understand the question to be.

Kind of like, if you ask the officer “Can I go now?” we take that to mean “May I go now?”, even though technically you just asked the officer to tell you whether or not you are capable of going, like, do your legs work so that you can “go” (thinking back to an elementary school teacher who, when we sad “can I go to the bathroom” would say “I don’t know, can you?” because we were supposed to say “may I”

Is a jury going to hang you out to dry because you answered with Blue?

I guess we don’t know, and really, that is why “I will cooperate 100% but first I need my attorney” really is the bottom line

As with all things when dealing with the police you have to be careful of what you say. The correct answer is “yes I know what color it is”. The question is to get you to realize you can implicate yourself without knowing by even answering an innocent question or give information without realizing that you are giving unasked for information. Which can lead to other questions not so innocent about you or your actions or intentions.

That’s why when I was talking to the LEO in another thread I said I don’t answer questions. He didn’t like that because it makes his job harder and he can’t twist anything I say if s/he is a tyrant control freak LEO. LEOs don’t know the law, will make up laws and lie to you to control you or get you to unknowing confess.

1 Like

True, that is a situation of given unasked information, but, IMO, what information you are giving is more important than whether or not it was asked. IE, the color of the sky isn’t information I’m worried about giving.

But I get the gist of your point.

Be his buddy back, help him understand that you want to help him, help you, which is why you need to speak with your Attorney! :grinning: And until then, you have nothing else to offer…

2 Likes

I don’t know Mr Ayoob and admit he probably has forgotten more than I can learn. That said, in general I don’t like the advice he gives. I feel as if he is too pro police and not a neutral individual advising the self defense community. For example I once heard him say to point out evidence and witnesses. Although that might be helpful, I can just as easily corrupt the scene if I’m not careful. Also its not my job. The police are trained in these matters, I’m not.

My job is not to be arrested and to find a lawyer capable of defending me. A big thanks to USCCA for the insurance making that possible without becoming homeless.

Others have made similar recommendations (point out evidence and witnesses), including Tom Grieve. Tom’s example in the USCCA content is maybe the police won’t recognize that the screwdriver on the garage floor was used as a weapon by the attacker, but if you point it out, now they realize it’s evidence instead of just something that was there because you were in a garage. And also if a witness leaves without being identified, that might be the end of the chances of their testimony supporting you (My personal opinion is that witnesses likely to lie to assist with the attacker’s version are going to do so anyway, whether you point them out to the police for the police to question, or not, just sayin’)

1 Like

Kind of an anecdotal point here, crime scene photo shown to us, on the jury, clearly showed a crack pipe sitting next to a glass pipe laying right next to the victim. When the defense asked the crime scene tech why it hadn’t been logged and entered into evidence she said “The lead detective didn’t tell us to pick it up”.

2 Likes

And maybe the police will start to think I may know more, such as I’m the attacker, because I pointed out a screwdriver on the floor. Again the police are trained, I’m not. Police look for a person to tie to a crime not necessarily the actual person that did the crime.

It is possible that Tom Grieve and Mas Ayoob and the other lawyers and experts are wrong. Nobody is perfect.

Me, if I defended myself, and my attacker was using a screwdriver, I believe my choice, if I am able to think well enough after the fact, will be to point out the screwdriver to police to reduce the chances it is missed from evidence

That is the whole point. I want a lawyer to use as a sounding board so I don’t accidentally say something that will implicate me.