What guns have you found difficult, if not impossible, to field strip?

Colt 1908 vest pistol.

2 Likes

I was not there, and no this wasnā€™t me, but a person I know bought a Sig P938 subcompact ā€œ1911ā€. He cleaned, oiled, reassembled, and brought it to the range. His previous experience was with striker fire.

Iā€™m not sure how, but he loaded it at the range and took one shot. I have been told by reliable witnesses the barrel came out the front and went part way down the range. :rofl:

The RO picked up the pieces, reassembled it, and emptied a magazine with no issues. The guy didnā€™t trust it so traded it for a new striker at the LGS.

4 Likes

That does sound funny when it is the ā€œotherā€ person. I can understand the person that it happened to likely did not find it nearly as amusing. He clearly did not re-assemble it correctly. His not trusting it was likely more do to he did not know what he did wrong, and was concerned he would make a similar mistake again. It was probably for the best that he sold it.

That reminds me of a friend when we went to the range, years ago, to shoot. He was a fairly new shooter and it had been quite awhile since he had practiced. A couple of mags in, he asks me to look at his gun as it would not chamber a round. I open the chamber and see the top round facing backward. I drop the mag and unload it, finding all the rounds were in backward. I was just amazed that he was able to do that, and that he did that after properly loading the other mags. I found that quite amusing, but I did not laugh. He already felt foolish when the issue was discovered. He did not need me to laugh. I just went over how one can tell which is the front and back of a mag. I am sure he is not the first, nor last person to do that.

3 Likes

Putting the Ruger 10/22 back together was hell for me. The most difficult part for me was the trigger part. Very particular and lots of patience.

4 Likes

My gunsmith charged me only $20 to put together the trigger switch and reassemble my 10/22 which to me was very reasonable to me. He told me NEVER take apart the rifle again, Just open the slide, clean and lightly oil the chamber, clean and lightly oil the slide, and clean the barrel as normal. Should be good for thousands of rounds. Some people told me that they never cleaned their 10/22 and never had a problem. Not cleaning a firearm is against my religion.

5 Likes

I mean, H&K employed people who didnā€™t know how to do it. Hence the meme.

1 Like

My little Sig looks like a baby M1911. It throws me off every time I tear it down.

2 Likes

Iā€™m reading this on my phone, and thought you said Mk19. I was thinking, heck yeah, those things are a real pain to clean. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Lot of recoil ā€¦

3 Likes

I seeā€¦I shall look into that.

Can you get a holster for that or a strap for shoulder carry? :sunglasses: I believe it is likely the ultimate self-defense gunā€¦ :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Itā€™s only about 75 pounds empty if I remember right :rofl: I used to take them on and off HMMWVs by myself. The ones we had were converted to shoot LASERs and pneumatics actuated the mechanism. My shoulders would be killing me after a day of ā€œshootingā€ but it was worth it to get meaningful training developed for the US Army and Marines.

4 Likes

The 1911 is not difficult to field strip, but it took a lot of practice to be able to put it together without having the spring plug go flying!

i find the Mauser 98 difficult to take apart, because of the retaining screws. It takes a lot of patience to remove the screws without scratching something.

2 Likes

Very close to what I read was the weight. No shoulder stock, so it must be a handgunā€¦ :sunglasses: And as it is belt-fed, it gets past any mag limitā€¦ :sunglasses: I believe the shells weigh more than most handguns, and are about the same size. So, I guess it is better suited to home defenseā€¦ :sunglasses:

2 Likes

TAKE DOWN NO PROBLEM, PUT TOGETHER NOT SO MUCH. LOOKS
LIKE YOU CAN WATCH A VIDEO ON HOW TO GET THIS PART IN. THE
NEW RUGERS ARE Completely different.

2 Likes

The old ruger standard 22lr is a pain to reassemble if you donā€™t know about or misalign the trigger catch. The first time I took mine apart I went to the range to shoot it and couldnā€™t pull the slide back to cock it. Oopsā€¦

2 Likes

Always function test after re-assembly, especially your EDC.

2 Likes

Ruger Mark 111

2 Likes

Now we may have a new candidateā€¦ :wink:
S&W CSX. The field strip is similar to 1911ā€¦ but a lot of people reported to have a hard time to push the take down lever out.

1 Like

Not from experience but from what Iā€™ve heard, ruger mark series pistols prior to the mark 4.

I think ofnall the pistols I had, the 1911 was the biggest PITA to field strip.

1 Like