What do you do to help others on their self-defense journey?

With new shooters I start them out with a .22 at 10 feet to let then get used to actually firing a gun, even though its low recoil, at a target. It also allows me to teach grip and stance. I then move them to a SIRT pistol to practice trigger pull, sight alignment/sight picture, while reinforcing grip and stance. The next phase would be to move them into firing a semi auto and revolver at a range that has a variety of hand guns for them to try. In all of that I talk about how they plan to carry, and the laws governing concealed carry. At that point I offer them a discounted rate to enroll in my USCCA Home Defense & Concealed Carry course which qualifies them to apply for a SC CWP.

2 Likes

I have my own range and I still teach people (select though) how to properly use firearms with me suppling the guns and ammo at no charge. Others are allowed to use the range (free) but supply their own, while still getting instruction. Just recently a woman that vowed NEVER to handle or own a firearm decided that was a bad decision. She needed to understand the different firearms, each with their pros/cons. She was great student, listened and quickly became a very good shot. Lesson lasted 2 days with her shooting semi auto and revolver in .22 LR, .380 ACP, 9mm Luger and 38 Special. Added .410 shotgun also; she was surprised at how much a shotgun DID need to be aimed. She was able to figure what type of firearm and caliber suited HER. Yes, this was a free lesson. Women are better students, they listen. UPDATE: Jan 29, 2020; let me know that she was actually able to get the gun that she wanted. I am always amazed of the people that would never own a gun decide that it is in their best interest to change their mind and become a gun owner.

2 Likes

Run faster than their buddy lol, Sounds like they might have a bear chasing them LOL Yes I agree with your statement. Although I’m not certified in Civilian life. Have helped run a few Mil ranges. I put that knowlege to use every time before ,during and after range. We have alot of fun doing after action talks . Wish even more folks could know the enjoyment of shooting

1 Like