What do I need?

It is the same! I went with the PSA 10.5" upper kit. It came with a very generic blade that i can already tell will be miserable to shoot with.

When I bought it, it was on sale. Niw it’s out of stock and not on sale lol

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-carbine-length-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-9-lightweight-m-lok-moe-ept-shockwave-pistol-kit.html

2 Likes

I am happy you put your pistol together!

3 Likes

I thought this would be bigger…

1 Like

So…that wrench doesn’t fit. It held enough for slightly less than 1/4 of a turn. Won’t budge the castle nut anymore. Can anyone recommend me a wrench?

1 Like

@spence, my AR parts/build kit is supposed to be here today so have not had the opportunity to try out this “AR tool kit” I bought yet:

… but it looks like it is going to work fine.

They also sell the tools individually …

2 Likes

Or you could use the Eric Hung hammer and punch approach discussed here:

1 Like

I’ve had a DPMS tool/wrench for so long I don’t even remember how I got it. It has a hardened steel "button that fits into the slots of “most” castle nuts. I don’t recommend ANY flat stamped sheet steel wrench because they do not harden it properly or at all. Once that nub or hook gets a little wear on it the whole thing is worthless.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Got to try out the Outdoorsportsusa.com AR-15 tool kit today- it worked good :+1:

The AR parts kit worked good as well - but not overly impressed with the trigger, at least not in initial dry fire testing :frowning_with_open_mouth:

Almost complete assembly:

4 Likes

Check Palmetto State Armory. For the price, their stuff is incredible.

2 Likes

@Gary_H what Parts kit did you end up using? (Curious about the trigger)

1 Like

Hi @Harvey, I used this one:

I think the provided trigger is a “Mil-Spec”. It actually has a clean break, it is just a lot harder pull than I am used to. I honestly didn’t pay any attention to the sear and hammer mating surfaces, was more focused on learning how to assemble it as I had never seen one apart before.

2 Likes

If you ever want to upgrade the trigger, try Velocity. You can catch them on sale. Interesting backstory on the owner…used to work for Timney.

2 Likes

Mil-spec can mean a lot of things :smiley:

If you’re interested in swapping it out cost-effectively, PSA has great triggers for a low cost. They’ve got three models well under $100 (altho seem out of stock right now).

2 Likes

Isn’t that the truth!

In a quick check I have not found one Military Specification referenced for any commercially available “MilSpec” AR trigger. Stepping out on the wrong side of a limb with a chainsaw running, I suppose they are at least IAW vague as the weekend weatherman MIL-W-13855 and MIL-C-71186.

Maybe someone else knows?

Edit: One thing for sure is they are not IAW this :grinning::

1 Like

So, not calibrated and only 1/2 pound resolution, I pulled out my 50 pound spring fishing scale. I measured the pull to break weight from 8-9 pounds. I checked my 1911 for reference and it was 5 pounds every time.

I removed and inspected the sear and hammer mating surfaces. The hammer actually looked pretty good, but the sear had some tooling marks/scratches visible to the naked eye. Knowing I had about $12 at risk if I messed it up, I decided to polish it. I used 2000 grit wet sandpaper laying flat on the kitchen counter. I was very careful not to change the geometry and maintain a sharp break edge. After reassembly and testing it has reduced to 6-7 pounds.

Before and after testing was done with no lubrication on any of the trigger parts. I was extremely surprised to get a reduction of ~2 pounds without modifying the trigger spring ( I wish I had thought to do a pull test on it prior to reinstalling the hammer). It is amazing how much better I like it now!

2 Likes