What do I need?

Ok so I haven’t had time to put those parts in yet, but I’ve been looking at other things I need. Any recommendations for the upper? (Complete uppers seem to cost almost as much as a finished firearm!)

I think i want to go with the SBA3 brace. What else do I need?

1 Like

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-10-5-carbine-length-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-9-m-lok-moe-ept-sba3-pistol-kit.html

Are these any good? Aside from the BCG and charging handle would this finish the firearm or is there some other things I need?

1 Like

My bad i linked the wrong one. That one has the BCG and Charging Handle. The one I was looking at buying is the same but without the BCG and CH

1 Like

@Spence I finally got my AR pistol out to zero the EO Tech that I had moved. I stepped off 37 paces and got it dialed in to dead center. Then I went back to 200 yards. This is the end result of a 7.5" tube and a Krinkov can with military green tip ammo. Not my prettiest but the dot on the EO Tech is 4 MOA which is ~8.5" @200 on a 12" x 16" plate and the wind was blowing to beat the band.

As an example, this is what you can do with a parts gun.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Some people bag on the PSA stuff. But I’ve got 2 one carbine one mid length. Both ring 18 in steel plates at 500 with tula ammo ( cheap russian stuff) a few guys from you tube have done torture tests on them. If you’re ever in so deep that it fails you were in over head long before that gun failed.

3 Likes

Aero is having a 15% off blemished products sale today - just put it in your cart and an additional 15% will be taken off:

1 Like

I ordered a similar kit to what I linked from PSA. It went on sale and I had to nab it. I do suspect that I will have to change the brace out later though.

1 Like

@Spence, What you need is for someone to beat you with a broom until you forget what you wanted to do.
Once you start spending money on upgrading or buying more firearms, there is no turning back.
You get GAS.
Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
If you don’t want to be known as that guy with a bad case of GAS, stop now.
You’ll be going to meetings with me. You know the ones where I get up from my chair in the circle, face the group and say, My name is Bob, and I have GAS.
Mr. Phelps, if you choose to take this mission…I guess you and I can bring the donuts.

1 Like

I like gear, and I have plenty of gas, a little more won’t hurt me!

In all seriousness, I want the experience of assembling and this particular firearm has a purpose. It’s going to be a part of my emergency preparedness kit. Once it is finished I’m going to be working on dedicated trauma kits for each member of my family so we don’t have to rely on one big one.

1 Like

I’ve had the itch to build one. I just haven’t scratched it yet. Maybe one day.

1 Like

Need sights yet but there is the almost finished product. Turns out I don’t have a castle nut wrench to finish locking down the buffer tube.

Also, that blade is going to go away. I already don’t like it.

3 Likes

Also, in typical male fashion I failed to listen to advice about taping off points where i would have to tap with a hammer. So I’ll be having to repair some tiny dings in the finish.

1 Like

I’m ready to build another…I may need ABA (AR Builders Anonymous)…

4 Likes

@Spence you may need to sign me and the hubby up for that :grimacing:

Get a hammer with plastic heads, or brass head.

1 Like

I plan on it. I was simply impatient and now I’m ready to build another lol.

Probably an AR10 this time.

1 Like

Sights is what I’ve changed more times than I can count. Good excuse to get to the range though. There are some nice braces out there, some manufacturers like their product and want to keep them. If you get my drift, they’re outrageously priced. A friend nearby may have a castle nut wrench you can borrow until you can get one.

1 Like

Why a friend that has “builderidas” helped me build mine. While I slowly acquired tools I need if I build another.

1 Like

The bite of the AR bug is a serious one :rofl:

Getting the right tools certainly makes life A LOT easier and are fortunately fairly inexpensive. That said AR-10’s and AR-15’s both require their own blocks but the wrenches or generally interchangeable. For those that do not have a bench vice they are now making jigs that you can bolt down alleviating that need.

As far as build ease goes I am totally converted to the Aero Precision M4E1 lower as the two pins that generally cause the most damage and frustration have been eliminated. They cost $20 more and save a least that much frustration on assembly.

If I ever get around to building a “serious” SPR platform I may try a drop in trigger. Personally I’m hoping for an AR-47 kit for Christmas as I can hunt with it here. Well at least for the moment, depending on what our good Governor decides he is willing to shove down our throats come January :woozy_face:

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Awesome! Is that the Anderson Lower with the BCM LPK in it? What upper did you end up getting?

1 Like