What are you going to learn this school year?

Back to school means kids are back to learning, but why should it only mean kids are back to learning?

What do you want to learn this year? How to build an AR? How to clean your firearm more efficiently? Moving and shooting? Gunsmithing?

What’s your learning goal for the new school year?

4 Likes

I have a couple goals this school year. And this is an interesting topic for me cause my oldest (4 YO, 5 end of November) is actually starting young 5’s this school year. Moving from Pre-K to to the big school. Problem is, he is being robbed of so much as our school district is 100% virtual till 10/5. So, Monday I will be doing his first day of remote school and I will be there for him. Not a big fan of this start, but it was supposed to be 100% in class till about a week ago when the teachers union threw a fit.

Anyway, what do I want to learn.

#1, keep more reloads on hand. With the two young boys who are very much daddy’s boys (which I love) I am guilty of not keeping up on the pistol ammo reloading like I should. With everything going on, its easier to just grab a couple boxes at the store. I have enough reloading supplies, just need to prioritize the time so I always have enough stock on hand. For me, range trips are not an event, I have a range bag always ready to go so in the morning if I think I might be able to get 30 minutes to an hour at lunch, I just have to throw the gun and appropriate ammo in the bag. With the shortages, I need to stay stocked so I can keep my practice up (it also doubles as my therapy, I love shooting).

#2)Work on my smoothness in actions. Smooth transitions, smooth reloads, etc.

#3) Introduce someone new to shooting. Its been a while since I have taken a new shooter to the range, so I need to find a willing victim.

6 Likes

I definitely would want to learn how to build an AR15. Also become more proficient in shooting.

5 Likes

Moving and shooting - that is my goal for this year. But I’d extend this to Moving and ACCURATELY Shooting.
I’ve convinced myself to use outdoor range to practice this. Also I’m taking USCCA’s “Defensive Pistol” classes where moving & shooting is part of it.

5 Likes

How to build a steam horseless wagon. How to repair a safety on a 1910 - 300 Savage. How to build a Mission style dinner table with mortise and tenon. Improve upon reloading. Cooking the best meal of your life.

5 Likes

I can help with that! It would be a nice diversion from work and wrenching on my hot rod which has sadly taken up the entirety of my existence. Oh that and CUTTING GRASS between downpours.

Cheers,

Craig6

4 Likes

Learn some gunsmithing:I actually sent off to SDI for some information.

Learn the art of Shou Sugi Ban.

Start reloading. This is where the Shou Sugi Ban comes in. I’m going to build a cool looking reloading table.

4 Likes

What I really wish to learn is how we got to today and how to teach my grandkids to never relive it!

5 Likes

Hey brother I’m going to purchase an AR15 in a couple of months and then the next one after that I will build. I thank you for your offer brother @Craig6 and will take you up on it . We are close to each other I am in Chesapeake. I will PM you and give you my contact info.

3 Likes

Just got a reloader. So my special project this semester is learning how to use it and building myself a small stash of reloads so I can keep practicing without worrying about running out.

5 Likes

If you need help, I’ll sacrifice myself to be a taste tester :smiley:

6 Likes

Are you going to offer FREE shipping? :wink:

2 Likes

Taking a coding course in Python and I think Azure, plus get certified in them.
Learning to wrench on the Harley I purchased this spring to fix a few things.
Finally get around to gunsmith fix the 1100 20ga I got as a project.

I don’t have kids around, so this is my “back to school”.

4 Likes

I’ve made alot of contacts lately, so I want to get my instructor certs in so I can start a charity that teaches 2nd amendment and CC and why it’s important to us as citizens.

Also my sister got in contact with me on 7/1/2020, after 52 years so getting to know her once Covid clears up is high on my list

4 Likes

I am not sure about school year but I want to achieve any or all of the following in 2021
USCCA goals

• become a defensive shooting instructor
    -become a USCCA counselor
    -teach 100+ people the conceal carry

other goals

• get back in shape (used to be a lifter but just recovered from a broken back and gained 60 lbs the last year)
  • complete the “Starting Strength” program and pursue becoming a “Starting Strength” coach
  • get back into my martial arts of both Aikido and BJJ maybe rank up
  • I also would like to look into getting a dog training certification as my dogs are usually the best trained dogs around when we are at dog parks ect

Work

• once back in shape, I will be applying to Homeland Security or a similar federal agency. Thought about local PD too but IDK with everything rn.
4 Likes

Todd,
there is some property close to us for sale, move closer, come shoot on our range, have dinner with us and you and the mrs can share tasty recipes!!! AND we have cold bottles in the fridge!

4 Likes

Steven, you will get to your goals as you are driven!!! You are a fine young man, and we are proud of you!

3 Likes

Shoot me the address, see what I did there?

3 Likes