What advice would you give a new gun owner?

Got a half a dozen 1911s in the safe… and except for the race guns that’s mostly where they stay. :woman_shrugging: The hubby recently traded a spare 1911 frame for a glock 40.
What’s getting holster time in our house is your “cheap hammers”. Dis the glocks all you like, but given my hubby’s level of expertise and experience, as well as mine, I’m 100% fine with what we’re carrying.
:star_struck: Glocks Rock. :100:

I’m not dissing them, I carried glocks almost exclusively for 20 plus years until the XDM’s came out.

They are what they are and a glock will never fail you.

2 Likes

I would talk with the owner and get educated on the gun myself. I would ask the new owner if a trigger lock was purchased for the gun. I would ask the owner to get it registered with the local police department of the residential jurisdiction.

1 Like

Please do not open carry…you walk in a store get you a pop go to the counter to pay a bad guy walks in behind you to rob the store he sees your sidearm (open carry) you get the first bullit then he takes your sidearm and robs the store maybe shooting some unexpecting bystander or clerk with the weapon he took from you and don’t brag to folks you meet out there that you carry … you never know who’s listening or watching you put yourself in bad situations… remember you carry to protect yourself and others who can’t including those who don’t believe in guns or carry…

1 Like

I hear this theory a lot, I’ve yet to see it play out in reality.

For all the dire warnings there’s just no statistical evidence to support the contention that people who open carry are being targeted in such a manner.

2 Likes

Think about it if you are the bad guy…I would just like the chance of moving from in front of him (since he probably won’t rob the clerk through me ) and give me the opportunity to do something if I have the chance…

1 Like

I’m not following you here.

Statistically we know bad guys avoid getting into situations where they are likely to end up the victim instead of the victor and that over 70% of them have been deterred simply by knowing that someone is armed thus that is a strong deterrent.

As to your second, if the bad guy doesn’t know you are armed you become a very handy hostage for them to use, demanding all the money or whatever else they are after with a gun to your head or knife to your throat.

Can you clarify?

2 Likes

Your comment is a good one it could go both ways … the new criminals are normally drug heads so you never know. but being ex military I like the element of surprise I also have started caring a SOG boot knife for a back up you never know…

1 Like

Know all the safety laws, if you are purchasing a gun for shooting as a hobby, let that be well known to the place of purchase, especially when paying the last payment and taking it off layaway.

1 Like

Advice I would give to a new gun owner on this forum is relax don’t feel overwhelmed. Many users here have owned and carried for years, so they have had plenty of time to learn, get comfortable, and spend money.

You can (and should) learn from our mistakes, but don’t feel compelled to mimic everything we say or do. You’re now armed, and that’s better than being unarmed. Learn and practice the basic safety rules so you first do no harm. The rest will come over time. And if you don’t carry exactly like someone else here, that’s ok.

2 Likes

Some of the best advice I have heard.

forget the flashlight laser toy to hang on pistol for awhile. Spend your money on ammo & some training. learn the gun, work the basics till they are ingrained in muscle memory.
remember under stress people revert back to their lowest level of training.
And don’t buy that whiz bang holster you read somebody loved on facebook ask someone who has carried for a long time to look at the very likely full drawer of holsters they have till they found what worked for them. But no matter what holster buy a gun belt you normal belt will fail quickly.

1 Like

My daughter has decided to CC. I told her the first thing to learn is to handle her weapon safely and how to operate it before firing it at all. Use the owner’s manual and learn your weapon. How to disassemble for cleaning and reassemble. No ammo in the room. After being comfortable with that…then comes the rest.

2 Likes