What about the Post Office?

Absolutely agree, absolutely.

1 Like

It will never happen with the Dems in control of the House.

3 Likes

I park across the street and keep my firearm in my car. But Just thinking is carrying a extra loaded Mag the same? if removing your weapon from your person and having forgot a loaded mag in your pocket the same ? i know We think its nothing but some snowflakes would go hyper.

2 Likes

@John76 I’m not aware of the magazine with rounds being an issue, but maybe @Kelly or @MikeBKY can comment and we’ll get more specific information.
Welcome to the community!

The federal statute for the Post Office prohibits any firearms or explosives. Firearms are pretty straight forward but the is nothing that specifically mentions ammunition. However, gunpowder is an explosive under federal law so, technically, if you are carrying ammunition, you are in possession of explosives. I doubt it would ever be an issue but, you never really know when the person you bump into has his panties in a wad.

2 Likes

If you don’t want a felony, in Indiana you better stay off of Post Office ground.

1 Like

I never go to the post office. I buy online and have them pick it up or I drop it off at a mailbox store. The one by me gives drop off receipts, so no reason to go to the post office these days. You can also buy stamps almost anywhere. If you can’t buy online, the mailbox stores maybe slightly more expensive than the post office, but I don’t mind at all.

2 Likes

@Dawn we probably need to run this past the lawyers and consider some updates.

There’s some recent case law stating that in the public parking lot of federal facilities in unsecured general access areas your castle rights still apply to your vehicle.

Absolutely though do not step out of your vehicle while carrying concealed or otherwise because it a serious federal offense they are not at all hesitant to enforce and prosecute.

About the only way we’re likely to see the Post Office Carry Act passed is if republicans take over the house, gain some senate seats, and Trump is reelected in a landslide. Otherwise my bet is that it is dead for at least a decade unfortunately.

Right now the left has done such a bangup job of demonizing the NRA to hell and back the USCCA and other org’s besides the NRA would probably be best in launching a separate effort rather than joining with the NRA.

I sad this with a lot of sadness as a lifetime NRA member but it’s the truth.

The flip side of that though is that the reason the NRA catches so much flak by the left is the fact they have been so successful in protecting our rights since they started adamantly doing so nation wide since the 70’s when Handgun Incoroprated and other groups made the first serious pushes to ban handguns outright.

That group later was absorbed by the “Brady Campaign” if that tells you anything about how far out in left field both groups are/were.

The NRA also has some serious internal issues that they are going to have to bust butt to work through before the General Election Season gets under way next year.

3 Likes

Per ATF:

1 Like

oooo
 awesome details @Kelly :smiley: nice!

1 Like

Here is the current law for carrying or storing firearms (and other deadly or dangerous weapons). The issue with the post office has been addressed by the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit which decided that the Postal service’s ban of firearms on post office property, including the parking lot, is constitutional. The ruling was subsequently denied certiorari by the Supreme Court of the United States on March 21, 2016.

“We do not second-guess the wisdom of the USPS’s determination that its business operations will be best served by a simple rule banning all private firearms from postal property; our role is limited to inquiring whether that rule violates the Constitution, and we conclude that it does not.”

The prohibition is in 39 C.F.R. 232.1(l)
Weapons and explosives. Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

A link to the opinion by the Tenth Circuit follows. Bonidy v. US Postal Service, 790 F.3d 1121

3 Likes

@MikeBKY given that, and @Kelly’ s post on ammunition not being regulated under the explosives laws, if someone were to carry a magazine or an individual live round into the Post Office, do you think that is a violation?

My concern is how do you address this issue when the Post Office is sharing a parking lot with a grocery store, Dollar Tree, Verizon, etc
When I go to the grocery store and other places listed, I am carrying, but I park in front of the store. The main question is: “who own the parking lot in these situations?”

2 Likes

I have not looked at the cite (yet) but I would think not. Having a magazine would not be considered explosives.

2 Likes

That is a great question and in such a case, since the lot is not exclusively for the use of the post office, it should not be subject to the postal service prohibition. The same is true when a post office uses a space within another business. There are post offices in a paint store and a hardware store within a few miles of me. It would be hard for a postal inspector to argue that you were on post office property when you’re shopping for ceiling paint or a new toilet.

3 Likes

I looked at the ATF’s website regarding small arms ammunition and I cannot give an exact answer to whether having a cartridge in your pocket or a magazine with you would constitute an explosive under USPS prohibition. The exemption is very specific to 18 USC 845 and 27 CFR 555.1 et seq. It does not clearly exempt small arms ammunition from the definition of explosives.
Than being said, the exemptions in 27 CFR 555 would act as a great defense to a charge levied if someone carries ammunition in to a post office. And frankly, I’m not a fan of having to mount a defense if at all possible because I will assume it starts with handcuffs.
Considering you cannot send ammunition anywhere via the USPS, they have some ground to say you cannot even carry it onto postal property.

1 Like

Considering that the Federal Government is going to make it so difficult in this regard, and given that every post office that we have in our city sits on highways that are three lanes in each direction, with a turn lane, I have made the decision to not even go back to the Post Office anymore. For instance, one of the post offices sits on a six lane (w/turn lane - so seven lane) street/highway (no parking along the street), with a large cemetery across from it and undeveloped, wooded land on each side. So, there is no alternative place to park within the vicinity of the post office.

I am the rabbi of a Messianic Jewish Synagogue, so this does not only affect me personally, but also our synagogue. Instead, I have signed myself and the synagogue up for postal services online. We have a drop box close to us that I can drop small packages into. We already have a commercial scale to weigh with, I can order stamps, print a shipping label for a package and I can have them come pick it up, if it’s too big to fit into the drop box. It’s just not worth the hassle to deal with their asinine laws, all based on one incident from a former, disgruntled employee.

Besides, I didn’t like standing in line, anyway

2 Likes