Western Nevada

I used to live in Carson City. It has grown!

3 Likes

Welcome from Wisconsin. USCCA is a very good website to help you with training.

1 Like

My shooting spot is in Dayton :sunglasses:

I used to live up the street in Stagecoach a couple blocks from the fire station.

3 Likes

Yes…
It has.
We’ve been here for almost 31 years now.

2 Likes

Hey @Karacal and @SteveBMe , didn’t the oldest bar in Nevada (and that is saying something) used to be in Genoa, and I think still is?

2 Likes
2 Likes

Thanks for posting that, brings back some memories. and I know it is Ne-VA’-duh not Ne-VAH-duh.

3 Likes

Nevvedah :grinning:

2 Likes

Yep. Genoa Bar.

2 Likes

I visited Genoa two years ago but didn’t get inside the bar, it was packed that fine autumn day and I decided to come back some other time.
A week later, there was snow.

4 Likes

We’ve lived here since January 1993. Driven through Genoa dozens of times over the years.
Never once have we gone into the bar.

Just never had the desire. :person_shrugging:t4:
Ironically, I’ve been into the new Jack’s Bar across the street from the legislature bldg.

3 Likes

About 2 decades ago or so when I lived and worked around Lake Tahoe there used to be a little hole in the wall place a ways South of Genoa that claimed to have the worlds best burgers. It was a small little restaurant next to a campground in Markleeville if I remember right. Those claims seldom live up to the hype but they did actually make some really good burgers and milkshakes too.

4 Likes

I am surprised no one mentioned the Candy Dance. It was down the street from the bar. I use to live in Tahoe and Gardnerville. I would ride my bike to Markleeville once in a while. The guy I would ride with owned the bar on 88 where one turns left to go to Markleeville. There was a small restaurant where we would stop for lunch that had a covered outside eating area. I am not sure if this was the restaurant that had the best burgers.

3 Likes

Hello!
What are your CCWs if I may ask. What made you decide to take the step to be CCW carriers?

1 Like

My wife and I visited Candy Dance once back in the 90’s, when her mom was still alive.
It was crowded, noisy, and generally frustrating, having to walk a really long distance from parking (we came in on Genoa Lane, off the 395), so it wasn’t really all that enjoyable for us.
It still happens every year. It’s become bigger than ever.

3 Likes

Hi.
I’m not clear on “what” our ccw’s is supposed to mean.
They’re ccw’s. Are there different types of ccw’s?

As to why we got them so late in our lives… I’d say it had to do with the riots around the country.
We had local chapters of BLM, and while I don’t recall them getting violent, they were a vitriolic group.
I tried talking to them on Facebook and wound up putting up with 17 hours of verbal abuse from them.
I wanted to understand why they were so malicious towards people.

The national level of both Antifa and blm said they were coming out to the countryside and perpetrating their violence in rural communities.
So it seemed like a good idea to get prepared.
Over the weekend, yesterday afternoon, I’d read about a Palestinian rally in Reno. After reading about the violence in other major cities, I’d say my timing is good.

2 Likes

There are CCW’s and there are CCW permits in Nv. Not every state call them CCW permits. CCW is just a concealed carry weapon which sometimes is meant to mean permit where CCW is the TLA for the permit.:fishing_pole_and_fish:

Ah! Ok…
Mine is called a permit, and has a permit #.

2 Likes

Sorry, I was specifically asking what you and your wife’s EDCs were.

2 Likes

People are pretty awful on-line.

There isn’t much evidence of Antifa or BLM coming to the suburbs or rural areas, though those rumors are pretty thick in our community despite the lack of evidence for such claims. I’m no fan of either organization but there just doesn’t seem to be much evidence that have any plans to move into rural areas. Antifa seems to be drawn to protesting police departments or counter protesting Far Right/Pro-fascist Richard Spencer types. BLM seems attracted to areas where there are concerns (rightly or wrongly) of police brutality against African-Americans. Both of these groups, especially Anti-fa I think can resort to violence, but in the case of the former it seems pretty directed at Police and government buildings associated with law enforcement. And BLM protestors do seem more associated with urban disturbance/rioting. Again, There doesn’t seem to be any targets for either group to pursue in rural areas. Here is a 2023 piece ( I think) from the Antidefamation League about those rumors. I wish it had more citations. But the original tweet doesn’t appear to have been from Antifa, but rather a White-Supremacist group posing as Antifa.
Of course both groups have plenty of other things for which we can criticize them. They don’t seem to be much of a threat to work-a-day folks.

While I don’t think such groups really pose much of a threat to average citizens, I do think it is always a good time to take one’s self defense, and defense of others seriously. So I think your timing for a such a decision would always be good!
Oops, forgot to add the ADL link. https://www.adl.org/disinformation-antifa-planning-violent-attacks-white-suburbs