Were you the unexpected student?

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/unexpected-ccw-student/

I may have been the unexpected student when I started tae kwon do or even took the Citizens Academy in my home town when my kids were little. Those experiences started me on a journey of self-defense and family-defense that I don’t think anyone would have thought I’d go on when I was a teenager. In fact, I remember wondering why a pacifist friend of mine was taking TKD in college.

Have you ever been the unexpected student? Have you had an instructor light an unexpected spark in you?

I am definitely that “unexpected person”. I have a very conservative and reserved personality. Almost everyone that knows me and finds out that I actually shoot guns laughs and says, “I can’t believe it!” It brings a smile to my face because I’ve surprised myself. On a recent trip to Tennessee, a couple of those surprised coworkers took me out to one of their farms to let me shoot various rifles for the first time. They were laughing with disbelief when my first five shots with a 270 landed in the bullseye at 100 yards. I did just as well at 200 yards and even managed to hit a 1’ diameter gong at 400 yards. Not trying to brag, but I even shocked them hitting metal targets with pistols. It was fun to watch their reaction!