Well, new setup

Well, my new adventure has gone even further down the rabbit hole. This, and yes I’m doomed now, is the beginning of a beautiful OBSESSION.

5 Likes

Is the obsession making bullets, making videos, or making videos about making bullets???
:thinking:

3 Likes

Reloading is a good thing and people don’t realize how much money you can save in the long run. I never took the time to learn the craft but maybe I will.

2 Likes

@Brian_J Please… pour out the rest of the NOS and step away from the press. Just step away…

4 Likes

Making bullets… lol

It’s a great way to take up spare time… and not so spare time… and… and… and… OK, take up almost all your waking hours, because you just get in the groove.

3 Likes

YouTube can help quite a bit.

2 Likes

Lol, nope… NOS is my bestest friend, it will listen to me, be there to comfort me and love me unconditionally… lol

3 Likes

On a per round basis, reloading is cheaper; However, and this is a big however, good quality reloading equipment is expensive. Although entry level kits such as Lee and Hornady are reasonably priced, equipment costs in the long run for reloading can be quite high. The other big factor is that since the per round cost is lower you have a tendency to shoot more. This is a good thing because, not only do I reload to shoot, I shoot to reload.

I started reloading when I retired about fifteen years ago. I originally bought an entry level Lee kit and have replaced every piece of it with higher end equipment over the years, with the exception of the Lee Factory Crimp dies. As yet, I haven’t found any better than them. I haven’t calculated how much money I’ve spent over the years on presses, dies, and accessories but it is a considerable amount.

I’m currently using a Redding T7 Turret press and am thinking about spending more of my kid’s inheritance and getting myself a Dillon progressive system.

3 Likes

I started reloading ammo around 7 years ago. And I have a RCBS single stage press. I have also have a RCBS Primer press as well. Love them both. I also have a LEE electronic powder measure to measure and weigh the powder charge. And I DON’T EVER reload FULL OR OVER powder charges. I always do HALF charges. And it is because I don’t like the recoil of the full charge. Plus I feel that I can control the firearm better and be more accurate. And my guns seem to like it as well.

4 Likes

I know a couple of guys who have used and still use Lee to this day for presses and with it being budget priced that is a great thing.

I’ll never be able to afford a higher tier press, but hey, as long as it keeps chooching along, I’ll be happy.

1 Like

You’re doing it wrong. How are you supposed to get a .224 soft point moving over 4200 fps, when you don’t over charge. Lol
ALL JOKING ASIDE: be very cautious of over pressure signs on spent casings. And electronic scales are great but spot check your charges with a balance scale from time to time.
I find reloading relaxing and satisfying. Besides after the cost of equipment, and if you don’t count your time spent, you can save more than 50% a box. If you are using retained brass. Check and double check all stages of reloading. Consult your books, yes books, more than one on charges.

BTW, it (the .224) comes apart and won’t punch standard cardboard at 100 yards. Pretty cool vapor trail though.

2 Likes

I do check all of my shell cases before I try to reload them. And bad ones go in a milk jug. And when it is full I take it to my gun club to donate. and they recycle used brass and steel shell cases. and when I’m at the range shooting I also check my brass and if bad I leave it there in their spent brass buckets and don’t bring it home to reload.

1 Like

That’s the nice thing about reloading 9mm, you really can’t over load them, no room to try it… lol
I’m using 6.4gr of unique now and that’s about all it can handle.

I use a beam scale once about every 20 rounds or so to make sure the digis are correct now and spot check about every 10 or so with the digital.

1 Like