Welcome to the Community! Please Introduce Yourself

Gotta love your persistence in sticking with the permit process. CA makes it hard to apply to try and discourage responsible people from obtaining permits. Congrats to you.

2 Likes

Thank you Roger.

3 Likes

Was given a Winchester model 67 when I was nine. Served me well in the bush, shooting crickets and frogs, til I joined the Marines in 1957. That little Winchester taught me well, I fired expert with the M1 Garand in boot camp. Didn’t like the Corps, went to the Navy recruiter enlisted in the flight training program. Got my wings just in time to do 2 tours as a fighter pilot in Nam. 175 missions, 330 carrier landings.
Left the Navy, couldn’t seem to hold a steady job, but that didn’t keep me from skeet shooting, and small town old fashion competitive target shooting. You know, “All ready on the right, all ready on left” stuff. Got bit by the reloading bug, Determined to make the “Golden” bullet that shoots a 1/2 inch group at 25 yards off hand. Still working on it.
In the last 65 years I’ve probably had a pistol from every company and every caliber imaginable. Still reloading currently perfecting 45 and 10MM, and I’m getting close.
Probably my favorite shooter is an old rickety, beat up Ruger Mark III target. Shot it a lot and it has never failed me.
Because of the current times and circumstances I finally gave up on a National Constitutional Carry law and got my CC. Of the 22 pistols in my current stable I have selected a Springfield XD 45 mod 4 to protect me from the radical, liberal mob. Too old to fight, too disabled to run.
Put about a thousand rounds through that XD, and it has never jammed and is good for consistent 2 inch groups at 25 yards off hand,
Muff said

6 Likes

Welcome John21

2 Likes

Cricket is a pretty small target… “aim small, miss small”… very cool that it paid you back so well.

My hubby was Special Forces in Vietnam and his late father was a WWII Canadian fighter pilot. Thank you for serving, and serving hard duty for so long. Glad you’re still here to tell the tale. You’ll find you’re in the company of many veterans and others who come from other kinds of service as well. Welcome to the community!

3 Likes

Hello all, Steve from south Texas. USCCA elite member since 1/18 along with wife. I’m a CC license holder since 1985. She since 2017. Looking forward to conversations with a like minded community of well informed shooting enthusiasts.

5 Likes

Welcome, @Stephen1! Glad to have you here! Do you and your wife train together?

3 Likes

Hi Dawn. Sure do. We go together to the indoor range in our hometown every other week and we also shoot rifles and pistols at the range and skeet and trap all at our family ranch whenever we are up there. Together we have 3 grown children all married, each with toddler age children. All of our kids and each their spouses are concealed carriers as well.

We all train independently but also with a professional group named APT Academy, who I whole-heartedly endorse. Thanks for asking.

3 Likes

Welcome neighbor! Come on in, the water’s fine.

2 Likes

Thx WildRose!

1 Like

Nice work! Way to raise 'em up right!

4 Likes

I have deep ties in S. Texas, where are you? Feel free to PM if you like.

1 Like

Live in Rockport, Commute daily to work in Corpus Christi. Where are you?

1 Like

Thx Zee, can’t wait to help with the grand-kiddos as well!

2 Likes

I’m about halfway between Dallas and Lubbock. I have a very good friend who is in the process of moving to the Galveston area, another over near Beeville, and another In Brownsville I love like a brother. He’s got a herd of kids and I try to spend as much time taking them hunting every year I can.

We never had kids so I pick up strays. HA!

2 Likes

Retired from the USMC after 22 years.

(Edit) Lifetime Member

Started CCW 6 years ago. Just seemed the thing to do and in VA the process is simple. I also have a UT Non resident CCW.

While I never had the MOS, I coached many Marines to their Expert Pistol badge with all qualifying except for the Worm Killer the line sent me to try and fix. Multiple award Pistol Expert myself.

My favorite guns are my Colt Pythons. After I hit 56, I put the 4" bbl Python away as my EDC and now carry a Sig P320c in 9mm. I really enjoy my revolvers.

My goal is to train at Winding Brook Indoor Shooting Range in Ashland, VA 3 or more times a month.

My oldest daughter will soon be part of the CCW community.

Best advice I have received? Do your best to never be in a situation where you have to use your gun to defend yourself.

Edit: Added pic of my CCW.

Douglas “Gunny” Cochranp320_1

3 Likes

Thank you for your service, Douglas! There are a number of Marines here - and I’m always thrilled to welcome another!

Please invite your daughter to the USCCA Online Community! People with every experience level are welcome!

4 Likes

I am retired and we travel in an RV about8 months of the year. Have been concealed carrying close to 9 years. Favorite gun is a Sig 365 but a Glock 43 gets holster time also. Have had some extended training but will do more as it becomes available in my area.

4 Likes

^^ love that, I’m going to use it :smile:
Welcome to the community!

1 Like

With all that RV’ng you should be able to plan your training schedule around road trips, or plan the road trips to align with places and people you want to train with!

All about priorities. :+1:

3 Likes