Welcome to the Community! Please Introduce Yourself

Good morning, thank you for the invite. at work will try to reconnect later.

6 Likes

Hi everybody glad to be here! My wife and I live in northern Virginia and have been USCCA members since 2015. We have had training with two local instructors and I am looking forward to Fighting Pistol soon at Tactical Response. I’ve been carrying since about 2013, a few years after moving here permanently from Canada.

6 Likes

Hi @Aqua, nice to meet you! Jump on in, the water’s fine :grin:

Nice to meet you @Allen, glad you’re here! What part of Canada are you from? My husband was born in Canada and most of his family is still there.

2 Likes

Welcome, @Aqua and @Allen!

@Aqua - if it’s easier for you to check the Community out on your phone, I use Google Chrome and navigate to the Community through https://community.usconcealedcarry.com - the mobile web layout works well.

@Allen - I’m really curious, what made you decide to move to the US permanently?

2 Likes

Hello everyone! Brand new to the community here. Been a USCCA member for about two months or so. I’ve been a gun owner for about 18 years or so. Originally from suburbs of Chicago now living in Southwest Michigan. Only formal training I’ve had is a CCW class in Illinois and one here in Michigan. I use two different carry firearms. Normally I carry an HK VP 40. I love this gun. My other is a Glock 48. I got that because a town just into Indiana that we frequent has a capacity ordinance for magazines. Well it’s not the only reason I got it lol. I look forward to conversing with people and getting ideas for new ways to train or resources to learn from. Hope everyone has a safe Memorial Day!

4 Likes

Welcome @Kevin2! I’m a Missourian but I work mostly in Michigan. Do you ever get out Ann Arbor way? They’ve got a pretty nice indoor range there.

2 Likes

No I don’t normally get out that far. Sometimes we go up to Boyne for vacation but not usually too Far East.

2 Likes

Welcome @Kevin2. Why in the world would you want to leave Chicago?:thinking:

2 Likes

Should have done this the other day.

• Who are you?

Charles Rose, Seymour Texas.

• What got you interested in carrying and self-defense?

We ran a small town pharmacy that was burlarized quite a few times and had a few incidents at home. We had 2 cops in the entire county so we were our own first responders. I became “The shotgun man at the back door”, when I was 12.

• How long have you been training for your self-defense?
    Since 1974

• What formal training have you had?
    Police, Military, NRA, USCCA, ASP … . NRA Certified Instructor, RSO, CRSO, USCCA Certified Instructor, Licensed Texas LTC instructor.

I try to work in at least one more course for myself each year from a variety of organization as well as teaching.

• What’s the best advice you’ve ever gotten regarding your self-defense?
    There’s only one winner in a fight, be the winner.

• What’s your favorite gun?
    I own to many to have a favorite, the others always get jealous. Normally I carry an XDM or XD Fullsize, compact, or sub compact most days, occasionally a 425 TI in .41 mag.

• How often do you train?
    4 days a week minimum, 5-6 regularly.

• How have you gotten your friends and family involved?
    By starting them out shooting as soon as they can safely handle firearms usually starting around 5-7 years old. With adults and teens I am sort of a magnet for those interested and I simply take them out shooting. We go from there.

• What do you hope to learn from others in the USCCA Community?

I can learn something from anyone even if it’s what not to do. If you aren’t learning you aren’t living and you will never know it all. I’m a basic fundamentals guy and not a big believer in the latest, newest, coolest gun or techniques being promoted but when I come across something I consider to be of value, I add it to what I’m already doing or change what I was doing when something truly is “better”.

3 Likes

Welcome @Kevin2 and @WildRose! Glad to have you both here!!

4 Likes

:rofl: only reason to stay was food and I’m big enough lol

3 Likes

Hello,
Jake here in Mississippi. I guess what got me interested in conceal carry is a interesting topic. My family always carried. From a pistol on the fish route to a shotgun on the farm, all our family members carried a firearm. What drove it home for me was when I was about 21 or 22. We had a guy shooting at us from a island as we were in a boat. My Grandfather and a Korean War Veteran kept us safe. I saw right then and there that personal protection was up to us ( called for the police, but they never came). It would be some 10 years later before I started competing with rifle, pistol and shotgun. Now, some 10 years later than that I find myself a firearms instructor.
The best advice for self defense I guess is 1. no one wins in a gun fight, 2. have a gun.
As far as formal training, Ive been through NRA basic pistol, USCCA basic pistol, and several other courses, defensive shotgun, etc. Most of what Ive learned has been from other shooters in competition.
I train as often as I can ! Usually 1-3 times a week.
I just switched over to a Walther PPQ M2 in 9mm. It would be great to see what others are using for gear associated with that particular pistol !
Thanks for having me !

4 Likes

Welcome @Jacob2, glad to have you here! Your story is definitely an interesting one. Have you looked into the USCCA concealed carry instructors course? I did that this year (I’m certified to teach now) and it’s a really excellent program.
You are welcome to post a new thread on the Walther in the guns and gear category, that way people will see it. I’m sure someone on here will have ideas for you.

2 Likes

Yep, 2 years ago I became a USCCA instructor !

2 Likes

Welcome, @Jacob2! Glad to have you here. Love to here that you train so much.

The PPQ is a fun one to shoot!

3 Likes

Welcome @Jacob2. Glad to hear you take your own safety so seriously.

1 Like

Nice! How do you like teaching it?

1 Like

I think its a very good course. I wish we could curtail the legal, because in Mississipi we have to do a hour of legal and I have a awesome program put on my a lawyer. Everything else is what a conceal carry course needs to be. We can only teach NRA Basic pistol or the USCCA course to qualify for out enhanced endorsement on our CCW. I really think hands down the USCCA is the course to teach.

3 Likes

Hello neighbor. I’m from Wellington been down here since 2005. Isn’t south Florida GREAT!!! Gonna get pretty hot and coming into the hurricane season in another week. Hope all goes well for us.

2 Likes

Miami…yeah you really need to be carrying down there. Good luck, good training and STAY safe.
I agree 100% with your “I refuse for my loved ones or myself to be victims.”
Welcome to the community.

2 Likes