Weekly Target Feedback!

My Tuesday trip to the range. Used my MantisX with live fire for the first time.

3 Likes

Nice @MIchael1 ! :smiley:
what are you shooting, and what distances?

That was my 9mm Sig P320 M17 at 21 feet. The MantisX has different drills. The shots on the left shoulder of the target were strong hand only. That needs work. The target to the left of the head (our left) was support hand only. That was better than I thought it would be.

1 Like

that’s interesting… I’d say that’s not what I’d expect either. what do you think needs correcting there?

Actually, now that I looked at my Mantis history, I may have that backwards. The shots that went right were support hand. Or as @KevinM likes to say,“my other strong hand”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That makes more sense :slight_smile:
Are you right or left handed?

When I started training weak hand my coach (pronounced “husband”) had me do this (forgive me if this is stuff you already know, if you know it, then consider this post to be for someone who doesn’t :wink:):

• Gun in the left hand, left arm straight and locked.
  • Turn upper body and stance to be about 45 degrees to the right… more like a weaver position with the left arm extended at the target and center chest pointed to about 1:30 o’clock.
  • With the right hand, grab a fist full of the left sleeve right about the left biceps area
  • Keep the right elbow up.
  • Now pull the right handful of shirt strongly across the chest and towards the right elbow while pulling the left arm outward away from the sleeve. It should feel a lot like drawing back the string on an archery bow, but not so close to the chest.

What you’re doing is giving some isometric stability to the left arm without using the right hand to support or control the gun. The goal is to allow your left arm to train correctly and form good muscle habits. Once you’re shooting consistently with that isometric support, just go to shooting in your “normal” left hand position and stance

1 Like

I’m right handed and I hadn’t heard that technique before. Thanks for the tip. I’ll try it with some dry fire then try it at the range. :slight_smile:

1 Like

one more question on the target @Michael1 … your intended target for the left hand was head shots or center mass shots? it matters in determining if those are high-right or low-right. That difference tells you something about what’s going wrong.

The shots were pretty much straight right. I was aiming at the intersection of the vertical line and the second circle.

1 Like

straight right might be just your left wrist is not stable and solid yet, or it might be you’re pushing the trigger to the right near the end of the stroke, not drawing it straight back. you might try getting a little more finger on the trigger (closer to the joint than the tip) and see if that helps, and work on your trigger control in dry fire. Maybe an empty-brass or a nickle balanced on the muzzle when you practice your dry fire to see if you’re nudging right.

Maybe @BrophE or @Spence or @James has some suggestions.

1 Like

Thanks.!!!

Finally made it to the range this morning.

I worked on trigger control and front sight focus. I HAVE to get some HiViz on this baby.

IMG_20190829_104818
7 should be off hand and 8 should be strong hand. I was talking to a new friend while marking the target.
IMG_20190829_105013
This is strong hand quick fire at 20’.
Gonna keep working on it.

1 Like

First time shooting p365 I just bought.

3 Likes

Hi Dawn, What distance where you shooting from?

1 Like

@John150 that’ll do nicely :grin:

When I shoot a new handgun, usually around 10 yards. This way I can see if I need to adjust my grip in any way. First sub-compact I’ve owned that I liked how if fit in my hand.

1 Like

I believe that was at 10 feet. Love shooting at the range with my kids!

1 Like

The range I use, the distance is set up in yards. I shoot at 10 yards and 5 yards. Max distance there is 25 yards.

1 Like

Little different target today. This is from my 4H rifle instructor training. Gun was a CZ S200 air rifle, with aperture rear sight, and a globe front sight. These were at about 12-15 yards. 1st page is seated, using a sandbag rest. The 2nd is free standing.

5 Likes

@45IPAC Dude, that definitely does not suck!

2 Likes