Weekend Training: Defensively Accurate Shots

For self-defense, I agree. If someone starts shooting at 25 yards and claims self-defense, it’s going to be harder to justify imminent threat (unless being shot at first), and not choosing to retreat instead (individual state laws as applicable, of course).

Nevertheless, I like improving both my accuracy and distance, and routinely practice at 20-25 yards in addition to SD distances while on the range.

I learned the technique while attending the Police academy 50+ years ago.

I recently joined a local pistol shooting league which has already helped me understand both my current skill level and how I need to improve. Getting complacent is the real killer! Giving oneself a timed challenge on the range, combined with dry firing at home, is a great way to improve in my opinion.

1 Like

Practice trigger reset and started shooting IDPA

1 Like

@Kyle89 and @John449 Welcome to the community, we are glad to have you here. :us:

Dry fire has by far helped me increase my shooting ability over anything else then getting a bb or airsoft gun that is a replica of your real firearm and will fit your carry holster is excellent for practicing your first shot from concealment without the worry of bodily harm.

Plan your private range time in terms of exactly what it is you want to accomplish on the range that day, before getting out there. Limit the amount of ammo you expend per session, and use it in a meaningful way, don’t just be slinging bullets down range playing spray and pray. I usually limit my personal practice sessions to 50 rounds, and know precisely how I’m going to use it in a meaningful training session. I try do this at least twice a month. In practicing for defensive shooting, I always train with the equipment I actually carry on the street. Since we do not have open carry in Florida, I do the majority of my practice from concealed carry to keep my training/practice sessions as close to realistic conditions as possible.

For new shooters and maybe to check an advanced shooter: I work one on one for this, generally in a living room, etc. I supply a double action revolver unless the new shooter has one. I use a pencil type laser pointer, tape the “on” button for continuous laser, tape or rubber band the laser along side the barrel. Then check the gun one more time for “empty”. Point the gun at a spot on the wall, a small “posit note” works well. Run the trigger for the student then let them do the same. What usually happens when I run the trigger is a laser spot with little movement. Then the student; usually with lots of laser movement. This is normal, a person has to learn to move only the trigger finger and not the gun too. Dry fire for this is best running the trigger very slowly both press and reset. A revolver is necessary for this drill.

1 Like

Laser training cartridge’s are an excellent way to improve on that to

In my opinion P.O.S.T. training for LEO’s, other defensive training classes such as USCCA training and live fire drills help defensive accuracy. You will fall back on your training in real life scenarios. It is also my opinion (although expensive) that there is no substitute for real live fire range time with a variety of targets. In a catastrophic incident involving defensive firearm use I understand I will not be able to look at the attacker and evaluate shot placement–I will just have to trust that I engaged the attacker and that all my shots are on target just as when I train. Outdoor and indoor range training from ground to standing two handed isosceles–strong hand, weak hand, rain, shine, daylight or night scenarios. Also getting used to the sound of live gunfire is of value when concentrating on staying alive in a critical incident.

That being said I believe good verbal judo is the first step to avoiding unnecessary and costly confrontation. The Chinese symbol for “Judo” is translated literally “Gentle Way”. Or as Kenny Rogers so eloquently sang in his song “Coward of the County”–walk away from trouble if you can.

I had the honor of meeting Tim Schmidt and Kevin Michalowski in Atlanta GA. The USCCA is an amazing story of success helping educate, train and inform members. The USCCA has a wonderful staff as well!

1 Like

The best way I’ve found to increase accuracy, especially in a stressful situation such as defense is muscle memory. Start with the basics and practice, practice, practice until it becomes second nature. Find a solid stance to establish a solid base to shoot from. You should draw your weapon and establish your grip properly. Practice this until you get it right every time before you fire any shots. Move on to the fundamentals of accuracy; sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control and breath control. It takes a long time and lots of practice. I had the luxury of getting the training and practice as a military police officer. Not too many people get that chance. As an instructor, I got even more time to work on my proficiency. Drawing a pistol quickly and firing it accurately is second nature to me because the muscle memory is part of me. Even though I’m retired now, I still practice so that I stay proficient.