Weak Hand Draw

That’s what I might have to do. I use a Sneaky Pete and the way it’s constructed and where it sits makes it really hard to get to with my left hand.
It wouldn’t be too much of a problem to carry 2 since I do carry in my left front pocket when I’m wearing a suit.

2 Likes

Sage advice for any situation. Always be training and learning. And always carry because you just never know when you’ll be called upon to protect those you love.

1 Like

Just came back from the range and this morning was MY time for a change. What did I choose to practice? Weak hand shooting from multiple positions.

300 rounds later, feeling pretty good about myself, like I really accomplished something today :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I think what people forget most is to practice what they’ve been taught. That is where the learned skills are developed. I think it’s fair to say dozens of hours learning should be follow by hundreds of hours practicing. Realize learned skills are perishable.

2 Likes

Learning is an activity. Translating that which is learned into actual usable knowledge and true skills requires a lifelong mindset and a commitment to ongoing practice. All training sessions require motivation and goals. Shooting in all disciplines, but specially handguns for self defense, is NOT like riding a bike, it’s a swiftly perishable skill. I discover something new I didn’t know before in just about every trip to the range.

4 Likes

@Enzo_T did you try kneeling, squatting or prone position just curious.

1 Like

Not today. I do shoot from those positions rather frequently and also laying down on my back shooting between and to the side of my legs and laying down on either side.

I also practice drawing/shooting from those positions and from inside my car out of either side windows. And most importantly drawing and shooting while walking forward and backwards.

Today was a simple day and I was just concentrating on trigger presses. 5 shots one hand and pass the gun to the other. I only had a little over an hour to shoot so I just put up two targets and went at it.

2 Likes

That’s awesome stuff brother @Enzo_T and you’ll be surprised how many concealed carriers out there don’t believe it’s necessary to practice those types of tactics. Any chance I get I will practice and train using those techniques.

1 Like

Good for you! Folks don’t realize that if you’ve never planned or practiced for a particular encounter you’ll end up “winging it”. I’m not the type that relies on just luck.

There’s an old joke that has an older gentleman praying to God every week asking him to let him win lotto. After a few years God responds and says “Could you at least give me something to work with and buy a ticket?”

I’m just giving God something to work with so he can help me win if bad people decide we’re the target today.

But I also realize that most folks are not lucky to have a range that gives them the freedom to do these things. The fact is that you can practice all of this at home using yellow training guns or laser SIRT guns just as effectively.

4 Likes

My father was a marine and he always told me learn how to shoot with your left hand cuz if you’re dominant hand you ever lose it or something happens to it you need to learn how to hold your gun with your left hand or practice with a smaller gun so that way your hand gets used to the weight and pushing the trigger unless you’re ambidextrous like me then there’s really you know no point but for somebody who’s a dominant on one side just practice with a smaller gun on the weak side and then that way you get used to doing it until you can have your standard

2 Likes