Watching this video making a sidearm I feel both disturbed and satisfied

Ran across this video of what appears to be India, a small group making sidearms in the most primitive of circumstances. The working conditions disturb me, yet they seem to come out with a good product. If I had the $$ I would love to hire this group exclusively for a week and ask them to make me 10-15 sidearms at a very slow pace using their most accurate, deliberate, fine tuned best. Take their time and produce as precision as possible. I bet their everyday product is very fine anyway, but to get them to put all their efforts into 10-15 guns at their absolute best… I bet you would have some very fine sidearms. I guess the steel would make a difference… but using the best of everything with full attention to just a few units… I would take the chance. Just knowing the skill put into it would make me proud of them.

4 Likes

Skill and attention to detail, hope they are on our side, because we don’t have people like this anymore! They’re not even using today’s technology and I didn’t see a spec sheet! What I do see is pride, there are very few people that take pride in their work today!

I’m afraid to burnish a burr out of the side of my slide, for fear my firearm will never work the same when I’m done!

Everything they do is a work of art, check the tile floor, ( 4:44 ) you don’t think that was installed or designed by Home Depot?

3 Likes

I worked with a hippie draft dodger. He traveled all over the world and saw AK 47s being made and sold on the street. They had racks full of them and if you pointed to one they would put a full mag. in it and let you fire it full auto up in the air, if you liked it you bout it, if not moved on no questions asked. Years ago I was in a pawn and gun shop, I saw a set of 6 knifes marked for $11. I bought them and saw that they were in fact hand made in Pakistan. I’ve been keeping one of them in every rig I’ve ever owned for more than 50 years. It’s very sentimental and unlike some other tools it has never been involved in the hide and seek conspiracy to include jumping into other peoples tool boxes.
PS: if I wasn’t so lazy I’d get off my skinny ass and take a pic. of the old faithful knife, maybe next time.
Stay sharp.

4 Likes

It’s manual machining. There isn’t really anything special taking place here. Some machining, some bench work.

Years back, some Califoreignya hack politician was suggesting background checks for those seeking to purchase machine tools.

4 Likes

My dad was a Tool & Die maker. He also gun smithed in his machine shop. Seems to me, everything he did was free hand without drawings or spec. He just did what it took to make the piece work.

4 Likes

I’m guessing that’s some kind of joke at the end, final result “Gen 5 Glock”…

2 Likes

There is no need for this! Just find people who have mechanical skills and blind them, as has been traditional in those CA politicians’ beloved home countries.

2 Likes