Warrior Poet Society

Rob Pincus/Personal Defense Network is $59/year (Premium is enough)… but if you sign up for e-mailing list you can have Premium Membership for less than $5/year :slightly_smiling_face:

$80/year doesn’t seem a lot… but I prefer to pay this money for life training.

2 Likes

This is why its always good to watch more than one source. IIRC, Lovell was a Army Ranger so his doorkicking experience is very different to Feildboy who seems more SWAT/SF. Or, put another way… Lovell is going as fast as possible, Feildboy is going carefully (there is a Ranger/SF joke in there somewhere). Each tactic has its merits and totally depends on the situation. There is much to be learned from both approaches.

Here’s another flavor as well

6 Likes

The truth is - which one of us is going to clear the house?
I’ve been watching few scenarios how to do this… but would never tell - “i know how to clear the house”
I’m staying in safe place and waiting for LEO…

BTW - all 3 videos were great !

3 Likes

I did clear my house once. My alarm system went off at night while my family was at the hospital. My family left the garage door up because of a situation with our dryer. I did not do a tacticool house clearing, but I did grab a gun and I searched every nook and cranny of my home. In this situation, the police showed up, flashes a light around my door and in my garage, and then left. They don’t clear your home if their is no immediate threat.

I would also argue that being quick could potentially give you an advantage when clearing. If you are by yourself, you could creep around the house, if it’s a dynamic situation, someone could get you from behind (there’s no one to watch your back.) moving forward quickly may be a necessary thing. I doubt any of us would be clearing a room, but I wouldn’t mind having some knowledge on it. In fact, dynamic clearing seems to be the only potentially plausible type of clearing we might use… but I don’t know why I’m writing about this. This post was supposed to be about this guys channel :rofl::joy::rofl::joy:.

4 Likes

I thought you made your point well. I think I made my point poorly tbh. I have my hands full, and I was typing, watching tv, juggling a baby, and talking to my wife while typing :joy:.

I was just arguing for the idea of John’s clearing being an acceptable practice. You mentioned running and gunning, without a flash bangs being a bad idea. I was just saying maybe it’s not… I don’t know what I’m talking about though. I also didn’t mean to shoot you down with my comment about Questioning why we’re discussing this. I mentioned that because I just thought it was funny this ended up being discussed here (but I’m on this forum to discuss things like this).

Johns form of clearing was compared to another video to disprove John being a good instructor. I thought that was not a fair comparison. I think your comment about all 3 videos being good in their own separate context was good. I think it was also practical for you to say we probably shouldn’t be clearing anything anyway. I was just challenging that statement a bit, but I actually 99.99% agree with you.

3 Likes

There is so much wrong in the first video and so much right in the 2nd. That being said it is situation dependent. In the first video the clearer was moving at speed as if he had a clock that he had to beat. That may be a real thing. In the second it was an instructional methodology as to the how and why you do what you do. The reality is attempting to do a single man clear of a structure is a bad idea and should be avoided if possible. Murphy often dictates the rules of the game. You can effectively clear 85% of a room by standing outside the door the last 15% is the corners of the narrow angles. The hinge side of the door is 10% and the strike side is 5%. If you can clear the strike side of the room to within 12 - 6" of the corner you can back into the room and take the last 10% of the corner behind the door. A bad guy is usually facing you full on and not samiched up against the wall/corner.

The second video talked about the 60 -90 gun up. In reality it is 60-90-150. At the point in time that you decide to cross over the door way it should be one continuous movement from gun down to gun up and lateral movement . Then you begin again to slice the pie to the narrow angles from the other side.

Room clearing can be CQB and CQB can be room clearing, they are not the same. It is dynamic and a thinking man’s game. Doing it by yourself is in general pretty sketchy.

Cheers,

Caig6

7 Likes

I did find this video from WPS. I think Lovell’s clearing philosophy involves being quick on approaching the hidden angles. Whether that’s best practice or not. I do not know. I watched another video of his and refers to this as “High Speed Death Chess”

2 Likes

I also found this video :rofl::joy:.

4 Likes

So … it’s better stay in safe place :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Well… when you put that way :sweat_smile::joy:

2 Likes

Clearing the house always comes with danger. If not needed, just avoid the danger.
These 5 seconds of his speech explains everything.
clear

4 Likes

Hey Craig. Thanks for your input. When you say there was a lot wrong with the first video, was it mainly because he appeared rushed to you? Or was there more to it? I’m genuinely curious.

1 Like

I’ve cleared my house a few times. I’m more of a take it slow and slice the pie in tiny pieces, I’m also a fan of high lumen count flashlights when I do it.

Also a fan of having my dogs with me.

3 Likes

Lots of good exchange of philosophy going on here. Keeping in mind most of the talk is about an ‘event’ in our own home and not an opium den in a far away land AND assuming that the power isn’t out, I’ll be the one drinking my coffee and checking the video from wherever I am when the cameras/motion sensor/contact sensor/glass break gets triggered.
It’s usually a spider/moth at the door or bird in the garage type event. BUT, if a glass break triggers, then there is motion in the basement and then another door opens (yes I have contact sensors on inside doors to)… call the cops and when they are in position turn all the lights on and trigger the sirens… there are times when I actually set the alarm, but more often I just receive alerts to sensor activity.

3 Likes

I’m signed up already. I’ve watched his vids and like his style of training tuff, but also like the bit softer side.

4 Likes

I found this video, and it has been my favorite on the subject of clearing by yourself. Clint is absolutely logical with his approach. This lesson was also designed for civilians. I understand now why some people have an issue with the WPS video.

1. Clint says he doesn’t want anyone to clear a structure, but he teaches it in case you have to. He said it would be better to Call the police, hide behind your dresser in the bedroom with a gun, and let the dog bite the intruder in the pants. BUT he covers it in case it’s necessary.

2. He emphasizes slow. He says fast kills.
    Logically, if you die clearing quick, you are zero help to what you are trying to accomplish.

3. He maintains as much distance and cover at all times. Logically, that makes you harder to shoot.

4. He plans the escape route, and adjusts his approach to keep escape quick if necessary.

3 Likes

I’m wondering why nobody uses mirrors to visualize blank spots in room corners… :thinking:
I know it’s not “tactical”, but we use every tool that may help…
This idea wasn’t taken from movies :shushing_face:

2 Likes

The few times I have had to clear and sweep.

1. Got home late wife and daughter were home and a door was open. Went in , gathered wife and daughter, got them in my room. Gave wife phone and then went in low and slow, from room to room. Dogs in lead. Yappiest first.

2. Came home from picking daughter up from school early due to inclement weather closure, and back door had a busted window. Dropped her at a neighbors, cleared to my room , armored up, gathered dogs and went low and slow. Window was busted by flying debris.

3. I knew someone was in house. I was recovering from a surgery and my Jack Russell alerted and my 2 Huskies, and my Pit, went for whoever it was. He went running deeper into the house, I was on couch in living room, cleared to my room. Barricaded the door and called police. He went off back deck and the dogs had got a piece of him, as their was a blood spatter trail on the back deck and down the sides. There are no stairs but there are 2, 30 foot chain ladders in the room that leads to back deck.

Puppers got a nice treat that night as there was steak all around. I will say I was shocked. My Huskies had never shown any signs of being guardians before. I think they could tell I was badly hurt and they were defending me. That may be anthropomorphism, but it’s how it felt

Super secret :chipmunk: edit: for @Jerzees. I’ve used angled mirrors for a long time. Habit from EOD days.

All other times I’ve gotten daughter to our bedroom, called dogs in and called the police. In 2 of those 3 cases, it looked like user error and I didn’t want to be the guy that called wolf to much.

6 Likes

:ok_hand: I knew it… somebody was smart here :+1:

2 Likes

John got shot from under the second bed, then was shot for a second time for not checking his six as he entered the last hall.