Walgreens joins businesses asking customers not to openly carry weapons in

The Wal-Mart shooting in Texas was a real tragedy, but Wal Mart failed to protect its customers from harm, now they are trying to remove the presents of firearms from there stores by law abiding customers, this presents could help to protect us from these lunatics! I personally am boycotting Wal Mart, Wal Greens, Krogers and any other retailer that chooses to try to take away any part of my constitutional rights, and chooses to take away my ability to protect my family and myself, it will only be a matter of time until they remove firearms completely from there establishments
. I ask that you join me in boycotting these retailers!

1 Like

No, they are not. Read carefully, they are “asking” customers to not open carry. In all cases but CVS they have said nothing about concealed carry.

And it’s “presence”.

1 Like

Its a persons right to chooses how they prefer to carry there firearm, taking away this choice is a violation of there 2nd amendment rights, I prefer to carry concealed but that’s my choice!

1 Like

There has been a lawsuit against a Kroger supermarket in Kentucky because they did nothing to prevent people from carrying in their stores. Two people were killed when a man walked in and shot two people both African American. Before going to Kroger, he stopped at and was trying to get in to a nearby church that was predominantly African American.
My point is that you can sue anyone for anything. It does not mean you are going to prevail.
If you do not like or agree with the policies of a business, you should choose to take your business elsewhere. A business is not the insurer of an invitee’s safety and most criminal acts are considered a superseding, intervening cause which would not cast liability on the business owner unless there was a history of violence that would justify increased security.

1 Like

@HKshooter first off I would like to welcome you to the group.

I never once said he handled himself or the situation incorrectly. Likewise, I never said he had to educate the employee just that it was a missed educational opportunity. Along with saying it is his choice whether wanting to take it or not.i also stated it was just my opinion.

I am a consultant by trade. Part of my job is to give options. It’s the individual’s or group’s right to make their choices. I’m just informing them that there are more than one approach. Sure management should educate their employees better but they don’t. I’m also a member of one of the most marginalized groups in society today. Because of which is why I made the suggestion of educating. I’ve had to do this with educating others about my community because of who I am. Do I have to? No. Should I have to? Also, no. I do because people in general don’t care to learn the facts or give the facts either.

2 Likes

Sucks to! As a former employee I guess should
Have known they would do this yet they don’t worry about their employees when they are on overnights by themselves!!

1 Like

Because they don’t care! It’s all about the bottom dollar now!!

2 Likes

I, as an individual, cannot violate another person’s Constitutional rights. A business, also a person under the law, generally cannot violate another person’s Constitutional rights (with the major exception being discrimination). Only the government can violate your Constitutional rights as promulgated in the Bill of Rights.
“The Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.”
This is part of the Preamble to the Bill of Rights. With the exception of those civil rights that have been legislated with respect to discrimination of certain protected classes, the Bill of Rights protects the people from abuses from the government, not from other people. These rights are only protected by state actors under the color of law.
If I have guests in my home, I do not need to allow them to speak freely or practice their religion or speak out against the government. Likewise, a business can do the same. A grocery store or a mall does not need to allow picketers to congregate or walk through their property protesting some cause. It is private property even if it is open to the public and a private person or entity is not capable of violating your constitutional rights.

4 Likes

An excellent post and something many need to hear and learn about, @MikeBKY. Most don’t know this and the point above about education is one that should be sung on both sides of the issue, ie; CC vs OC and the “violation of rights”.

3 Likes

When I made that comment it was in response to that mans comment that he didn’t understand why anyone would open carry, I don’t violate anyone’s right to tell me they don’t want me carrying my fire arm on there property, I don’t spend my money there either. It just bothers me when a person finds it more comfortable to carry concealed puts down an other person for carrying open, both should have the choice

1 Like

I respect your opinion and I also respect the right of a private person to say what they will or will not allow on their property. I understand a businesses concern about people openly carrying firearms and the probability it will be offensive to other customers whether warranted or not. The incident at the Oklahoma Walmart shortly after El Paso is a good example of how many in the public look at openly carried firearms. Of course, the timing of the OK incident occurred when the wounds from El Paso were still raw.

2 Likes

Well I definitely appreciate all the different comments made. I see a lot of different points. Thinking back about it now I wish there had been an opportunity to maybe help educate her. But she seemed a bit aggravated/aggressive at the time so I honestly didn’t even think about it because of that. But I think all the comments have given me some good perspective if it were to happen again. I respect their decisions to do this even though i don’t agree with it. It was just an unfortunate encounter as I was conceal carrying and my shirt just kind of adhered to my gun when I bent over to fix my shoelace. But I will continue to carry and I will still conceal carry to hopefully avoid any problems. And honestly, most of the times I do open carry is only because of what clothing I am wearing at that time. Only big reason I don’t like the new ban.

2 Likes

what about all the federal and state buildings where firearms are barred, open or concealed carry? Banks, hospitals, churches, etc., are those places violating our 2nd amendment rights? Sounds like this store is only barring open carry because of how it affects
the shoppers?

Very respectfully,

Randolphe P. Lewis

YNC(SS)(USN - Retired)

Disabled Vietnam Era Veteran

Depends on the state… my bank is firearms neutral, and state law in MO leaves it up to the individual school board… so that’s a matter of working to influence and educate people, and it’s pretty common to win that one in most areas of MO.

Fed building are a different issue because they’re not a business or private property.

“They’re only trying to…” is printed on every cobblestone on the slippery slope. I believe that in the effort to appear “reasonable” we are giving away the store.

Are my second amendment rights being violated by Walgreens? No, they can set the rules for shopping there, and I have a choice about where to shop. What they are doing is restricting my legal behavior, while in their store, to make others more comfortable. Ok. But for me, that behavior is about my safety, which is one of the reasons I sometimes OC. So I’m not playing. My safety is worth more to me than other people’s comfort, and it’s worth more to me than my convenience as well.

The bigger issue for me is that it normalizes the “open carry is BAD / guns are BAD / there’s something wrong with people who OC and they’re scary and dangerous” point of view. It helps entrench that as the baseline of cultural norm, and that’s a fine foundation for “ALL carry is BAD / guns are BAD / there’s something wrong with people with people who have guns and carry”.

If we’re going to retain or reclaim our rights, you have to draw the line somewhere. This is where I draw it.

2 Likes

I live in Arizona a large number of people open carry I personally carry concealed, my problem is that this is an antigun tactic if there permitted to get away with this whats next, my 2nd amendment rights say I can carry my fire arm as I see fit, if you support the 2nd amendment you should support this, my church supports my 2nd A rights we have armed security for people like the nut job that attacked Walmart in Texas!

3 Likes

I thank you for your feed back, but in response, there are several states that its legal to open carry with out a permit, you cant carry concealed with out a ccw. Walmart has been the location of several mass shootings, they have failed to protect there customers from these shootings, there trying to take away the peoples right who don’t posses a ccw to protect themselves! I personally refuse to do business with any company or organization that have anti gun policy’s & I encourage all law biding 2nd amendment & gun advocates to do the same!

3 Likes

They don’t care about your safety or mine. They care about their agenda.

4 Likes

It never ceases to amaze me how few people are aware of this. I was taught this is ELEMENTARY school and then again getting my Citizenship badge in BSA. I believe it was while I was in Cub Scouts, but may have been further along. It’s been quite a while since those days.

2 Likes

@Rich5 you are 100% right. Welcome to the group

2 Likes

This is a great point for us all to remember! Thanks, @MikeBKY!

4 Likes