Voting from another country

Is this going on in American Elections? You can leave the country, take up house keeping in another country and still vote in the American Elections?

From the Article
" becoming a U.S. citizen, Zelaya went on, “doesn’t mean we don’t have cultural and family ties to where we came from.”

" Fernando Pérez, consul general of the Salvadoran Consulate in Salt Lake City, called the expatriate community “a fundamental part of our nation,” noting the money those living and working abroad send to family members in El Salvador. According to the Salvadoran newspaper El Mundo, expatriate Salvadorans sent $8.2 billion to El Salvador in 2023 — more money than generated by exports — benefitting 25% of households in the country."

1 Like

This is a telling statistic. Businesses in El Salvador generate less export revenue than do El Salvador citizens who leave the county to work abroad and send money back home. The Bracero Program in the 1940s-1960s was designed on similar principles. Under that program, Mexican laborers entered the US to work on farms and railroads that provided income for their families. The Bracero program eventually led to the creation of the H2-A visa program for temporary workers.

Interestingly, Mexico sought penalties on US firms that employed undocumented Mexican workers and the US made it a felony to harbor or conceal illegal migrants, but Texas insisted on an exemption for employing undocumented workers in agricultural work.

2 Likes

Yes, absentee voting from other countries is common. A primary use is for diplomats and military posted overseas, but anyone who keeps their citizenship as an ex-pat can vote absentee in theri state of citizenship. From a legal and practical standpoint it is quite reasonable.

2 Likes

Shhh! You will make the liberals want to implement legalize voting in US elections available to anyone in every country. Of course, there would only be one party on the ballot, and I think we know which one that would be.

3 Likes

Do we set up polling sights and advertise in the news?

1 Like

On military bases, yes. There is a specific DoD program to help overseas military members vote. I worked briefly with them about 20 yers ago. As for general ex-pats, no, unless they stay in otuch with the local US consulate.

3 Likes

When I was in Europe 76-79 I don’t remember any voting stuff on our base. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t there, I just didn’t see any of it.

1 Like

There may not have been in the 70’s. I worked with then around 2000.

3 Likes