Virginia cop loses job after chief finds out he donated $25 to Kyle Rittenhouse legal fund

Be assured, my brother, it is not just you; it’s many of us. They terminated him, because they are against what he did, or more appropriately whom he did it for, not how he did it.

4 Likes

More fuel for the lawsuit. Unless he violated a department policy by using his work E- mail he probably has a case! IMO

3 Likes

Would appear to me not a dismissal offense. Just seems harsh to me.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Just don’t donate to this from your business email address. :wink:

7 Likes

It appears that the statement he made through an official Email address is his downfall.

His statement coupled with the Email addy could be construed as official comment on the incident.

Kelly wrote a comment on Rittenhouse’s crowdfunding site along with his donation, which read: "God bless. Thank you for your coverage. Keep your head up. You’ve done nothing wrong. Every rank and file police officer supports you. Don’t be discouraged by actions of the political class of law enforcement leadership."

3 Likes

I hadn’t realized he was a lieutenant with the department until recently, @George98, and so I think you’re quite right. Essentially, as a officer of that rank, he’s “management,” and his statements could indeed be construed as official department commentary.

Still not a fireable level offense, though.

4 Likes

Virginia Termination (with Discharge): What you need to know

Although I agree the punishment may exceed the crime, legally I think his goose is cooked. Hopefully he can find another Department that agrees with us!

Virginia is an “employment-at-will” state. This means that an employer may generally terminate an employee at any time, for any reason or no reason at all, unless an agreement exists that provides otherwise. There are, however, limitations on the doctrine. For instance, a federal or state law, collective bargaining agreement, or individual employment contract may restrict an employer’s ability to terminate an employee.

2 Likes

I get what you are saying, but if unofficial position of his PD is any different from what he spelled out - it would be a damning statement on the PD. Now that he is fired, what are the ordinary citizens to think about the PD, what the heck kind of message the brass had sent to ordinary people under their protection.
I also hope he continues his career in LE. An officer, or a lieutenant like him, who adheres to the spirit of the law and cares is a credit to any department.

4 Likes

Police Officer Fired Over $25 Donation to Kyle Rittenhouse Demands Job Back After Verdict

2 Likes

I just wonder why, with cell phones and all the technology, he used his company email to make the donation? Don’t think he should have been fired, but he certainly should have known better.

4 Likes