Vampire straw’ weapon confiscated from passenger at Boston airport

Don’t keep your straw in your carryon :man_vampire:

Sheila Flynn

Sat, April 29, 2023 at 5:09 PM CDT·1 min read

Massachusetts authorities discovered and confiscated a weapon called a “vampire straw” at Boston’s Logan International Airport after a passenger attempted to conceal it in carry-on luggage, authorities said.

Transportation Security Administrator Dan Velez on Monday tweeted a photo of the vampire straw, which can be used like a dagger, and wrote: “These items are not allowed in passenger carry-on bags.

“A passenger found that out yesterday @BostonLogan when @MassStatePolice confiscated the item and eventually arrested the 26-year-old man on a state charge. #travelfail

Arman Achuthan Nair, of Chicago, was detained on Sunday evening and charged with carrying a dangerous weapon after a 10-inch long titanium straw with a beveled end was found in his backpack, AP reported.

The straws, which can be used to consume drinks, is referred to as a “weapon” on the website of knife retailer Szaboinc.com.

“Designed for self defense, the Vampire straw is super tough and long enough to be used like a dagger; its chiseled tip is sharp enough to puncture most synthetic materials,” the site states.

TSA spokesman Velez told McClatchy News that the Logan passenger had “artfully concealed the Vampire straw with other straws.”

Nair posted bail and was next due in court on 30 May, AP reported.

4 Likes

An $85 titanium “straw” sold by a knife company and described on its website as a self defense weapon that can be disguised as a drinking straw is a pretty stupid thing to try to carry on a plane.

Just my opinion.

16 Likes

I bet the Count would be jealous, you could drink direct from the jugular with this straw. :thinking:

6 Likes

I’d say this speaks to the “will TSA confiscate a tactical pen” question

8 Likes

Well, a vampire pen, maybe.

3 Likes

Tactical vampire pen

5 Likes

Well, we have a few metal straws in the kitchen, but none of them have a pointy edge, or a textured grip (??). And I figured that none of them would be TSA friendly regardless…

4 Likes

I was ‘caught’ with an ''ASSAULT Nail Clippers" once… :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:Hamburger Flippers!

6 Likes

Don’t understand the need for this straw when you can take knitting needles on without any problem. Just make sure to also have some yarn and the start of a knitted hat or sweater.

Of course I have no idea why knitting needles are good to go but nail clippers are considered dangerous weapons? I’d much rather face someone trying to jab me with the stubby, flimsy twistable file on nail clippers than someone with a pair of foot long metal spikes.

5 Likes

The very same reason they want to disarm the American Citizen and free the killers!
Everything that’s right is wrong and vice versa!

5 Likes

Scott 52. THE A HOLES BEHIND THE UN , DO WANT THE AMERICAN :us: PEOPLE DISARMED :bangbang: SO WHEN THEY TRY TO TAKE OVER OUR NASHION :bangbang::100: THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THE AMERICAN CITIZENS :bangbang::bangbang: ARE ARMED AND THE TOOLS THAT ARE BETTER THAN THE CRAP , THEY HAVE AN , WE ARE AFTER ALL , WHEN IT GETS REAL :bangbang::us::latin_cross::latin_cross::latin_cross::100::chile: THE AMERICAN MEN &,WOMEN , ARE TRAINED :bangbang: AND NO AMEASTRASHION IN NO OVEL OFFICE :bangbang: IS GOING TO DECIDE ,ANYTHING ABOUT , OUR FREEDOM , , AND WE ARE BLESSED AND, TRULY READY ,:bangbang::100::latin_cross::latin_cross::latin_cross::us::chile::dizzy::zap::sparkles::owl::feather::feather: FOR THE GRATEST SUPRIZE​:bangbang::bangbang:AMERICAN,LOVE OF THEIR RIGHTS AND FREEDOM. WE WILL MORE THAN HOLD THE LINE. WE ARE GOING TO MOVE IT , THE USCCA HAS , AT LEAST 7,HUNDRED THOUSAND , AMERICANS , RESPONSIBLE TRAINED AND IN SURED TT TAKE THE FIGHT TO THE FORNERS THAT , WILL NEVER TRY WHAT THEY ARE PLANNING EVER AGAIN HOOWA​:dizzy::zap::sparkles::fire::100::chile::us::owl::feather::feather::100::100::100::100::100::100::100::100::bangbang:

3 Likes

I think it’s mostly all about security theater with the TSA. They feel they can get away with putting on a show by taking away nail clippers that no one really cares about. But no way are they brave enough to try and take gramma’s cherished knitting needles.

7 Likes

Scott 52 THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE THE PROUDEST PEOPLE ON EARTH :bangbang: every red neck every Black man mexeecan indan and on an on the worest fight I have ever had was at a bar that I clearly did not do my RESEARCH :100::bangbang: AND A CROSS DRESSER THAT STOOD ABOUT 67 AND HAD STELELLTOES DAM NEER ENDED MY CAREER AS AN AZZHOLE. I TRUELY DID NOT KNOW WHERE I WAS , just like that UNITED NASHION , GROOP :bangbang::broken_heart::eyes::poop::poop::sparkles::sparkles::sparkles::dizzy::zap: I WENT TO SCHOOL THAT NIGHT BROTHER DO NOT MESS WITH THE AMERICAN :us: PEOPLE WE ARE FREE TO DO THE UN THINKABLE AND I AM A BAD AZZ AND THEN I AM NEVER GOING BACK TO FIND MY FLIPPING HAT THE ENEMY HAS NO CLUE WHAT WE THE PEOPLE FOR THE PEOPLE BY. BY. THE PEOPLE HAW HAW ARE TRULY ABOUT :bangbang::100::100::100::100::100::eyes::dizzy::zap::sparkles::sparkles::sparkles::chile:

I do recall a news story, early in TSA’s official existence, where they took grandma’s knitting needles. I’m not sure if they learned their lesson or not. Tactical knitting needles would be frowned on, I’m sure, as would vampire knitting needles.

2 Likes

i bet that thing is hell on a capri sun :rofl:

3 Likes

If you artfully conceal something it is an indication that you are trying to bypass the law. Hence the ruling. Something akin to hiding a blade in your shoe as opposed to just giving it up on site. I digress. Am a little surprised that a liberal Boston airport would make a deal out of this. After-all aren’t vampires a protected gender/ethnic group by Biden law? Yes I’m being facetious.

2 Likes

Indeed. If you research the bylaws of TSA it states that they cannot make an arrest nor can the willfully confiscate an item. The passenger has the right not to board the flight and leave the area. As an example. You can refuse to give up your knife and leave the area. An officer will then take your knive and give it to you at the exit lane. When it comes to firearms TSA can detain an individual but cannot make an arrest. They must bring in a LEO to do that.

3 Likes