Vacation Safety

Outside of the carrying aspect, what do you do for your personal safety when you go on vacation?

For example, I never post online when I’m actually going on vacation. I don’t want people to know my home is empty because I’m gone.

What other safety precautions do you take?

1 Like

The typical things, have the neighbors check on things, double check the safe is locked and the oven off :slight_smile:
But we have livestock that needs tending daily so our place is never without someone on it for a good part of the day, even if it’s not us.
We dont talk about vacations online until after we’re back.

1 Like

I don’t post about it, my mom comes by at odd hours to take care of my cat, and check the house.

When I get where I’m going I ask the hotel receptionist to write my room number down and not say it out loud, and I always leave the do not disturb sign on the door.

2 Likes

When we do go on vacation I tell my wife not to post about us leaving and only say she’s going to be busy for the next week or so. I don’t have social media, so I don’t have to worry about that issue. We always stay in a cabin in the mountains in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg and we always leave lights on in the house like someone is home.

3 Likes

Do you us light timers, @Damon? I have a couple of lights that are always on a timer whether I’m at home or not.

1 Like

Yeah we have timers for the living room and her craft room, but we leave the bedroom lights on constantly.

2 Likes

With Memorial Day only a few weeks away and a lot of people traveling, I thought I’d bump this to the top for more discussion.

Does anyone use a house sitter when they’re gone? Or a dog sitter? How well are those people acquainted with your self and home defense?

1 Like