Using Public DNR ranges for CPL Training?

Is there any legality to using a DNR public shooting range to teach a CPL class for the USCCA?

2 Likes

Good question but I am not aware of any DNR public shooting ranges. If these do exist, where?

5 Likes

Some States have them but not all. I would think the legality, permitting and fees would vary by State. If you are charging for classes they may require some sort of formal permission, scheduling and maybe even insurance. Though in some States it is possible that formal classes might not be allowed at all on publicly managed ranges.

2 Likes

I would contact the DNR in you area.

3 Likes

I have contacted my own state dept. of natural resources. They seemed pretty cool to ask Q’s. I find that some sources are the ones who over see that actual specific site. I tended to ask hunting and fishing Q’s of them. I have used their ranges, but it seemed mainly for bird shot, mainly or exclusively, and I think they were ok with training, but they were very careful about me sticking to bird shot.

I guess, try to call or email them? IDK.

Interesting question.

5 Likes

You have to sign a DNR to join the range? :thinking:

3 Likes

Virginia has/had a shooting facility at the Bull Run Battlefield for decades. In fact, I learned to shoot clays in trap, skeet, five stand, and sporting clay activities there. It’s been 20-years since I last visited the place as I relocated.

Bull Run is a state park protected area from the Civil War.

It was a fun place for families, while being instructive to gun safety for anyone interested.

I genuinely enjoyed going there on weekends or after work.

4 Likes

Here in Arkansas I used a state-owned range to teach USCCA DSF 1. It is a major outdoor range with rifle, pistol, shotgun, and special use ranges. The special use range is used regularly for official law enforcement classes; I was able to reserve it easily for my class. It worked out great for the students and for me.

4 Likes

Just got off the phone with the biologist that runs that DNR range. He’s gonna look into it for the next couple of weeks but they have denied instructors in the past because its a piblic range and don’t really allow commercial use out of it. Alternatively they have let some group train out of that range but the instructor responsible had to obtain a Land Use permit.

Looks like more hoops for me to jump through.

2 Likes

You’re killing me @Karacal :rofl:

2 Likes