Using language against us

As a newbie I did not have all the facts about guns as I do now. I was not ready to start a argument which might have ended in a shouting match. That would might have ended possible contact with her mother and me in the future. I stored the four guns I owned in my locked car and in my attached garage which provided halfway easy access to them. Now I can possibly talk some sense into her in the future. She was always my little rebel getting her first tattoo on her birthday when to was legal to do so. Meet one fellow at a gun store whose neighbor kicked his son out of house when he participated in the protest in Chicago’s Grant Park.

At a certain point each and everyone of us cease to be responsible for our children and their actions. It was the same for our parents. This is a good thing as we are each endowed with free will / free choice and must choose our own path in life.
As parents we should, of course, offer reminders of the values we instilled in them, forgiveness, and positive support for good choices.
We do not owe it to them, nor should we, compromise our values to 'keep the peace" and after a certain point we most certainly should not follow them down any rabbit holes of their own making. Just remind them where they come from when their head pops up.

I have a nephew who is severely over indulged, to the point of being an emotional cripple, by his grandmother. He literally expects ‘payment/bribes’ to do the most basic things. Needless to say, he has found himself in trouble with the law and takes no responsibility for his own actions. At one point I was coaching him that the judge has seen hundreds of kids and heard all their excuses 100 times, he had already been given his breaks, and his best course of action was to come clean and own his actions (they actually had him pegged to the crime by ankle bracelet gps).

You know his response…?? ‘I’ll confess if you buy me a jeep’. (While it doesnt sound exactly the same as ‘loose the guns or I won’t visit mom’, the spirit is the same.)

I reflexively laughed in his face and told him to go fornicate with himself, followed by a reminder that he was a grown up and could live with his own choices and consequences. The look on his face was priceless. It may have been the first time his blackmail didnt work. I believe he honestly thought that since the trouble was so big, so should his ‘reward’ be…

Now I’m no shrink, and I dont recall ever getting a participation trophy myself, but if any of my kids threatened me with ‘if you dont…, I won’t…’ … it would probably sound like… well. I’m sorry to hear that… or possibly, is that your final answer??

2 Likes

My answer: You’re an adult and I respect your right to make your own choices. We’ll miss you.

5 Likes

We had a kid like that in our life too. Certain of his family members took that same approach of appeasement and bailing him out of trouble. He did indeed come to expect payment for his troubles as he had found a logic to blame his family for his troubles. ( his stealing was their fault, that kind of thing ) His escalation , ( brought on by family running out of resources to bail him out with ), finally went all the way up one day, to death threats, delivered no less, in a rare and uncharacteristic calm. He put special effort into letting us know his anger had gone that far, and that he meant it.

That’s the reward for appeasement and capitulating to threats,- more demands with greater threats to back them up.

Sound familiar?

2 Likes

You mean the problem is the result of pandering, capitulation, and political correctness run amuck… and the answer is that ‘they’ need to be directed to self fornification for their future gratification…???

3 Likes

I kind of figure he had already done that, and it was what we were supposed to bail him out of. My point: demands made with some kind of threat, like " I will not come visit if you don’t–" are a power play. The kid is now treating the parent like a child. It assumes and asserts that they are right, you are wrong, and that you have no right to make the choice you made. They know better than you, and they are going to punish you if you don’t accept their judgment.

It’s taking a correct response to certain situations, misapplying it where it does not belong, and reversing the roles inappropriately.

3 Likes

Sorry :flushed:

someone reminded me this is supposed to be family friendly. I was embarrassed to post it.

3 Likes

Then isnt option D missing… D: She is Catholic
:joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

Oh oh, did we just loose our rating as a family channel?

2 Likes

I predict the appearance of Dawn before long. And I don’t mean sunrise.

I’ll take the over on it being the moderator not dawn. :laughing:

Is it just me? I don’t know if I like the un-named moderator concept. It was nice to know who they were.

Maybe, but we could always just get it back on topic since there has been no name calling nor conflict…

The only way the name calling and redefining language has the desired effect is is you let it…

For example if someone call you a racist simply inquire as to if they are using the traditional deffinition which involves race, or the rewritten definition which condemns authority and the rule if law.

If they call you a capitalist simply remind them that capitalism has produced the highest standard of living and more technological advancement in the last several hundred years than all other forms if government combined over history.

If they call you a nationalist, simply say Yup, this nation, what about it?

I guess the point is that name calling only works if you give a shit

3 Likes

They address themselves as the moderator using the uscca decal as their picture. I wouldn’t consider them unnamed.

1 Like

Perhaps we should become customer1, customer2, etc… and use the dollar sign as our avatar…

1 Like

Like when Russell Crow told the emperor “My name is gladiator”. Lol

1 Like

So that is your way of trying to “buck” the system? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Moderator1, this is Customer12, over…
Go ahead Customer12, this is moderator1…
Moderator1 we have a Troll at 12 o’clock, request permission to engage, over…
Negative Customer12, you are directed to welcome said Troll, confirm…

2 Likes

speaking of which

what do you get if you put 50 female pigs, and 50 male deer in a pen together?

Venison wrapped in bacon???

a hundred-sous-n-bucks $$$