Used Ruger P89

Does anyone have personal experience with the Ruger P89? I have a chance to pick one up from a LPS for a little over $200. According to the serial number it’s a 1993 model, but the trigger feels good and the slide is nicely snug. Overall it seems to be in good shape but it does show some use. Only one mag with it.

3 Likes

They are built like tanks… and a brick. Overall, a good solid gun. Check if it is DA/SA, decock only, or DAO. The DAO models won’t have the safety on the slide.

A friend had the P85, and then a P89. I had a P90 (45acp version) for quite a while. Personal opinion, but I do not think the later P93/95 series was nearly as good… or sexy!

Ruger does still have stuff for them I believe.

1 Like

It’s a DA/SA with ambi safety and mag release…

1 Like

Not bad, I own the p89dc, no safety but has a decocker. Like mine so well, that if I had to give it up to eat I wouldn’t do it. Reliable shoots everything I feed it. Yeah it is brickish but solid, fat due to double stack magazine. Don’t think you could v go wrong on it imho.

2 Likes

I have a p89dc, LOVE it! Never had a misfeed… it eats everything. Decocker is pretty handy, and I’m actually looking for another one with the dc.

Not a tack driver, but will always give you a consistent, if not tiny, group. Easy to maintain, but parts and mags are getting harder to find.

Definitely a tank, but I love industrial, and it is sleek as industrial guns go.

$200 is a lot less than I paid for my p89dc 15 years ago.

2 Likes

My wife has the single stack .45 Ruger since early 90’s it’s DA/SA with a decocker and has never had an issue or even a misfire. Probably 3000_4000 rounds. Great gun. Buy it.

1 Like

For $200 you can’t go wrong. As noted, they are large and heavy and would be a horse to conceal, but they are also solid and reliable. If it fits your needs go for it.

1 Like

I have one and I love it has a great trigger and as everyone said…it’s but like a tank. I also have a few 30rnd pro mags for it.

1 Like

@Jaime4, welcome to the family. There is a small fan club of Ruger P89 owners on here, welcome to the club. You’re right it is a tank heavy but reliable.

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone for the info. And welcome to the club, @Jaime4!

1 Like

I have a P89 and bought it new love the weapon. I did have a issue with the gun, it was with the mag release, a friend was shooting with me at the range. I was able to get the required parts to repair the gun. $200 is a good price. The other weapon to be on the look out for is a PC9 made by Rugar which uses the same mag and caliber of rounds(9X19) it is light weight carbine and very accurate. I own both and I am very happy.

1 Like

Welcome @Stephen50, glad you’re here!

So any update @David38 ? Did you make the purchase? I think I’ve mentioned on other threads that the P89DC was my very first handgun that I purchased back in 1992 and I still have it. Hopefully one of my kids will want it and then in turn give it to one of their kids when they come of age.

I agree with the assessments of the other Ruger owners. Built like a tank, but reliable like nobody’s business. I still take it out to the range every couple months or so. I also upgraded it a few years back with grip laser sights (I had originally upgraded the grips with molded Houge grips.

Anyway, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed (make sure you upgrade to some 15rd magazines, the 93’s and later came with 10rd mags I believe).

1 Like

Sadlly, it was gone before I put the money together and for back there.

Such is the risk of shopping at pawn shops.

1 Like