USCCA and Washington State

I voted! Republican candidate for the office of Insurance Commissioner! I hope many other Washatonians have done like wise!

4 Likes

I live in WA state and have read all these comments and listened to Lars. My question: Has the USCCA done what the insurance commissioner required? “ Kreidler’s office said the USCCA could sell insurance legally in Washington by: 1. Changing its policies to not insure criminal activity and 2. Either becoming a registered insurer or by placing insurance business through surplus lines of brokers.” It seems that after almost 2 years, the USCCA should have been able to resolve these issues.

3 Likes

SHHHHH! Don’t tell California!

1 Like

Welcome to the family brother and god bless you.

Welcome to the Community @Tim98 and @Jeff115. What I know at this time is that USCCA/Delta Defense now has an insurance policy underwritten by Universal Fire and Casualty Insurance Company. That is the easy part.
When a state says that you cannot “insure criminal activity,” a bigger issue is created with respect to the criminal and civil legal protection USCCA provides. If you use a weapon in self defense and are arrested, there is at least an allegation, presumably based upon probable cause, that you committed a criminal act. That being the case, you would not be entitled any of the insurance benefits, criminal or civil, unless you were acquitted. If the policy were to continue, you could only receive benefits as reimbursement for your legal fees, costs and expenses after you won. And, it it were in your best interest to take a plea deal, even to a reduced charge of something like disorderly conduct, it is still a criminal act and you get no protection.

2 Likes

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? It is not a crime until 12 jurors all say it is. Also, is my auto insurance void if I’m speeding and get in an accident?
Civil liability protection is more important to me than criminal. Why not offer non-arrest civil protection to WA & NY residents? Or at least a no-insurance membership to provide access to all the other benefits.

3 Likes

Welcome to the Community @_jdl.53. I agree that you are innocent until proven guilty. But criminal prosecutions are complex and juries can be very fickle animals. Juries are made up of “reasonable” people. But, reasonable people do not often agree. Likewise, what is reasonable in Brandenburg, Kentucky, is not necessarily the same in Louisville, Kentucky, even though they are less than 25 miles from each other.
There is also the reality that it may be better to accept a plea agreement without facing the risk of going to trial. This is true of both civil and criminal trials. And the reality is that over 90% of all cases, criminal and civil, are resolved by agreement without going in front of a jury.
To your question about your auto insurance being void if you are speeding and in an accident? The answer is it depends. In Kentucky, our Supreme Court has held that criminal acts exclusions are valid. However, Kentucky, like many states, has mandatory insurance requirements requiring the owner and operator of any motor vehicle carry insurance up to a minimum limit for tort liability. Our courts have held that an insurer cannot deny coverage to an innocent third party for damages up to the minimum limit but can deny coverage beyond the minimum limits. So, if you have a $1,000,000 in auto liability coverage and you injure or kill someone, your insurer will only provide coverage for up to the minimum limit of $25,000/person up to $50,000 if there are 2 or more people. I cannot speak to how states other than Kentucky handle this.
And, with respect to the criminal vs. civil liability insurance coverages, they are currently included in a single insurance policy and, even if separated, it is questionable if WA or NY would approve them. You should reach out to the moderators @USCCA to see if any thought has been given to the option of just purchasing the training segment without the insurance product until these issues can be resolved.

2 Likes

Never more true words were spoken. I live in Franklin County, Illinois. Just 25 minutes away is Jackson County. Franklin is a farm county. Jackson, has a University. People in Franklin are normal. Jackson county, well, to be nice, let’s just say the cheese has slid off the cracker down there.

3 Likes

So true @45IPAC! the Mayor of Louisville has been trying to convince the state legislature that the preemption laws should not apply to Louisville. If he got his way, it would be Little Chicago South!

3 Likes

Here is something further to “chew on”… If House Bill 127 were to pass, gun owners would be required to have insurance. Since New York and Washington forbid insurance, every gun owner in those 2 states would immediately become a criminal. Did I miss something? Please do chime in if you read this situation any other way.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family @Brian380 and you are in the right place at the right time.

There would definitely be chaos with HB 127. With respect to federal law requiring insurance and states that will not approve insurance, maybe they would do an ACA type exchange and subsidize the insurance. The new BidenCare for firearms. But on a more realistic note, federal law should supersedes state law when they do not coordinate.

2 Likes

@MikeBKY

So what is the current situation for Washington state? I was told last summer (8/2020) you guys had something in the works that will be released soon by a representative on the phone.

Any update? I need coverage & only want to go with USCCA.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family @pdx.puddle and God bless you.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community @pdx.puddle! My understanding is that USCCA has been negotiating to be able to provide service in Washington and several other states. USCCA’s legal coverage is now an underwritten insurance policy although I do not know where Washington state stands in relation to that policy.
I would suggest you reach out to @USCCA for any additional information.

Please understand, I am a private attorney and part of the USCCA Attorney Network and a member of the Critical Response Team. I do not represent USCCA nor am I on staff with USCCA.

4 Likes

@Johnnyq60

Thank you! Christ is risen!

3 Likes

@MikeBKY

I appreciate it, I’ll give them a call this week.

2 Likes

Amen brother :+1::+1:

2 Likes

Sadly a large part of the problems involved come from local elections… and the Kaliforniasation of other states… over and over people leave that state due to the politicians they elected making thing untenable there… and move to a new state and immediately start voting in the same type of politician…

it boggles the mind… what is that saying…?

stupidity is doing the same thing over and over and getting the same result yet all the time they repeat it believing they will get something different this time and still getting the same result???

or something like that…

2 Likes

Washington state has two parts. The rainy side and the dry side. The democratic side and the republican side, the western side and the eastern side. The only part of the yahoos that ruin the state is the Seattle and Bellevue. Where all the techno freaks usually reside. Residency is sky rocketing. To rent a home starts at 2,000.00 a month. People wonder why there are so many homeless people around there. That is not even talking about the drug problems.
I can not even be a USCCA Member because I live in this state! Why do I live here? Because I have not found a place I can go yet! I am looking around Idaho, Montana, Nevada and Arizona.

3 Likes