US president Abraham Lincoln, lift every voice and sing, was a poem for Abraham Lincoln. America has two anthems, The national anthem and the stars stripes. I hope that answers your questions!

Continuing the discussion from Ebony and Ivory:

2 Likes

No because according to the Super Bowl the other night we apperantly have three of them

1 Like

Apparently the first one isn’t working.

WE will keep trying until WE get it right.

1 Like

The leader of the NAACP, J W Johnson, wrote a poem Lift Every Voice and Sing. To get it recognnized, his brother J R Johnson, put it to music. It was publicily performed at Staton School in Florida, where J W was principal. And of course the day performed was President Lincoln’s Birthday. From there, it became a rallying cry against racism in the 1950s and 1960s.

1 Like

Your title is false.

Lift Every Voice and Sing was written as a poem by NAACP leader James Weldon Johnson (1871-1938) and then converted into a song by his brother, John Rosamond Johnson (1873-1954) in 1899. It was performed for the first time in Jacksonville, Florida by 500 school children in celebration of President Abraham Lincoln’s birthday on February 12, 1900. The song was then adopted by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) in 1919 as its official “Black National Anthem”.

https://sites.smith.edu/afr111-f19/lift-every-voice-and-sing/

Interesting fact is these songs would not exist if white supremacy wasn’t a thing.
Hs bc u ( historically black colleges and universities)
Exist because the would not let blacks in
Civil rights ( would not have been a thing if blacks weren’t fighting for , get this ! The right to be treated in a civil manner ) which culminated in fair housing act which in the seventies gave blacks the right to fair housing and be free from discrimination in housing .
No more than fifty years ago. Basically when I was a kid we just got the right to live in certain neighborhoods .
NRA was instrumental in helping freed blacks defend themselves from the clan.
Lincoln. Was not an abolitionist by any means! He was a man of his time and did not care for blacks
He was not fond of them either , the move to outlaw slavery was a political move. Ironically he was killed by a racist, in John Wilkes booth who despised him more because of his own personal loss.
Redlining was a real practice , to this day companies are still getting fined over.
Micro aggressions are real it’s another word for slights one notorious one is “ very articulate “
Or the flip he”sounds white “
CRT is only being taught In kindergarten classes with students who have an accurate grasp of fundamental legal arguments regarding race and gender as well as historical sentencing guidelines as well as broader legal and ethical considerations when it relates to biases in the criminal justice system , yeah of course I’m embellishing about kindergartners. Learning this
Lastly is the United States a racist country the short answer is no. Has there been historically racist sentiment in this country yes ! But racism on a whole in this country is a nuanced thing it’s not like you don’t know it’s there it just isn’t spoke of when you do your part to exist as a productive member of society. The more apt question would be is racism currently affecting you in your life right now ? Please explain , what could your country do to improve certain aspects of life being affected by racism. Then we can have a broader reflection on the history of this country without black history becoming a background character in the making of this great country. Happy birthday W.E.B. Dubois
And to Carter G Woodson For black history month. It used to only be a week long at this rate. In another hundred years we won’t need black history month because our accomplishments will be recognized as American history instead of just black history!

2 Likes

Here’s an interesting fact, guess how many people in this country actually owned slaves? ANSWER: 7% . And guess who those people were? Democrats.

4 Likes

All I am saying is what in the hell is happening to our history? OUR national anthem has always been sang at the Super Bowls, not talking about Abraham Lincoln or white supremacy or any of that crap , all that is is an escape to confuse the matter. Statues are being torn down and it’s not just civil war generals and stuff but for instance Christopher Columbus because some Whitney POS that uses his/her skin to make a living with instead of contributing to this nation. And the same ole bunch will be whining about the same same ole thing 500 years from now because their “ parent” is teaching them this crap that everyone owes you something, and they wonder why some people feel the way they do? They want us to feel like that because we are their pay check.

4 Likes

By saying someone shouldn’t do something that lifts their spirit because it doesn’t lift one’s own spirit is an act of selfishness. Just saying

2 Likes

It actually doesn’t because the poem is telling them to understand the struggles of their ancestors, have ambition to improve oneself and to strive and work to better themselves, not get something for nothing. That message is no different than any other person of any race. To make it a “black” issue is racist.

1 Like

That makes you jealous; Not them or me/us a racist. Incidentally, I include you in us.
If it is racist it is racist in a beautiful way.

The biggest help to curve racism, is to remove it from all forms!! Why do they need to know what race you are for a job, or college, any kind of application!!!

5 Likes

I think you are 100 % correct but where you are wrong is in the thinking the democrats from that time are the same as modern democrats they are as different as republicans oh wait they are republicans! I’m a republican I should know

Good question. I would like to add one also. Why would someone care what political party someone belongs to¿ I think I know It came to me today
Simple answer- pain

1 Like