Unwelcoming Establishments

Pretty accurate though.

1 Like

OK. Good to know. I hate it when I’m inaccurate.

1 Like

Me to. Not being sure and you have to be extra cautious leaning or bending.

1 Like

I figured I’d have to be cautious when leaning or bending with small of back carry.

1 Like

Oh absolutely. I feel comfortable with small of back with my SD40 VE and open carry is allowed in PA, but the bulk of the gun just doesn’t work in restricted places.

2 Likes

If the sign does note carry the power of law… what is the recourse in your state? Find out exactly what the business owner can do to you if you are found carrying in an establishment that prohibits guns. In some states remaining on premises after you have been asked to leave is a trespassing violation. The goal is to be safe and NOT cause problems. Maybe there is a gun-friendly business that wants your money.

5 Likes

Yes, I’ve actually checked on that when I was looking into state laws. Pennsylvania does NOT honor the signs as long as it’s not a federal building. All that can happen is they can call the police, they can come and ask you to leave. So it’s easier to just leave if asked rather go through a completely unnecessary process.

4 Likes

Unless it is a government building, schools or bars, I carry any way. My biggest issue is that I ride a motorcycle all year long and it is my only vehicle. I cannot lock up a gun in the bike to go in those stores or restaurants that “prefer” that you don’t carry. And if they are that hardcore stupid against my right to carry and do not provide me a locker to store my weapon, I do not do business with them (I saw a store with a metal detector that I first thought was an anti theft device until I walked in and they told me I could not carry a gun in their store). Besides, unless a place is mandated by law as “gun free”, all that they can do is ask you to leave, which I gladly do and then blast the heck out of them on Yelp!

2 Likes

I agree with that 110%.

1 Like

@PGRSteve I carry on our motorcycle as well. It’s a challenge to say least when we’re out and about on the bike because I’m not going to lock my gun in my bike if the establishment is a gun-free zone. I will wait by the bike if someone from the group has to run into the store so that I don’t have to remove my gun and leave it unattended.

5 Likes

That’s a good way to do it. It frustrates me that a country that’s prided on their rights and liberty, are so anxious to strip one of our most valued rights. To me it seems they want a country controlled by ONLY the government. We have to obtain permission to travel, yet we have the freedom to travel the roads and high ways, we need permission to vote, to repair or remodel our homes and to keep arms to protect ourselves and our loved ones. I don’t think our voices are loud enough for them to hear. :pensive:

1 Like

I have friends who put mobile gun safes in their saddle bags. I don’t trust that at all where I live. I do wish that places like courthouses, county clerk offices and other establishments could make individual safe/lockers available for the times that you do have to visit (renewing license plates, concealed licenses). I know that isn’t going to happen but it would save a lot of people undue hardship just because they carry.

1 Like

That’s one part of Pennsylvania I like. If for some reason we have to visit a courthouse we can have our firearms locked in a safe, in which you keep the key with you.

2 Likes

@PGRSteve - the safe in the saddlebag is an interesting idea, however the saddlebags are detachable and I’d hate for the saddlebag to be stolen with the gun safe in it.

3 Likes

Yeah, that definitely poses a problem.

1 Like

I have a really good question. State law in Oregon says that state police do not enforce no weapons allowed signs but yet in the county where I live it says private businesses prohibit firearms and you cannot carry firearms there. So my question is what happens then if you are caught carrying? Does county law take precident over state law? I won’t carry in one just for the fact that I can respect company policies but yet at the same I don’t want to be a helpless victim in case a crazed gunman walks in and just starts shooting people. What’s a guy to do?

3 Likes

State law overrules county. At least in Pa. Private property though, if it states no weapons you have to respect the owners wishes. Where I live you can’t sit in front with your firearm but they won’t stop you from owning one. So as long as I’m not hanging out in front of the building just flashing it around it’s fine.

2 Likes

I carry every place I go. If the business has a sign we don’t have to listen to the sign unless it’s private or federal property. I refuse to be the victim when I have the ability to do my best to the help.

3 Likes

I was gonna say how would they even know if someone is carrying a gun if it is concealed? Its not like somebody is just gonna walk into a business and say yeah by the way I just wanted to let everybody know I am packing. If I ever did carry into a business that said no weapons allowed I would avoid wearing any kind of NRA or pro 2nd amendment clothing because that just invites trouble.

3 Likes

It definitely does. We have a field and stream store I buy my ammo from. They have a firearm check in at the main door. You have to clear your magazine and chamber. It’s insane.

1 Like