Type 1 Diabetes and Carrying Question

My doctor just started me on an insulin pump. If there is anyone on here that wears an insulin pump, how do you carry? Keep in mind my pump is clipped to my belt.

5 Likes

My daughter has type 1 and has a pump. I know she is mindful of how she places her holster and how she routes the tubing, depending which holster and how she is carrying at the time (IWB/OWB). She prefers OWB with a cover garment most of the time, except when it is hot out. Hope this is helpful, I know it can be done successfully with the proper attention to placement. Good luck.

4 Likes

Tubing does play a factor in placement of holster. I use a continuous glucose monitor as well. I’ve been experimenting, Appendix isnt going to work for sure.

2 Likes

Just about any method of CC will work if you are willing to work on it. My buddy, a super well trained Federal Agent (special ops guy), showed me his draw from an ankle rig, a method of carrying most “experts” scoff at, and it was scary fast. But he’s practiced enough to make it flawless and SMOOTH!!!

My answer to your type question is how badly do you want to carry your gun. If it’s badly enough then there are a LOT of ways. SOB holsters, shoulder rigs, ankle rigs, a murse (man purse), waist packs, and pocket carry are all VERY viable if you put the time in to train yourself and dress accordingly.

2 Likes

I believe you can do it and carry comfortably. As long as you position your holster on the opposite side of your pump you will be fine. Try both ways IWB and OWB see which feels better for you. If you buy the proper belt that will help you considerably. Hope this post helps. Carry on. :+1::+1:

1 Like

BTW speaking of getting creative with carry options. This Kidex beauty allows me to pocket carry a Glock 43x. With the Shield Arms mag that is 15+1 rounds of 9mm in a very tidy and light (25oz fully loaded) package. Protects the trigger guard so no ADs and the hook shape makes it stay when I draw. Cost me a whole $15 on eBay.

1 Like

I have my pump in my pocket on the same side I carry on. I thread the tubing under my belt and tuck it tightly in my pants which gets the tubing out of the way and carry about the 4:00 or 5:00 position with no issues.

3 Likes

I’m not a T1D, but my daughter is. She’s 12 years old and was diagnosed when she was 4. She uses the OmniPod insulin pumps. They’re disposable, you put a new one on every 3 days, and they’re tubeless. She switches her site every new pump change, rotating from her hips to her arms. Might be worth looking into, depending how your insurance is, could make your conceal carry a little easier.

3 Likes

Welcome to the family @shanek1 and you are in the right place at the right time.

1 Like

Welcome to the team @shanek1!

2 Likes