Two guns while hunting?

And the law doesn’t say I have to carry the box. I just do it to cover all the bases. In So Illinois, thee is a problem with poaching. DNR officers will check any hunter they see. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve never had a rude DNR Officer, and the check takes just long enough to see my deer permit, and hunting license. The last time it happened, he told me he saw the deer I was tracking cross his path just up the road.

1 Like

The Courts have granted Wardens the broadest search and seizure powered of all LEO’s. I wouldn’t push it.

2 Likes

And if it doesn’t exactly match what’s on the box you are pretty well assured a citation, probably a trip to jail, and they’ll certainly be seizing both your gun and ammo.

This is not something you want to push.

I think the main reason for the broad powers is to assist in recovering game. If you have a wounded deer make it on to property you don’t have access to, the game warden can enter that property to assist in the recovery. I have not seen the DNR abuse their ability to enter private property. Unless it is something like a license check they probably have had an eye on you long before they approach.

1 Like