Trust but Verify: Function Checking Your Guns

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/trust-but-verify-function-checking-your-guns/

How many of us ascribe to this advice?

9 Likes

Every new acquisition is tested at point of sale with the salesperson, then on a range within 24 hours, if not right then and there at their range! If it doesn’t function they way it’s supposed to on the range, I don’t care about the sales guidelines, I return to fix any issues!

5 Likes

Yes, always. With one exception (kind of). I don’t have a prescribed function check I do with every firearm I own. Every firearm I have (Ruger, S&W, Sig) explains the proper functions check in their manual, and that’s what I follow for each. They’re slightly different.

Exceptions: My rifles were used and didn’t come with manuals, but I was able to find the military manuals for them, and I followed those. My -15 I didn’t bother looking up because I can tear it down and put it back together blindfolded with a drill sergeant screaming in my ear, but in retrospect I should have read the manual first.

6 Likes

Great thread. I like to take things apart and see how they work. When I acquire a new gun I always take it apart to clean all the machining oil and packing oil off. I usually inspect it to see how it works. Put a small amount of grease or oil and put them back together. My hand guns don’t have manual safeties but I pull the slide back a little to make sure the firing pin blocks safety works and if I think of it I will check the trigger safety. When ever I hand someone a gun or someone hands me a gun I always drop the mag and check the chamber. I learned the hard way to never hand someone a loaded gun so if you want to shoot you have to know how to do it yourself. I know the four safety rules and make sure someone else knows them before handing them a gun.

5 Likes

Every new firearm I ahev taken home, gone through the manual, field stripped, performed a basic cleaning on, re-assembled, tested all the basics, and only then take it to the range for live fire testing.
I never thought to drop a pencil down the barrel though :wink:

6 Likes

Is that before or after you have read the manual and performed a function check?

2 Likes

I hate manuals… for me these are not clear enough… but that’s me :wink:
Anyway, every handgun works the same way, no magic here.

My every new purchase goes through the same procedure - complete disassembly and 1 hr submergence in isopropyl. Then function check and test fire.
If I’m going to trust my firearm, I have to be sure it is clean from manufacturer’s grease, fitted properly and functions as expected.

3 Likes

I skim the manual first to see if there is anything other than typical and then consult it later if I have a specific question.

5 Likes

If I’m not familiar with the breakdown of the firearm I will read thru the manual. I’ll do a quick clean up and lube prior to shooting it. I’m amazed that some manuals don’t list the fact that there guns are not +P rated. Ie: Springfield Hellcat. I’m sure people have put +P ammunition thru them without issue but when I called Springfield about it they said it wasn’t, and could cause cycling problems. An additional note here is I check my carry ammo for irregularities and not properly seated primers.

5 Likes

I do function checks after cleanings and any meaningful maintenance that could effect function. I will consult the manual when it is new but not much after that.

6 Likes

I have read the manuals on my Ruger’s because I did not deal with them throughout my career in ownership of firearms. But when it comes to my M&Ps and my only Glock in my collection I read the manuals once long ago and they function all the same. I definitely function checked my Rugers when I purchased them for the first time and read the manuals. It doesn’t hurt to go through the manual because it just refreshes your memory.

5 Likes

I always verify then trust. Disassemble, wipe down and lube the new firearm, per the manual. Then function test before taking it to the range. Fire a bunch of practice rounds and at least 100 of my chosen self defense rounds. If it does all that without a single hiccup then I feel confident that it is good to go.

5 Likes

I do , I rack, unload, check ammo and for fuzz in the barrel. Reload and ready for business, Dont for get a drop of oil once in a while :us:

3 Likes