Training the next generation

@AAlan no they r couch tators and oblivious to the world around them. They r my step kiddos. And think nothing will happen to them. I dont wanna force them but want them aware they need to be able to defend themselves if need be. With my daughter I told her a restraining order is only a piece of paper it wont protect you if a guy wants to harm you she shruggs her shoulders. Any ideas ?

I have a mix of kids and step kids too. Regardless of origin, some will listen, and some won’t. There are some passions parents have that don’t get passed to children. Some of our wisdom also won’t make it to them. Its a hard truth
 some things kids have to learn on their own. I can only pray for the safety an well being of my kids, regardless of which truths they have espoused. Teach them well, but don’t push them away. They need your love more than your passions and your worry.

@AAlan I would never push any my kids away I defend them all with my life, but dont want em sittn ducks after thier grown. I agree with ya they have to find their own passions just hope one of those can protect em. Thanks for responding . I appreciate it.

Maybe try going to a self-defense class with her? My kids and I did Tae Kwon Do together before I got into the carry lifestyle. They all shoot and know how to defend themselves now. When they hit 21, I’ll be encouraging them to get their carry license. They’ve all already asked me to teach them how to carry (I’m an instructor), and I’m more than happy to teach them the details.

My boys still get annoyed when I shoot better than they do :laughing:

1 Like

Haha @Dawn yea I out shoot my husband its funny my two older boys I raised around guns and shooting they both carry thank Ya Jesus. But these two wont go to anything accept icebox and bed. I offered to do anything with them they refuse. My husband wasnt the most progun at first either he was raised in cali. Been here the last 12 yrs we been married 7 , im a original okie never lived anywhere else kinda hickfied here mayberry . So he is slowly catching it im hoping the kids follow suit. Im praying its just slow process but will get there. I do take them to the range with us so they see a gun itself will not harm you and we teach safety all the time our range owner is a instructor he has offered to help but its a no go.

2 Likes

They won’t even go to the range if you compare it to an Xbox game, @Gunpassion? Tell them it will help them compete better in their online games. :laughing:

I dont allow game systems in our home. So I dont have much to go on there. Lol

1 Like

I allowed combat related games for my boys thinking they could gain valuable tactical knowledge that could help them in the military. Both my boys voiced a desire to become Rangers. I was just trying to give them a way to increase their survivabikuty of a war. They both have chosen college. One is currently a teacher. The other will be starting engineering next fall. My daughter wants to be a nurse.

2 Likes

Here’s an article Beth Alcazar did a couple of years ago about teaching kids. Thought it might be of interest:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/getting-kids-involved-shooting-sports/

1 Like

@Gunpassion what about a SIRT type laser pistol? it’s not going to have any of the scary risky associations that might be hanging them up. They’re fun, and really useful for your training even if it doesn’t work to get them engaged, so there’s nothing wasted in getting one.

1 Like

We have that for our training at home, we have snap caps we even bought training guns that is nothing but a big peice of blue plastic. Nope they just dont want nothing to do with em. When they was in public school I think they heard alot bad things about guns from the school and I say that because they r telln me stories they heard there, like guns dont have to be loaded to go off and kill someone or one student said his brother died from a empty gun. Some teachers were telln horror stories also. We explained to them about all this we even broke our guns down to show them how they work they wont even look at it broke down so I showed em a picture on internet of a gun mechanism they wouldnt have it. But if I would allow it in my home they would shoot zombies on playstation. I just dont allow vieo games in my home.

1 Like

At what point do these far-fetched stories become so obviously wrong that people just don’t believe them?

I was reading a book (You are a Badass) - amazing book BTW - about why we think the way we do. Our parents told us a fat guy in a red suit would come down the chimney and give us gifts if we were good
 The fact that we believe that when we’re young - and that’s sometimes when people tell children how bad guns are - makes it plausible that people would believe the far-fetched stories.

I may have missed it, but how old are the two who don’t like guns, @Gunpassion?

2 Likes

@Dawn they are 14 & 15,

1 Like

When mine were that age, they begged to go to the Range! Keeping my fingers crossed for you @Gunpassion!

These are my two stepkids, I came into their life when they was 7&8 so they had pretty much already had a outlook on life and it wasnt good their mother was horrible, these two lived in their bedrooms to occupy themselves . Ive had my work cut out for me gettn them active. And im old by golly this ole 51 yr old fat lady cant do it anymore. Lol

1 Like

I was asked recently to help kids for the SASP (scholastic action shooting program). I went tonight for the first time and it felt good. The kids ranged from 9 to 19 and were all very polite and very very talented. No attitudes or false bravado. Just fun and some serious talent. One of the kids just got an ammo sponsorship. Crazy.

2 Likes