Traffic stop while carrying with anti-2A guest in car

Absolutely! Great friends and have been supportive of me and my family. However, these friends have different opinions about handguns and 2A rights. I rather not debate with them on my stance.

3 Likes

Just some food for thought. We can never win people like that over to our side of the argument without at least letting them know that good people like ourselves are lawfully carrying as a part of our daily lives or that we at least own and shoot regularly.

You can respect them and their property rights while still offering to educate them on the Pro 2nd Amendment and Pro Carry sides of the issue.

People will never change their minds on any issue unless they are first given a reason to question those positions.

You don’t have to be “in your face” about it, you don’t have to be pushy at all but if they are like most anti gun people at least close to 100% of their exposure to and understanding of guns and those who own them has probably been negative.

2 Likes

In my state we have no duty to inform but I do. I don’t want an inexperienced officer overreacting. As to the anti-2A person, unless I’m married to one, that’s a friendship that needs reevaluating…

4 Likes

Call me crazy but I still like to presume people are reasonable and can be persuaded with facts until they prove otherwise so I keep trying.

1 Like

If someone is in my car and they got upset after finding out I am legally carrying a firearm, I would very politely ask them if they needed to use my phone to arrange another ride.

6 Likes

@DBrogue if that ever happens, I"m going with your answer.

2 Likes

If they are in my vehicle, they already know me well enough to know I’m armed.

2 Likes

I too have a few quite liberal friends that do not support my practice of my 2A rights. I am unapologetic about it though. Though I do not flaunt my weapons to them, I also do not hide from them except reasonable concealment.

When I’m in my pickup truck, for my comfort, I holster my gun below the steering wheel, and is quite visible to anyone like a passenger or LEO at my window. Should I ever be stopped by a LEO I would keep both hands on the wheel and declare my CCW permit and the firearm quickly even though my state does not require me to do so.

I remain convinced most LEOs would appreciate the courtesy. For the exceptions that is one reason I have insurance from USCCA.

2 Likes

Great post. Lots good feedback. Did they mention driving in separate vehicles? Personally, I try to ‘keep it on the down low’ among social cohorts (tight circle), not needing word to get out; Especially to reduce theft - if word got out. I guess love from a family or friend should be stronger than their 2A beliefs (I hope), but to each his/her own.

Feel ya, some family don’t hang with me as much once I got “foundt”. :frowning: USCCA mentors teaching me how to talk about it softly, to try to gain their understanding, i.e. invite em to the range, your treat (2A Whisperer).

1 Like

The bigger issue here, if the current bill is passed,

HR130 Titles - H.R.130 - 117th Congress(2021-2022): To require the safe storage of firearms and ammunition, and to require the investigation of reports of improper storage of firearms or ammunition. | Congress.gov | Library of Congress "

is that if your anti 2A passengers feel bent on harassment, they’d be able to red flag you because they know you have a firearm.

2 Likes

@John292. This is a valid concern. This is why I donot let my passengers know I am conceal carrying. If fact, my wife and daughter is not aware most of the time. On this note, with the house and senate dominated by democrats, if their is a 'confiscation, i suggest you don’t even let your neighbors in on the # of weapons you possess. I suspect neighbors will be directing ATF and others to you house. Just food for thought if it gets to that point.

2 Likes