Tough year so far - lost 2 in 2 weeks :(

Been a tough time for my family, lost my father in law two weeks ago , and my brother in law today.

My wife and I have spent a large portion of this year at her Dad’s side roughly a two hour drive from our house. He was a great man that grew up so deep in the Louisiana swamps you needed a pirogue to get there. He served this great country in the Air Force and became a successful businessman. He had a heart of gold and loved to arm wrestle. Oddly enough, he and I never arm wrestled - I don’t think either of us wanted to know …

Tonight, my brother in law, a retired Army Sergeant Major passed. It is with a heavy heart I am writing this. Much like @Craig6, he loved his 30-06. He didn’t like to talk about his time in service with many people, but I was one of the few he shared with. I knew his service weapon was a 1911. I told him just last year I was surprised he did not keep it. He said it was worn out, had run out of ammo too many times, and his service knife had saved his life, so he kept the knife. I can tell you this, his 30-06 put a lot of food on the table. I just talked to him on the phone yesterday …

They both had the greatest smiles, I am going to miss both of them terribly.

10 Likes

Sorry for your loss.

1 Like

So sorry to hear this and for your loss.

2 Likes

Nancy and I are sorry for your loss. Remember the good times, I am sure there are many.
Stay safe.

4 Likes

Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

3 Likes

I am honored that at your time of loss that I crossed your mind. Hold hard my friend,

Loss gives us the opportunity to reflect and bring the good time into a litlle more focus. Do not mourn your loss for their passing, celebrate the moments shared and memories made for they are what made up part of their life and make up part of your life.

Cheers,

Craig6

10 Likes

I am so sorry for your losses. May God bless you and your family with comfort .

4 Likes

Sorry for your loss. It’s always tough to lose a loved one, under any circumstances.

3 Likes

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of two great men, @Gary_H. You were blessed to have them in your life and I have no doubt they will be greatly missed by your family.

Our deepest sympathies to your family. Stay safe, Gary.

7 Likes

I am so sorry to hear of the loss to your family.
So often during times of emergencies we forget that life continues on for everyone else. Unfortunately we lose sight of the every day lives of each other, instead focusing on the current circumstances, and how events impact us personally.
May God bless you, and bring the comfort only He can.

4 Likes

@Gary_H - I am so sorry to hear of your losses. Know you are in my prayers.

3 Likes

I am sorry for your loss. You are a good son-in-law and brother-in-law, I’ll keep your family in my prayers.

2 Likes

Sorry for your loss, stay strong.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry for your loss. God bless and keep you in His love, and comfort you with the good memories.

2 Likes

Gary I am so sorry - 2 family members in such a short time is tough.

1 Like

Thank all of you for your prayers and support. :+1:

2 Likes

Sorry for your loss! God bless!

1 Like

Sorry about your losses but the advice to not mourn their deaths and to celebrate then being part of your life is wonderful advice. I was raised by my grandfather and when he passed, although it was awful, I told myself I would try to be the most amazing person I could be and do my best to touch as many lives as he did.

1 Like

So sorry sir. God bless you and their loved ones.

1 Like

So sorry for your loss.