Torture Tests

There’s lots of fun videos online where people put their guns through the “Gauntlet” or other tests. Do y’all find any merit in these tests?

(Also, they make me want to avoid buying used :joy:).

6 Likes

No, I do not pay much attention to Torture Tests as far as buying a gun. Some times it seems a shame to kill a perfectly good gun. :skull: Agree about buying used. LOL
I even stopped watching AK Operator 47-74, ridiculous tests. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

It depends on the torture test. Some of the stuff I’ve seen from reputable YouTube guys have helped me in deciding what products to use or not use. They are not my only source of information but if its applicable then why not use that information

6 Likes

I enjoy the gauntlet test stuff mainly for entertainment.

I do like the videos where they keep round counts and issues. TFB TV has quite a few vids like this. They have a video on M&P a and flicks that are used as range rentals and have the data for what’s been replaced and when. They also had a video on the p365 where they put 2,000 rounds through it without cleaning. I saw another video of a fire arms instructor putting thousands of rounds through a PX4 without maintenance. I think this content is a better representation for reliability than caking your gun in mud.

6 Likes

I like to watch the tests that are close to regular firearm usage.
No needs to dump it the mud, sand or keep hours under water… none of these are an environment we are shooting at.

The best and weirdest torture test I’ve ever seen was taken on Hi Point by DemolitionRanch:joy:

A_20201018_02

The handgun worked after it had been shot in the chamber :laughing: so it had to be a awesome firearm… :wink:

2 Likes

I remember watching that one :joy:. Say what you want about Hi-point, they shoot :man_shrugging:t2: (I don’t want one though :joy:)

2 Likes

He plugged the barrels with everything from gum, glue, concrete and solider. Shot them and had no problems with them, just shot the blockage out of the barrel. I thought that was crazy.

6 Likes

Now that’s entertainment. & a lifetime warranty

3 Likes

What the torture test and gauntlet do is prove the reliability of the firearm. It won’t sway me to buying a gun either. But after watching some of the videos I probably wouldn’t buy a used gun.

2 Likes

Hey Scoutbob, “torture tests” have merit if you’re looking to arm your military forces with firearms that can pass the test of combat/chaos. Short of that…it all seems completely unnecessary. Do I need to see how many times I can bend a spoon before it breaks to know that my spoon will work for me…no. Same for my firearms.

4 Likes

Torture tests, I like for the entertainment. For serious things, I will give some credence to running a brand new pistol, dry for function, with different Ammo. And, I do like to see when they have been simply dropped in mud, or sand. That is something that is in the realm of possibility. Now, dunked in a bucket of pond mud, umm, that’s far fetched for me.

3 Likes

Zero merit in these tests IMO. A waste of ammo that could be left on the market for legitimate training use. A real irritation with me as you can tell. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Hey have at it. If you want to destroy firearms, or push them to the limits, have fun. Yet, 99.9% of gun owners know that their life may depend on it. So… I think we take proper care.
Just saying😉
They are fun to watch once. Then all the same

1 Like

Used to own a Beretta M9. Enjoyed watching torture tests and reading test information. Amazing firearm. Well made. Never had any problems, thousands of rounds. So, I guess I appreciate torture tests, as long as done honestly.

1 Like

I think it’s important to know what is likely to make your gun stop working. Some of the torture tests on the internet are, frankly, stupid. I know that hacking off half the gun is going to break it, but will it work if I have to pull it in a dust storm?

I don’t have infinite funds, so I’m not going to run the tests myself. I just can’t afford to buy all that many guns.

2 Likes

I’ve watched a few here and there out of curiosity or more like boredom, but they have no impact on how I feel about a particular gun personally. As far as used goes, I’ve had good luck with the few I’ve bought. Seems like many are bought, shot very little and can sometimes be a really good deal.

2 Likes

Torture tests have their place. One of the reason I like firearms, ammo, accessories that are in use by LEO/MIL is I know that they have been tested in far worse conditions that I will ever realistically face, so I have full confidence that they will work when I need them to.

Torture tests are just an exaggerated form of that for equipment that may not ever be in LEO/MIL.

An example is one of the Holosun pistol red dots (I forget the model #). They have no chance at LEO/MIL contracts anytime soon. Aaron Cowen with Sage Dynamics did a couple tests on these including accelerated shooting (2000+ rounds as fast as possible), drop tests from various heights, racking it on all sorts of surfaces. It passed with flying colors. If you are looking at a solid pistol red dot, and you can’t afford a Trijicon RMR (the gold standard for pistol red dots) then you can feel pretty confident in the Holosun.

Now, its also important to consider that these torture tests are usually a sample size of one. And in the cases where the reviewer is sent the model for free they may be a cherry-picked sample (I prefer reviews from folks who buy their own).

Regardless of their real value… the entertainment value is pretty high :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Torture tests? If it’s a 1,000 round test without cleaning, maybe with a drop or two to the dirt or mud, Sure, I want to know how well the gun will work in tough situations, or after lots of practice rounds. The rest is just sort of silly fun, like, " hey yaall, watch this!" I hardly have enough time to watch the serious testing, let alone the fun stuff.

3 Likes

I found most of torture test scenarios far removed from reality. Unless you are a Somali pirate and want to pass your AK to your grandchildren along with tradition of never cleaning it.
A realistic question for a civilian, is a gun falling into water/sand/mud - will it perform after that, or after a day with no cleaning? Another question is about effects of salty (e.g., Florida) or dusty (Arizona) air for a long time, with regular maintenance. That kind of information is hard to find.

Word of mouth, Israelis like Glocks better than service issue Jerichos, unless its dusty. Then they like CZs.

1 Like

Back during my pre-gun owner days, I saw this video featuring arguably the most disparaged brand in the market today: Hi-Point.

Their 9mm handgun was put to the test. Mud, sand, etc.
It just continued to work. I wasn’t ready to spend top dollar for my first gun as I wasn’t really sure if the “lifestyle’s” for me.
When it was time for me to buy one, thankfully, I found out I needed a handgun safety certificate first. It gave me time to research the brand further :whew: dodged that bullet :wink:

1 Like