too old to learn/school

I am 73 and just got into off roading in a Jeep 3 years ago. I don’t care what your age is, go for it. Thankful to be a member of the USCCA. The people what work at the USCCA and members are the greatest bunch of people. Just go to an Expo and experience. Due to health reasons, I did not make it this year.

6 Likes

I would love to go to an expo,but never hear about them till it’s over, and plus I live in Cali…and that’s great (off roading).fun stuff…thanks for responding…carry be safe, and GOD BLESS…

2 Likes

Read Concealed Carry Magazine. They advertise starting the end of one Expo for the next. Where else will you find 15,000 responsible armed Americans and not one bit of trouble. At the Expo in Pittsburg, there was a lady checking in behind me who was by herself. I asked her to join me and we had a great time exploring everything and buying some things. You meet friends from all over.

Milton Hanauer

504-427-9220

miltonhanauer@gmail.com

3 Likes

If you really want to be a gun smith, have you reached out to anyone that currently does it? Ask around at the range you go to and see what people are having others do for them. A word of caution on that is you will get responses all over the place.

Since there is so much required to have your own business, maybe try to start as an apprentice to an existing one.

If you like cleaning guns and shooting them you could also look at working at a range.

3 Likes

Right on, yeah I meet alot of down to earth people at the range every time I go.all cool.not like the media play us as…ha I’m going to make it to the next expo in Cali. For sure I want to get some firearms I can work and practice on,learn a little bit.god bless

2 Likes

Yes I’m going to ask around… I didn’t know gunsmiths have apprentices. I was always told they don’t want show someone the trade… but I’m going to ask at the range I go too. All they can say is no. I’ve been wanting to ask, but I thought it would look dumb,idk. Ha…

2 Likes

I think it will depend on the individual. Some will be hesistant as they will see you as potential competition. It might take a bit but you will find at least one that cares more about making sure guns are done right and sharing their knowledge.

3 Likes

i hope so, thanks…

2 Likes

I don’t think that you will see an Expo in CA due to it not being 2A friendly. The Expo is usually held where you can carry your weapon concealed if you have a permit. I live in New Orleans and have traveled to Atlanta, Louisville, KY, and Pittsburg, PA for Expos. Hated to miss the last one.

Milton Hanauer

504-427-9220

miltonhanauer@gmail.com

2 Likes

@Robert1202 >> Look into becoming a instructor for continuing education. Most State licenses require continuing education in order to renew them, IE: electrical, plumbing etc. If you liked the construction field that’s the way to go. I retired 12 years ago and never looked back. It took me 42 years starting out in digging ditches and heavy construction and a engineering degree that I had to fight for dear life to get as it was required in order to get to the top of the park in my field ( electrical ). Now On and cold snowy or rainy day I look back and wonder how the hell I did it. Now on a cold snowy or Rainey day the hardest thing I have to do is push a button to start my snow blower, or push a speed dial button and have a Italian Stallion ( my Son ) do it for me. This information might not help you find work but I can tell you that in one blink of the eye like it or not your done. Try to enjoy your life and make what you have work.
GOOD LUCK IN LIFE
TRULY
BLACKY
PS: you’ll be done before you start.

6 Likes

@Robert1202 This seems like a good start. Good luck. :us:

The Business of Gunsmithing: A Practical Strategic Compendium Paperback – Large Print, May 4, 2019

by Mark R. Hollensen (Author)

Have you ever thought about becoming or learning to become a Gunsmith as your career choice? Do you know someone that is considering a career as a gunsmith? There are many people that have the skill sets and aptitude to take on the role of this mysterious career choice. But what does it, or will it entail exactly? The Author felt that this book would provide you with many of the answers to your questions about pursuing, and ultimately making, a career as a Gunsmith. This book covers nearly all of the essential strategic business elements associated with the job, as well as providing real life experiences, successes and setbacks. Contained within the pages are recommendations about getting a quality gunsmithing education and why that is so important, building an essential knowledge resource and information library, what you can expect when first starting out as a working gunsmith, managing shop finances, starting your own business as a gunsmith, shop safety and real world incidents that occurred (and how to avoid them), and fine-tuning your customer service skills. Essentially, the book covers your career choice from when it was just a thought or an idea, all the way up through owning your own business. The book was written very matter-of-fact and provides in-depth details of what you can expect when entering the field of gunsmithing as your career choice. For anyone contemplating a career as a professional full-time Gunsmith, are already a working gunsmith or a gun shop owner in the business, this book is a must-read as it describes what it takes to become a gunsmith, how best to get started in your career, and, for Gun Shop Owners - what a gunsmith working for them needs to effectively carry out his or her job.

3 Likes

Thanks for that info…

2 Likes

Right on thanks.and GOD BLESS YOU.and for sure thought I’d be doing what I was doing till I die… but God had other plans I guess.ha

2 Likes

I have CCW they actually allow it here.cost a pretty penny. Yeah I never here about any expos here…hopefull, haha

2 Likes

Right on Robert, I appreciate your interest. I spent many years driving wire, loved it too. Beat up as well, and that occupation is something I still do only using the experience and not the brawn. I gleaned something from your post…
Working with One’s hands… That is great. I have a gaggle of Granddaughters and when they visit I gather them up, along with my Son, and we Build stuff… Simple stuff of course when the little ones are involved, but regardless, build stuff. Larger projects with my Son.
The KEY, which I am sure you get where I am coming from. Is the reaction of the Material to the Tool…
and visa-versa… Proper Tool for the Job, Proper Material for the Application. Proper Procedure for best results.
You want to be a Gunsmith?.. You are most likely already a Gunsmith… Great Post Robert!

3 Likes

I will be 64 in May of 2022. I have 3 Ph.D’s (Math, Comp. Sci, Religious Studies - Counseling); an M.A. & M.S ( Seond. Ed., and Admin); 1 BS - Science with majors in Math, Comp.Sci., Econ., and Gen. Sci., I don’t know how many Assoc. or equivalent degrees; plus drawers full of certifications … I am a life long learner. I let one job pay for the next degree.
I was a cop in the inner-city of Chicago. I did U.S.Army Reserve duty for Desert Storm + the Fun in the Sun in South Centeral L.A. in the early 90’s. (It was there I picked up the 6 pins in my spine and full disability). And I am still not done.

So, I go slow, but I keep on going.

I took my Navy S.E.A.L. son to Gunsite in March of 2021. (I just barely outshot him too!)

This is not me bragging. This is me telling you that you can do anything you want to, if it is really important enough to you. I will give to you the advice that someone gave to me:

Do not let your age get in the way of your dreams nor your health. Find a good/great Teacher and get him to mentor you … Shadow him until you have learned all you can … do it for free if you have to, or pay him if you must.

There is so little time and oh so much fun to be had doing the things you love. We all grow by learning. We all learn by trying. And we all get interested when we hear about cool things to do. And all that comes from Hearing!!! Just think what your life can be like by doing?

There is always someone around to tell you that you cannot do, or its beyond your abilities, or why try? Why listen to them?

Find a teacher.

Stop talking and start listening, then start doing.

Everyone has potential, especially those who never tried.

So … you can tell me what you want to be with your words, and I will show you what I have become by my works.

It is never too late, until it is really too late.

Now go … Show us all what you can do! Go, and don’t look back.

Or not.

The choice really is yours.

Dr. Daniel R. Thomas

4 Likes

I agree with all 100 percent people @Daniel106 and thank you for your service brother.

Look into machinist courses that they will pay for. A lot of gunsmithing is machining.

2 Likes

Yes I been checking that out. Thanks

1 Like

i wish we had a metal shop at our high school back then. we just wood shop and auto shop… and those still are my hobbies, working on vehicles and building stuff out of wood and antique refinishing…

2 Likes