To sweep or not to sweep?

Unless a loved one is in my home and I need to get to them, I will not sweep my home. I’ll keep my tactical advantage covering the hall and not exposing myself to an intruder.

What are your thoughts about sweeping your home? (not this type of sweeping :broom:)

3 Likes
Protecting your home

I’ve cleared rooms in a combat zone, and unless my family was in danger I would not do it again. I’d play defense and get a good line of sight in a fatal funnel and wait, and call the police.

5 Likes

I was wondering what the veterans in the Community would say, @James!

3 Likes

I could be evil and say I’d leave the sweeping to the wife, but if anyone is going to be doing it I’d much rather take the chance of getting hit rather than her.

3 Likes

Clearing rooms in a combat zone/area for me is not the same as clearing your own home. 1) in a combat zone/area its simple enemy is the enemy, 2) rules of engagement applies at different instances. 3) you have entered somebody else’s place of residence and are not familiar with the layout. In your own home you have an advantage because 1) you as the homeowner know the layout. 2) you understand where your family is at. 3) rules of engagement becomes different as you know have innocent bystanders (family). When my family is not at home I do practice day and night with and without a flashlight using variety of methods. By no means will I ever apply a weapons mounted flashlight to my firearms (personal preference). As this allows you to point a loaded firearm at somebody that may not be a threat.

1 Like

I’m no vet but the way I see a home invasion situation is to take a defensive position unless the threat is on the move. These situations are static. I think we get into the conception that our targets are going to be stationary (at least in my experience).

2 Likes

Just enough to secure my wife and son, then take a defensive position. At that point, 2 of the 3 of us would be armed, and 911 on the phone.

3 Likes

As a firearms instructor and veteran, I instruct my students to avoid sweeping their homes, because doing so might put them into a shooting situation that they could have avoided - a fact that a prosecutor would pounce on. Get out, get safe, call the police, and stay out of jail.

4 Likes

Once the family is safe then it’s all defense. However to get from my bedroom to my kids I’m crossing the house so as mentioned before I’ve practiced clearing and finding my angles that a miss is not going towards the kids. Obviously the best option is having as many deterrents as possible to avoid someone making entry.

2 Likes

Nope, nope and nope. Unless I have to get to a loved one, I’m taking up a stationary position.

2 Likes

No sweep here. The master bedroom is “Helms Deep”, we don’t have any hallways and all the bedrooms are up stairs. We’d bunker in keep 911 on the line and sit tight for at least 30 min as that’s our Sheriff’s response time if one is not on our side of town.

So long as the power is on I have cameras inside as well on the first floor that have night vision and audio.

It would literally be the “Battle of Helms Deep” for anyone charging up the stairs, or trying to get past the barricaded double doors.

We have a sliding door from the master that leads out to the patio deck which is on top of the garage, that’s our “Alamo”. There’s no access from the ground level but if we’d have to fall back we’d have defensive cover.

2 Likes

My favorite part of reading these responses is that the layout of each house is unique and each family dynamic is unique. There really isnt a wrong answer. What works for one won’t work for another but you may be able to take pieces of multiple plans and tweak and improve your own.

3 Likes

@KenM have you considered having a fire escape ladder in your patio roof? You can get ones that are rungs on chain or rope, designed to be bundled into a trunk or bench seat-box and deployed out an apartment window. Something like that could be adapted for deployment off your roof. Then you’d have an escape from your Alamo if you needed it but it couldn’t be used to gain access to your roof from the ground.

2 Likes

I have actually, I do have 100ft of climbing rope out there in a storage tool box. I did have one of my ladders out there.

2 Likes

The plan is that my Mastiff/Dane mix will make the subject a mute point. Hopefully the problem will be pinpointed, if not solved, by the time of my involvement.

2 Likes

Nope. Unless someone in my very small home is unable to get to the safe area (unlikely), my offense is a solid defense. Self-defense is NOT stuff-defense. They can have whatever stuff they want. Everything but the lives of my family is replaceable. I am an old War Dog and former Federal LEO who teaches defensive pistol shooting and concealed carry in my state. I will stay put and call in the Sheep Dogs; as will my students (if they paid attention in class). Having cleared rooms in the real world, I am not going looking for trouble. Anyone who breaches the safe area will not leave my domicile on two feet.

4 Likes

Thank you for your service and welcome TeamRichards! Glad to have you here!

I completely agree self-defense, not stuffed defence.

2 Likes

The only issue I will have in my home is the position if my two possible entry points and where my kids are. My wife and I have discussed this heavily and it’s always a factor in our safety measures.

3 Likes