To call or not to call

Thank You

2 Likes

To Scott52, thanks for the dialogue and I was a Data Systems Tech on the USS Virginia.
To all the people that welcomed me to the boards - Thank You. I tried to comment to each of you but the system saw it as spam.

Thanks For The Welcome

3 Likes

Welcome… and do not forget, Klinger made a Spam Ham.

Err, probably before your time.

3 Likes

Our dog is named Klinger, his brother was Radar… so :wink: lol

3 Likes

Call 911? Definitely.

Get involved? Tough call. Domestic disputes are a very difficult situation even for law enforcement, not only for the danger but the possibility of the female victim actually taking the side of the attacker… then guess who looks like the bad guy?

If you are not law enforcement, it’s not your job to get involved. However, it wouldn’t be wrong to act if you actually saw a very serious physical assault in progress.

Real-life Example: An off-duty security officer witnessed a woman being severely beaten in a car by a much larger male. He had his girlfriend call 911, drew his firearm, kept his distance, ordered the attacker out of the car, and held him at gunpoint until the police arrived.

The small woman thanked him and gave him a hug. Happy ending, but it doesn’t always happen that way.

Your situation wasn’t so obvious and had many unknowns.
Good call.

5 Likes

Welcome to the family and you are in the right place at the right time.

3 Likes

Knew a Deputy back in the 70s, off duty but responded to a domestic dispute. Knew the person involved, had gone to school with him, and the deputy still lost his life.

Domestic is not a non-violent call.

No matter Democrats want to send unarmed ‘counselors’ to domestic dispute calls.

Oh and as a note…
First, Welcome to the club… .second, that male may have been a police officer, who is attempting to stop a criminal. Getting involved is not always a good option.

5 Likes

@Richard281, Welcome to the community, train hard and stay safe. :smiley:

3 Likes

Welcome to the family! Glad you’re here @Richard281

3 Likes

I would have done the same, call police. If I was alert enough, record screaming if possible? Well done!

5 Likes

Absolutely made the correct decision. Fair bet to say your mother, sister, or daughter would say the same thing.

4 Likes

And there’s no room in our country for complacency!

3 Likes

I have to say your approach is a very good one. Letting ANYONE be aware you called police would be skin to committing suicide by an ugly & mean crowd!

I’ve joined the senior set myself after way too short a time. Someone changed all the calendars while I wasn’t looking. The last 20 years has slipped by as if it were a single summer vacation.

To err on the side of caution is so very important. If you act emotionally in a self defense situation, I will almost always work against you. I really believe a cool head will work for you much better than a hot head.

4 Likes

Get some hearing aids. Sooner the better I resisted for years. Foolish for sure.

4 Likes