To call or not to call

you did the right thing

6 Likes

Welcome aboard. Glad you’re here. This is a fantastic place to talk 2A without being castrated!

5 Likes

Breaking news, just now! Or News Alert, or just a simple update. Minor activity at the home , trash cans moved to curb and back, young woman seen, but not heard. Definitely not the same couple the lived there previously!

4 Likes

Welcome to the community,train hard and stay safe. from Michigan :smiley:

3 Likes

As a retired police officer I will say you absolutely did the right thing. I just think you hesitated a little too long.

5 Likes

When you hear what you described, 911 is the number and not calling is a big mistake that could have cost someone their life. Give yourself a pat on the back because you did the right thing and maybe saves someone’s life!! (from someone who was a cop, almost a lifetime ago!

6 Likes

Welcome to the family and god bless you, thank you for your service.

1 Like

@Gerald10.Welcome to the community, train hard and stay safe. from Michigan :smiley:

2 Likes

Possibly, but needed to be sure I heard what I heard and describe it best to the operator. In hindsight, I’m also thinking what am I doing meddling in someone’s business?
If I heard it again I would still call! It was unmistakable!
Appreciate your input, next call perhaps will be quicker. Although hearing is not as good as it used to be. Did she say, hooky, cookie or nookie? Don’t want to waste resources on cookies!
Welcome to our community @Gerald10 glad you’re on board. Professional input is always welcome!

3 Likes

I think you did exactly what you should have done. He could have been a stalker or an irate ex- whatever. Obviously the person screaming felt the need to be so loud and vocal which is in itself a sign of distress. Regardless of what happened once the police arrived, they arrived! The situation was now under the control of a trained professional and all parties, including yourself and family, could go back to life without wondering “what if”. I hope that my neighbors would take the time to do the same thing if someone in my house is screaming and sounding distressed.

5 Likes

Thank you on your response. I’m convinced the officer didn’t do well. Perhaps a back up officer could have detained Mr. Fork while another investigates the house. Nonetheless, Good Neighbor did the right thing. Any consequences are on the shoulders of the LE officer involved.

5 Likes

I would have called the first time I heard screams like that. Better safe than sorry.

3 Likes

You did the right thing but it really helps if you give your name and number. By reporting as an anonymous caller, it seems to limit the degree of seriousness for your call. I’m impressed that it only took the police two minutes to respond to your call. Perhaps the screams were just someone playing a Little Richard CD!

3 Likes

I guess it could have been Little Richard, but not on cd. I have B & W speakers and I can’t reproduce sound like what I heard.
Wife had similar theory, could have been cats mating. Don’t look that up. Can’t say I didn’t warn you!

2 Likes

Knowing that I am not the police, if in that situation, I would have done precisely what you did and would have no second thoughts. Getting involved in other’s business is extremely risky snd bot worth it.

3 Likes

Sorry for the delayed response, but I’m not on these forums very often. You did the right thing. I would have called 911 in that situation. Might have gone to the door since response by authorities tends to take longer where I live. I can tell you that all, or almost all 911 calls are recorded, including the number calling. Blocking caller ID doesn’t work in this case. Your desire to remain anonymous may have played a part in not being contacted after the response. In defense of the responding officer, we don’t know what he saw or heard. Maybe the sound of a movie or tv show he was familiar with? If it was a loud tv program the resident(s) may not have heard knocking at the door. There are a number of possibilities, but it seems odd for him to leave without contacting anyone in the home, at least to ask them to turn down the tv if that’s what it was. Most police agencies would also fill out a contact report on the driver and vehicle at the end of the driveway in case they needed to follow up. In this case, too much is still not known to us.

3 Likes

make the call i will make that call every time. i dont want anyone dead because i didnt call. being mad i can deal with

3 Likes

Made the right call. Worst case, you have an embarrassing conversation with your neighbor. Well, actually, worst case is no call and she ends up hurt or dead.

4 Likes

You definitely did the right thing! I want to know why PD didn’t go in the house to see if everyone… the woman at the very least… was ok. That’s the only thing I wonder about. But…as said earlier… you did the right thing.

3 Likes

Ever hear of the good Samaritan? In this instance that is you my friend. Kudos!

3 Likes