To build or not to build

@Vince763 It’s no secret that I am a build it not buy it guy. I don’t think I have ever bought a “factory” AR platform. You can have a complete build kit for ~$500 a lower for ~$100. Prices are up a bit now, in January you could have had a complete platform for under $500. Putting it together yourself takes less than an hour from box to bang. An assembled upper will remove the need for any significant tools ie: vice blocks and barrel wrench. Check out Outdoorsportsusa.com for some kits in carbine or pistol.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

Those look nice, and well-made. I also like that they are ambidextrous, even the cheek plates. Bigger issue, find that in stock anywhere.

2 Likes

@Dave17 Thank you. They work well for me. Kinda of hard to find ambi in a factory build. Not for $1500.

1 Like

Thank you all for your feedback and advice. I appreciate all your comments.

2 Likes

Let us know which way you go, and if you do decide to build/assemble we’d like to hear about the process for you. It may help others in the future who are in a similar position.

2 Likes

I used the link below to assemble my first AR lower. I also attached the AR upper link in case you decide to build:

My lower build was a little different from the link because I used an Aero Precision M4E1 that has the trigger guard integrated into the casting as well as threaded vs. roll pin for the bolt catch and threaded features to hold take-down pin springs in place:

I bought a blemished one for ~$50.00, but looks like they have gone up in price since then.

2 Likes

I find you will need to invest in a good barrel and bolt carrier group everything else is all equal and your preference 1500 is an awesome amount to start with I am currently looking to upgrade the uppers on my three guns. It will probably cost 700 or 800

1 Like

All of my AR type weapons are built from the ground up with 80% lowers, I have the jig and plunge router for the milling and the drill press for the holes,I also buy the lowers bare and do the coating and baking,and in my opinion what better way to get to know from the ground up.I have a 223 16" heavy Barrel 1x8,A 223 20"1x8 heavy barrel,A 16" 308 heavy barrel 1x10,a 22" 308 with Heavy barrel with 1x10, and a 16" 45, and a 16" 9mm rifles,and all were put together with 80% AR lowers from the ground up.When you build a weapon you get to really know your weapon.I dont go with any particular brand,I just search the net to for the best price and quality,and so for it works for me and will continue to build and not pay homage to the PTB.All my weapons accessories are for functionality,not to look bad or cool but for the job to be done for them.All my rifles have Day/Night thermal scopes with Automatic range finders with one shot zero,so i am ready for what ever comes down the pike,I also reload all my ammo with a RCBS 5 station Pro2000 Press and a rcbs all in one brass electric Prep Station.

2 Likes

Johnnyq60 had the best answer. But if you are considering building one still, how about this. Spend maybe $20ish on a good AR15 build book and take a look at what it takes to build an AR. Granted, its not hard at all, but that way you will have an idea of what you need to do, the time investment, and, most importantly, the tools you will be required to buy. That way you have an idea what you are getting into before you just jump in and start acquiring parts.

1 Like

Thanks for the uplifting there brother

1 Like