Threat assessment when entering a public area

My hubby drags me all the time and I always have my gun. Our movies serve alcohol too but it is not considered a bar so I am Okay. But then this happened in my state :

Our stand your ground law doesn’t matter if the other person has a weapon or not. And doesn’t appear to matter if you are at a bar or not! But he may have been constitutional carrying.

2 Likes

@TWeinzerl I read the article. :flushed:

2 Likes

So then you know what’s gonna happen if you try to break my fingers :rofl: Or if you even look at me sideways! Back in the good old days we just brushed it off. I don’t even think they pressed charges for the innocent bystander that got shot. They have a new PA that is very liberal and would probably give you life in prison for pulling a gun. Good thing he doesn’t believe in the death penalty. Another reason I won’t step foot in that county.

2 Likes

That sounds like a big mess. Between what the witnesses were saying to the police letting the guy go there is the truth. Weird.

2 Likes

Update on this case
https://www.kmov.com/news/plea-deal-reached-in-shooting-at-florissant-show-me-s/article_a4f862c8-5ca9-11e9-93f3-cfee7dda84dc.html

1 Like

What would look out of place here? Pretty much, that would be me. Malls, sports arenas, concerts, movie theaters… can’t do any of them.
The most crowded place I go is the grocery store or the tiny little county fairs.

Going to add that to my strategy kit. It’s one if those unspoken rules that may hold force when the adrenaline hits unless you’ve worked it through in advance.

3 Likes

Be aware of your close surroundings and locate exits ahead of the event getting underway. Discuss with everyone in your “small group”

1 Like

The walk ways the aisle of the convention

1 Like

HOW BOUT 'EM!!! :cowboy_hat_face::football:

THIS! My wife thought I had turned paranoid after I came back from a few deployments. For a while I was beginning to think she was right. I would get skittish, uncomfortable and would develop a headache if in a crowded environment for too long, I’d also be code orange the whole time so my threat assessment was in overdrive. I pretty much stopped going out, going to the mall or big stores and if for some reason I had to I did “Assault Shopping”, get in, find it, pay for it, get out. I didn’t realize how avoidant I had become until…

I had to take a course to become certified to do audio-grams and finally discovered why. I have had ringing in my ears (Tinnitus) since the Gulf War and while annoying I thought it wasn’t that big a deal. While taking the class it discussed the physiological (knew 90% of that already) and PSYCHOLOGICAL effects of high frequency hearing loss (HFHL), Of course we had to do audi-grams on each other. When it was my turn to get read my partner thought the machine was broken and called over the PhD instructor.

She ran me through the paces and then switched me to another machine that went up to 110db. That was when she finally found my hearing profile, I had the classic HFHL hearing profile a big “Check” mark. In the 6000 Hz band it took 105dB to hear the tone in my left ear and 95 dB in my right. So according to OSHA, I need double hearing protection to protect me from myself :crazy_face: She said I had one of the worst “Profound HFHL’s” that she had ever seen and was VERY surprised that I was “functional” and that she didn’t even pick up that I was THAT hard of hearing.

The psychological effects hit me about that time and things started making sense. Withdrawing from crowded situations, social situations in general, TV too loud, “I’m sorry what?” was the most common statement I made on a daily basis. Difficulty concentrating in areas with high ambient noise (restaurant’s: especially ones with high ceilings) agitation, headaches and in general an ill at ease feeling. I love sushi and Japanese Steak Houses in general but realized why I never went alone to one, because I could never hear the waitress (High pitched whispery Asian female voice’s). The worst part was when she told me that hearing aids could not help me :sob: (2002 ish)

Fast forward to 2015, I almost drove off the road when the AM radio guy I listen to in the morning was talking about his hearing aids as an add spot said “I don’t have the ringing in my ears anymore.” I was in Healthy Hearing Now (the place the add spot was referring to) the next day. Best $6K I ever spent.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: If you have ringing in your ears GO get them checked. I’m not suggesting you jump straight to a place that will sell you stuff. Get a consult from your MD to have your hearing evaluated by an Audiologist. If between the two of them they determine you could benefit from hearing aids…

GO GET THEM!!!

Cheers,

Craig

1 Like

@Craig interesting stuff… my hubby came back from vietnam with some frequency-specific losses (right around the frequency of most women’s voices, oddly enough :thinking::laughing:) and ringing. I’ve been trying to talk him into hearing aids for about 20 years without success. DEFINITELY sharing your post with him.

For me, the problem is partly also hearing, but not hearing loss. I have an auditory processing defect - the problem isn’t in my ears, its in my brain. I don’t do complex sound or overlapping sound well at all, although I’ve gotten better at it over time.

The rest of the problem is too-many-people-phobia. Generally, if I can’t make a quick exit to open green spaces, I’m not comfortable. The more likely it is that a large number of pushing, shoving people could get between me and wide-open-green, the more uncomfortable I am.

I’m going to observe and see if the auditory issue is a factor in that. I hadn’t noticed that it is, but now I’ll check.

@Zee
Guys are hard headed when it come to medical stuff, just a fact. I’ve been in medicine for 30 years and I HATE going to a MD.

If you have a neural audio issue get a consult to an audiologist and take your hubby with you. For those of us with combat experience (or just a lot of range/industrial time) loose our 6000Hz hearing which fortunately allows us to hear Bubba the biker but not Misako the sushi waitress, or for that matter the “wife” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. When my kids they were younger would ask me questions while standing behind me. I wouldn’t respond, they would go to Mom and say “Dad’s mad at me, he didn’t answer my question.” The wife would say, “Did you stand in front of him, was he looking at you when you asked?” Talk about a kick in the gut :flushed:

When I got my hearing aids I had a lot of my co-workers ask me why I needed them. I finally found a way to demonstrate what I live with. If got to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyZhQj0k7-s it is a an audio file of a tone. Turn it up until you can hear it, then turn it down until you just can’t hear it. It will drive anyone with “Regular Hearing” insane in short order. In your case turn it up until Hubby can hear it and try to have a conversation with him. :smiling_imp:

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

With good reason, Doctors can kill you and get away with it!
(I am only half joking)

2 Likes