Thoughts on Speer plastic training ammo?

I recently came across Speer plastic training ammo, and was wondering if anyone has had any experience using it? It looks to me like they would be most effective in a revolver, due to not needing to manually cycle in a new round… Also, on the Speer product page, it says to use CCI Large Magnum Pistol Primers, but would other brands (Federal…) work?
Case: https://www.speer.com/bullets/plastic_training_bullet_cases/19-8515.html
Bullet: https://www.speer.com/bullets/plastic_training_bullets/19-8510.html

2 Likes

There have been similar devices offered over the years for “gallery shooting”. I’ve played with several variations and they range from acceptable accuracy to complete crap. The Speer ones are OK. In my younger bachelor days I rented a house surrounded by farms and my roommate was a prior NYC Detective with a Colt 38 Detective Special he would come home and change out his carry rounds for the above and shoot the mice as they would run across the floor when the fields were getting cut. My Ruger MK2 .22 was too hard on the base boards :flushed: :roll_eyes:

While it might seem to be a good idea finding ANY reloading components and tools now is tough but you may find some large Mag CCI’s in a Mom & Pop shop. CCI’s are notoriously HOT primers with Fed GMM Primers being the most consistent “Mid” range primer. Winchester ranks right under CCI as far a “HOT” goes all else are mid to low range.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

@Craig6, yeah, I’d imagine the base boards wouldn’t appreciate that… :grinning: Thanks for your thoughts! I have no reloading experience whatsoever. So, for the primers, as long as I got large mags, there would be no difference between Federal, CCI, Winchester, etc. other than velocity (they would all still fit/work in the plastic case…)?

1 Like

Still learning

1 Like

Welcome to the family brother and god bless you. BTW you will learn a lot here, welcome aboard.

If you can find large mag primers they will serve you well CCI’s are jut hotter than all the others and will give you more velocity. As I recall you just push the rubber/plastic case down on the primer and it seats, after firing you push it out with a nail or pin punch or similar. My roommate used real cases because he had thousands and they worked.

FWIW Large Rifle and Large Rifle Magnum primers are the same size as Large Pistol Primers, I would A$$uME that they would make the plastic “boolit” fly REAL fast or mebby not.

I will warn you that the smell of fired primers is what you smell at the range and it lingers. While not loud I’d wear ears. I am very protective of what’s left of my hearing.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Great, thank you, @Craig6! I appreciate it!

1 Like