This changes things a little bit - Is it Real

So they look real but they aren’t. What do you do?

4 Likes

Sounds like a botched hit. Ask for an I.D. D.C. has so many different LEAs it would be tough to know them all.
:thinking:

4 Likes

The first thing I would do is look (through window and/or cameras) for marked LE vehicles parked outside. If I don’t see what is obviously a marked recognizable to me local PD vehicle or three, I am definitely calling 911 immediately to verify validity of whomever it is

6 Likes

Look, verify, and if your still not sure call. Keep the door closed. It would be very unlikely that one officer would be there to serve a warrant, especially D.C.

4 Likes

The same general rule applies to anybody who wants you to open the door of course. They claim to be UPS…is there a brown commercial delivery truck out there?

4 Likes

It’s incidents like this that really gives me the creeps.

We are not supposed to engage LEOs with our firearms, but this activity definitely puts one in a strange position. What was this? What do we know? What could have been done to challenge this situation? What lessons can we learn from it? When someone impersonates LE with full display of accoutrements, regalia, and equipment, and engages in like activity, what does the parent, responsible adult, or responsibly armed citizen do?

See, feelings on the sleeves right now…

5 Likes

I’m gonna add this. If we have had any training, we have some idea of how a trained firearm owner and, yes, even a LEO is supposed to act. So if a questionable individual claiming to be a cop starts acting in a way inconsistent with being a cop by shooting people who are not threatening him, it would seem that engaging that individual with a firearm at that point would be warranted.

If it’s my family or my friends and someone dressed as a cop starts shooting at them when they’ve literally done nothing wrong and the cop hasn’t spoken to them in arrest like terms, shooting back seems like a viable option.

3 Likes

My wife and I had that exact thing happen. She went to the door to answer it. Was a young woman with a U-Haul, parked in our driveway. Wasn’t wearing UPS anything. She said she had a package that needed to be signed for.

When my wife answered the door, the young woman turned and waved and a young man jumped down out of the back of the truck. When she turned and waved, I pulled my wife back into the house and rotated into the doorway with my .45 on. She jumped when she saw me and immediately left the door, the guy dropped the “package” in our driveway.

The “package” that needed to be signed for… Was full of packing peanuts and nothing else. Called the police and told them what happened. Made a thumb drive for them with all of the video from 3 different views.

8 Likes

Every day, scammers call millions of Americans claiming to be someone they are not in an attempt to extort or steal from vulnerable people. We’ve all received the robocalls from someone claiming to be from the Social Security administration investigating the use of our social security #. Or, the “Grandma scam” where someone claims to be a bailbondsman or lawyer working for a loved one who has been arrested and needs bail money. Or, someone with a heavy Indian accent claiming to be from Windows IT and that “they” can see the viruses coming out of your PC.

Just like the guy claiming to be a cop in the posted article, these folks are crooks. But unlike the guy claiming to be a cop, these crooks are rarely investigated or prosecuted.

3 Likes