The wife got robbed in Costco parking lot

Glad she is ok, that could have been far worse than it was at many different levels.
Situational Awareness at all times. Always.
If your gun is not on your person it needs to be in a locked container cabled to a strong frame.
Your wife was very lucky, a solid lesson was learned at a minimal cost of money and time.
Sorry it happened, prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

6 Likes

I am glad she is ok. Unfortunately itā€™s something for everybody to think about and learn from. I have myself learn so much here.

5 Likes

Good idea. Let me add, take the keys with you. As a locksmith, I used to make a lot of money from people that locked their doors at the pump before I retired. BTW, I carried because of a couple fake callouts to get me into a remote location.

6 Likes

Thank you for your information. I know it happened to be a few months ago, but I desire to say, I sincerely hope everyone is is well and safe.

Thank you for all the valuable, necessary, and help that you shared in your post.

Thank you

4 Likes

I got in the habit of locking the doors with the key fob, not the button on the door. Locked myself out of the house, with the truck locked, running, with phone inside, while it was -30 outside and I was dressed for much warmer wearther (heading out on a business trip).

I park in a free area of the parking lot, no matter what time of day. If it is going to be dark, then under one of the lamps.

If there is a vehicle parked next to mine when I come back, depends. I am most certainly on much higher awareness. I have passed my vehicle before to circle back around too.

I taught my GF a lot of this stuff over the last 6 years, and she has done well. Avoided some situations as a result. Took me a long time to learn that being assertive and loud when being approached in an odd fashion is ok. Frequently here are approached at gas stations; talk about alarm bells!! Nope, not perfect at all.

5 Likes

Gotts love ya Fiz!!! Thanks for sharing!!! I am 64, grey haired bugger, gun toting, not in a walker, God fearing, dont wear a hoodie, always have ball cap, sneakers (call them my convention shoes), I guess i fall into no threat?

yes concealment means concealedā€¦with the way things are todayā€¦concealed means concealed!!!

5 Likes

Thank God they didnā€™t hurt your wife. They also could have taken the car with everything in it.

5 Likes

Getting gas?? I always keep all doors locked with the exception of the drivers door, my head is always on a swivel and my pitt bull is watching me fill my grand cherokee from the back seat, through the open window. Never relax, as a Marine machinegunner in 'Nam, am too old for this s_it!! Will be passing on soon enough. Watching Portland (especially and the others) I am really ashamed at what is happening to our country. Semper Fi all!

10 Likes

This can happen in any large parking lot, like WalMart or a mall. Sorry it happened to your wife.

5 Likes

RobertUSMCE240331
Iā€™m just guessing here, that you had nothing to do with what is happening to our country, I didnā€™t either. In fact we both SERVED our country, swearing to give our lives if necessary defending it. I am amazed at the blatant openness with which the Communists (democrats) have changed things. Where are all the Americans? The senators, congressmen who all swore to support and defend the Constitution of the United States just like you and I did when inducted?

As a member of the civilian militia of the United States, I am doing all I can to eliminate Communists from our government, federal, state and local. I know the Communists are extremely desperate. Nothing they have been doing since My President was elected has had any effect on His ability to accomplish all the things He promised pre-election. And look at all the incredible things President Trump has accomplished!! All the lies, corruption, illegal activities of the Communists has not worked and they have lost their minds. So, they are planning another ā€œoutbreakā€ of covid which did not work the first time. That is the definition of stupidity, doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. OH! you did not know covid was a planned event, using a pathogen that was created? It is designed to be able to be activate in populations that have been exposed. Thatā€™s why this pathogen has never acted like a virus, why ER Doctors world wide made videos reaching out to other physicians to inform them that this was not a virus. They did not know what it was but definitely not a virus. That the treatment protocols provided by the WHO and the CDC would actually kill patients with this pathogen. The problem was/is that Google removed the videos shortly after they were posted. It is OUR COUNTRY AND WE CAN ELIMINATE THE COMMUNISTS - We are the militia mentioned in the Second Amendment.

4 Likes

Itā€™s 2020 and itā€™s clear, no place is safe! Glad your wife was not harmed. Thatā€™s what I worry about the most! Head on a swivel, hand on the Grips! My wife and I never travel or shop alone, not anymore!

4 Likes

From time to time, the wife has said at hotels and such, ā€œI forgot this or that and am going down to the car to get itā€ No more. Iā€™m going or weā€™re going together regardless of how tired I am.

5 Likes

I have to ask, how do you not use the cart corral?

3 Likes

Good thing your wife is ok. Thanks for sharing your story. All of us can learn from this. I tell my wife, daughter, and son that things like this can happen anytime, any where. I always warn my wife that someone could snatch your purse with your gun in it, and it is best to carry it on you. Glad your wife was not harm and again thanks for sharing your story.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve been waiting for this question. :slight_smile:

When I was a kid, I worked at Kroger as a bagger and parking lot cart boy so to speak.
EVERY cart boy LOVED it when there were carts all over the place or WAY out in the parking lot.
This meant we were not in the store, not near the boss and could enjoy the outdoors for so much longer.

This was even prior to cell phones, where now you see the cart boys WAY out standing by one cart texting.

A follow up: I used to only get my carts from in the store to help the cart boy out, now I get it from outside as the UV light from the sun sterilizes viruses.

5 Likes

Now, at the store, I send my son to the cart corral. I stand with the truck door open, and keep an eye on him. No keys in the ignition, or me in the truck, until everyone else is in.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly how I am as well. Every one in before me

7 Likes

Thank you for the reminder. These days, more than ever, it pays to be situationally aware. Now, this example also reminds us it pays to shop in pairs, at a minimum, and in small teams, to maximize personal security. And as practically everyone here has said, thank goodness your wife was not harmed physically. But the fact remains, events like this can take an emotional and mental toll. So my hope is that your family and loved ones can learn from this lesson and come up with ways to ensure nothing like this ever happens to any of you again. What I can tell you is the area where we live in SW Florida seems safe, so my wife has been going out shopping alone plenty of times. But after reading this, I donā€™t care how safe it feels, I am going with her from now onward.

7 Likes

:open_mouth: Sorry to hear this man :confounded: at least the bank caught the fraud.

Bottom line I took from this is: 1) be aware 24/7/365, it CAN happen to you, and 2) if you take a gun for personal protection outside of the home, have it on your hip with one in the chamber 24/7/365, otherwise you might as well just hand the gun to the first shady character you come across since the end results are similar anyways.

If the gun is not ON YOU AND LOADED, itā€™s a paper weight.

7 Likes

My constant training with the well armed womenā€™s gun club teaches me every day to always live in the yellow. My head is always moving,I Think about every move I make. I automatically lock my car door when I get in my car, even in my driveway at home.When I return a cart my car door is locked, always. There is no safe place.We must always be one step ahead of the criminals.Be alert, be aware, be relaxed, the criminals usually know who they canā€™t mess with. Iā€™m so happy she wasnā€™t harmed.

5 Likes